Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The drugs thread

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

since there is a thread discussing smoking i thought that there should be one about drugs?Have you ever done drugs?What are your experiences?Do you think that some illegal drugs should be legalised?

I've never touched anything that i didn't get in a pharmacy and I don't intent to change,although i've been offered plenty of times.i would be in favour of legalising cannabis and some head shop highs too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

At Glastonbury this weekend there were people storlling through the crowds just shouting out 'MDMA, E, Charlie' and waving little bags around. Not into it myself, but I do like taking the piss out of the ones who walk up to me saying '...need any, stuff?' 'Yeah a maxi twist would be lovely thanks.' Or 'awright for pills, love? 'I'd have a few ibuprofen if you've got any.' They look so very confused. Bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pretty sure this has come up before.....

In favour of legalising almost everything and taxing it. That way you could buy stuff that wasn't funding criminal activity AND you'd know it's clean.

At Glastonbury this weekend there were people storlling through the crowds just shouting out 'MDMA, E, Charlie' and waving little bags around. Not into it myself, but I do like taking the piss out of the ones who walk up to me saying '...need any, stuff?' 'Yeah a maxi twist would be lovely thanks.' Or 'awright for pills, love? 'I'd have a few ibuprofen if you've got any.' They look so very confused. Bless them.

Sure we made a pact the first time we met anyway!

What did we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I've smoked a bit of Hash and I've tried weed.
    That's all the drugs I have ever and will ever go near.In my opinion marijuana is a much safer drug than most other illegal drugs [class b/a drugs] it's not far removed from tobacco and is completely safe[in the short term at least,no real chance of instant death from use] and isn't "cut" near as much or with chemicals as dangerous as other drugs

As for the sh*t in headshops,it's not legal,there's just no law against it,those are two very different things.I'd much prefer to use the illegal,tried and tested and proven drug than an un proven and as more research is showing much more deadly form of the illegal chemicals.

My general philosophy,if it grows it goes.So: Nicotine[tobacco],THC[weed] and Ethanol[Booze] are all the drugs I would ever have any interest in and in that order most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Fad wrote: »
    In favour of legalising almost everything and taxing it.
    I wouldn't say almost everything.I think that if a drug was to be legalised then it should have to go through strict testing just like medicines to make sure that one dose wouldn't kill you ordo serious damage.Also certain drugs liike coke are notorious for making people aggressive and i definitely don't think that it should be legal.

I wouldn't say almost everything.I think that if a drug was to be legalised then it should have to go through strict testing just like medicines to make sure that one dose wouldn't kill you ordo serious damage.Also certain drugs liike coke are notorious for making people aggressive and i definitely don't think that it should be legal.
    As is alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well by that logic radiotherapy should be disallowed,the pump posionous radioactive waste into your system,not enough to kill you but just enough to kill of the badness.

EVERY drug has side effects,something like aspirin can kill you if you have a heart condition[it thins the blood quite a lot]

Alchohol has to be one of the worst IMO,apart from thinning your blood it has no benefit to your body at all[it literally is just a poison] and will chew your insides to bit over time [sclerosis of the liver is nasty,nasty condition and a lot of irish people live with it]

As is alcohol
    It's only legal because people have been using it for thousands of years.If alcohol was discovered tomorrow then I don't think that it would be legal,and the same goes for tobacco.

We live in a nanny state that doesn't allow us the freedom to use drugs if we want to even if we know that they aren't going to do us serious damage.Instead we have to trust in the judgements of others who claim to know what's best for us even though they refuse to even have a debate about legalising drugs.

well by that logic radiotherapy should be disallowed,the pump posionous radioactive waste into your system,not enough to kill you but just enough to kill of the badness.

EVERY drug has side effects,something like aspirin can kill you if you have a heart condition[it thins the blood quite a lot]
    The reason why these are legal is because they cure diseases,you take them because you have to,not because you want to.every drug has side effects but that shouldn't stop you from taking it.my point was that recreational drugs shouldn't be legalised if taking them poses a severe danger to your health even if taken in relatively small amounts.

as for the dangers of alcohol,well these are well doccumented and usually only occur as a result of excessive drinking.You could say the same about fast food,it too can lead too an early death,if eaten excessively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've tried weed and hash once or twice. Wouldn't again, didn't see anything that great about it, plus it seriously messed up my chest.
    I've also seen what it can do to people, a few of my friends smoke it pretty much all day everyday, and they've all become so boring and have nothing to talk about anymore.

I've been offered pretty much everything under the sun at some stage or another, but would never try anything else, I don't think the risks of trying pills/coke/heroin whatever are worth the high. Again a lot of people I know regularly do pills and coke.

I'd be along the same lines of Fad's opinion of legalising most things, there would be so much more control, people are going to take them no matter what, may as well make them as safe as possible and get taxes from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Tbh that's a bit of an illogical argument. In the case of radiotherapy, the good outweighs the bad. It is also a procedure done by nessicity.

I would be in favour of legalising weed, and taxing the feck outta it. 20 pack of cigarettes are usually 8.50€, 20 pack of rolled up weed and tobacco would be 15€, 20€ (not sure of production costs). The government would make a killing, guaranteed clean weed and made as safe to consume as possible (filters, controlled additives). They'd easily undercut illegal channels. It'd cut out a huge amount of drug-funded crime.

However, I would not be in favour of legalising anything "harder" than weed. Drugs with proven dangerous mental effects such as ecstasy, cocaine, LSD and heroin and so on should remain controlled substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Never have and never will tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

One of my flatmates during first year was a complete stoner, as I'm sure I've mentioned here several times before. Living with him and seeing the effects of whatever he and his friends were taking at the time, and even idle small-talk about what his weekend/night out entailed, has done more to put me off drugs of any description than all the health warnings and awareness programmes in the world.

As well as that though, I think I would have gone off the idea of drugs anyway. I used to be ambivalent about/mildly-pro legalising a few