Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do our dogs love us?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Maybe I'm quite fanciful in thinking that my 15 week old labrador pup loves me, but I love her and I like to think it's reciprocated. She's my companion and best friend. I spend a lot of time at home due to illness, and she is the best company you can have. She loves cuddles, is always happy to see me, and likes to be close to me.

Some animal behaviourists believe that dogs are incapable of love, that they act how they do out of survival instinct, but I don't think that's true. Dogs often stay with owners who are less than ideal.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think they do! They'll often pine if their owner dies or goes away, so they must love them.

I have a friend who studied psychology in college, and he was playing with my kitten and saying about how cats don't feel love, they just feel want. So they want you, they want to be with you, they enjoy being with you, but they don't love you as such.

And he also said that dogs feel pure love, as pure as love can be. They're just obsessed with you, and adore you. And they feel unconditional love, so it's better than a human's love.

But then he said "of course there's no such thing as love anyway". :D

I like to think my dogs love me. I like to think my cats love me too though! I think they do, but I know they'd go find another home if I didn't feed them . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He better - the amount of money he costs me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

tk123 wrote: »
    He better - the amount of money he costs me! :D

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Depends on your definition of love.

The old phrase "dog- like devotion" has a reality. Scary at times.

But whether that can or indeeed should be compared to what we as humans mean as love is another matter entirely.

They need us certainly. And bond so strongly with their person that that bond can survive death.

And it is that that we sometimes mistake for love?

Cats also do, especially if hand reared.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of love.

The old phrase "dog- like devotion" has a reality. Scary at times.

But whether that can or indeeed should be compared to what we as humans mean as love is another matter entirely.

They need us certainly. And bond so strongly with their person that that bond can survive death.

And it is that that we sometimes mistake for love?

I suppose by love I mean, do they have an affection for us that surpasses the fact that we provide for them and are their pack leader. I don't think human and canine emotions are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So refreshing to hear that! I believe my cats "love" me every bit as much as my dog does. Most people won't believe me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You can't look at this photo and tell me dogs don't feel love! That is a look of sheer adoration right there :)

4742154455_c6f4a02003.jpg

i-digress wrote: »
    I suppose by love I mean, do they have an affection for us that surpasses the fact that we provide for them and are their pack leader. I don't think human and canine emotions are the same.

That almost says it all in a nutshell.. Thank you.

And like all critters, they suffer 'skin hunger"; ie like us they need physical contact.

Maybe we interpret the idea of "unconditional love" wrongly in human terms also.

Mistaking that bonding for something else; eg Bill Sykes' dog in Oliver Twist that refuses to leave a cruel master.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im not sure about "love" in our definition of the word.But, ive no doubt our pets feel some sort of connection whether it be comfort,contentness,security,happiness..or all of them. I think we may all be guilty of anthropomorphising (thats a hard word to spell) our pets so what we feel isnt necessarily what they do. I do think alot of domesticated animals bond with their owners and have emotions so i dont totally rule it out either.

The pure excitement i got from my dog when she used to see me coming in the door was enough to convince me there was a whole lot of "happy" goin on with her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Spadina wrote: »
    You can't look at this photo and tell me dogs don't feel love! That is a look of sheer adoration right there :)

4742154455_c6f4a02003.jpg

That is a fantastic picture. I'm jealous I don't have one like it!

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    So refreshing to hear that! I believe my cats "love" me every bit as much as my dog does. Most people won't believe me. :(

I think cats are more intelligent complicated animals, that can love people every bit as much as dogs, but just have more complex emotions than dogs maybe.

Like my dogs love me, but they'd love any person who was nice to them. My cats have built up a bond with me over time (as have the dogs, but they loved me straight away!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My opinion on cats anyways is that some do love their owners, cats aren't really pack animals as such some do like being in groups or having one or two other special cat buddies but the fact that they aren't all 100% pack animals means the fact they want to be around you and miss you if you're gone means they love you even more than pooches which are pack animals and all hate being without their pack member.

My dogs rely on me and need me but they are such users, people say that about cats which isn't true. I'm my dogs security and that's why they cling and want to be around me, plus I provide the food.

Ah who knows really at the end of the day we can't read their minds..yet eh..

My dogs rely on me and need me but they are such users, people say that about cats which isn't true. I'm my dogs security and that's why they cling and want to be around me, plus I provide the food.

I definitely agree with that! Not trying to turn this into a dogs vs cats thing, cos I love both, but it seems like my dogs always want me to give them attention/affection, but my cats will give me affection more than I give them. One of my cats gets fed by the neighbours (a few neighbours and gets better food than I give him!) so he has no need for me, but he stays here all the time and is the most affectionate cat ever.

My opinion on cats anyways is that some do love their owners, cats aren't really pack animals as such some do like being in groups or having one or two other special cat buddies but the fact that they aren't all 100% pack animals means the fact they want to be around you and miss you if you're gone means they love you even more than pooches which are pack animals and all hate being without their pack member.

Ah who knows really at the end of the day we can't read their minds..yet eh..

My cats are shameless "users" of me. Utterly shameless! Wee manipulative furry ....:)

My cats are shameless "users" of me. Utterly shameless! Wee manipulative furry ....:)

I've had cats like that too! :) One of my cats abandoned me for the neighbours! She still came back to me for food, but then spent the whole day with the neighbours.

But I have one cat (the abandoner's daughter) who is the crankiest cat ever, hates other cats, would scratch anyone as soon as look at them, but she's loyal and had always stuck around. And sometimes, she's really really friendly and nice to me, so I think she might actually like me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just to counter that "aaaaahhhh" doggy picture :D

108424.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862096

peasant wrote: »
    just to counter that "aaaaahhhh" doggy picture :D

108424.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862096

Aw! So cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

My dog lived with me for two years after being abused by his previous owner. A lot of time and effort was spent in gaining his trust, then his friendship and now I believe his love.
    I had to make the tough decision to let him move in with my parents so he could spend his day in a big garden with their dog, cat and ducks... so lots of activity and generally following my Dad around country lanes and fields all day. This was opposed to living in a 2 bed house with me, being locked in on his own while I was at work.

So in Paddy's eyes my Dad would be leader of the pack and Mum the provider as she supplies dinner..... but when I turn up I get a mental ginger lab bombing around the garden at speed, following me everywhere (he has to be locked in the kitchen if I go out without him until at least 10 mins after I've gone), he usually chooses to sleep with Alfie and Jess (Cat and Dog) in the barn unless I'm home - then he sleeps outside my bedroom door. He loves me more than a fat kid loves cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Maybe I'm quite fanciful in thinking that my 15 week old labrador pup loves me, but I love her and I like to think it's reciprocated. She's my companion and best friend. I spend a lot of time at home due to illness, and she is the best company you can have. She loves cuddles, is always happy to see me, and likes to be close to me.

Some animal behaviourists believe that dogs are incapable of love, that they act how they do out of survival instinct, but I don't think that's true. Dogs often stay with owners who are less than ideal.

What do you guys think?
    Absolute bull****, GUARANTEE that dog loves you, they behave exactly like a child would, especially if you spend most of your time together, panics if you leave, gets depressed if away from each other too long, jumps all over you when you come in like a child would when you got in from work, they cuddle you, protect you play with you, Dogs are absolutely by far the best companions EVER. All they ever do is love you, every single time without fail when you come home they are absolutely over the moon to see you........Love dogs ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I firmly believe you will never know true unconditional love until you've had a dog. Their love is so honest and refreshing, no hidden agendas, they wear their heart on their sleeve and make no excuses for it. Do dogs love in the same way as humans? No, they do it better :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ShnakeHunter

What do you guys think?

Ive a labrador pup aswell. bout 20 weeks old. i think it takes a while for them to bond with you he hasnt made dat bond yet but i yhink he will. had 2 other labradors and they were loyal to us . i believe this is love

Still wouldn't call it "love" though.

Simply because the dogs have no choice in the matter. They "love" whoever ends up owning them (even right cruel bastards sometimes), they don't run off and live with the neighbour down the road because they "love" them more and they don't fall out of "love" either and divorce you because they've "moved on".:D

Dogs are conditioned by nature to live (and thrive!) in a structured, social group environement. Give them that and they'll be happy and show it to you.
    Don't give them quite as much as they want and they'll come begging for it, giving you the feeling that they "love" you when all they want is recognition and attention.

But "love" or no "love" ...they still are brilliant companions and it certainly does us no harm to love them anyway, even if they might not strictly love us.

the dogs have no choice in the matter. They "love" whoever ends up owning them (even right cruel bastards sometimes), us.

While I don't think human love and doggy love is the same, when children are taken away from parents who beat them the kids often scream because they want to stay with their parents, even though they're treated badly. I think maybe dogs love like kids who never grow up.

What do you guys think?
    I guess they never heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi !!!
    Our dogs love us and we love them to bits too.
    I feel sorry for people who claim dogs don't even have personalities, they can't have kept dogs or have any interest in them :confused:

lrushe wrote: »
    I firmly believe you will never know true unconditional love until you've had a dog. Their love is so honest and refreshing, no hidden agendas, they wear their heart on their sleeve and make no excuses for it. Do dogs love in the same way as humans? No, they do it better :D

It is a need-love only; not denigrating or minimising it in any way.

Not better; different is all. Anthropomorphism is a dangerous thing.

human love is totally different is all; and it can be and is a fuller one. Dog love is two dimensional; human love is multi-faceted. Needs more thought and care is all!

So dog love is easier. Limited though of course.

So no they do not do it better. Very limited is all.

Still wouldn't call it "love" though.

Simply because the dogs have no choice in the matter. They "love" whoever ends up owning them (even right cruel bastards sometimes), they don't run off and live with the neighbour down the road because they "love" them more and they don't fall out of "love" either and divorce you because they've "moved on".:D

Dogs are conditioned by nature to live (and thrive!) in a structured, social group environement. Give them that and they'll be happy and show it to you.
    Don't give them quite as much as they want and they'll come begging for it, giving you the feeling that they "love" you when all they want is recognition and attention.

But "love" or no "love" ...they still are brilliant companions and it certainly does us no harm to love them anyway, even if they might not strictly love us.

Good assessment and honest! Thank you.

We tend to see what WE need in any relationship, don;t we?

I am fairly new to dogs; well, five years now I suppose. So I see it differently I suppose. And our second dog, the collie, so abused, has been a baptism of fire in many ways.

So her dire needs are what are most apparent. the giving has been one-sided in so many ways. No regrets; we are here to serve after all.

And she is healing but slowly and that is what matters.

I love how when I got my puppy, she just loved me straight away, pertty much the same with kittens. :) But then animals like my rabbits and guinea pigs, you have to work so hard to gain their trust and "love" if they ever do love you. But then when they do something like lick your hand, it's so rewarding because you've literally put months of work into that.

morganafay wrote: »
    I love how when I got my puppy, she just loved me straight away, pertty much the same with kittens. :) But then animals like my rabbits and guinea pigs, you have to work so hard to gain their trust and "love" if they ever do love you. But then when they do something like lick your hand, it's so rewarding because you've literally put months of work into that.

I don't want or ask that of any animal; only they they be themselves and happy with being themselves.

Would hate for eg wild birds to eat from my hand.

When we lived on a pine marten;s patch we were so careful not to "tame" her in any way; that would have diminished her nature and her beauty

And the same with the dogs; any training is for their safety only. So no tricks etc.

That is my way of loving them. Which to me matters more than if they love me. Leaving them free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

It is a need-love only; not denigrating or minimising it in any way.

Not better; different is all. Anthropomorphism is a dangerous thing.

human love is totally different is all; and it can be and is a fuller one. Dog love is two dimensional; human love is multi-faceted. Needs more thought and care is all!

So dog love is easier. Limited though of course.

So no they do not do it better. Very limited is all.

And sometimes I think people over think things too much, of course logically I could sit down and reason that my dogs loves me because of X,Y and Z but I'd rather take their 'love' at face value and enjoy it for what it is. Even people have reasons for loving another person so what makes dogs any different or their love of any less value?

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    what makes dogs any different or their love of any less value?

Personally, I value my dogs' "love" immensely.

[hairsplitting exercise]
    Love by definition is a human emotion. Dogs, as animals, are incapable of experiencing/feeling/expressing human love (as it is defined). Human love, over and above a raft of feelings and emotions (which dogs also experience to a degree) also calls for the involvement of a rational component which dogs simply do not possess
    [/hairsplitting exercise]

Advertisement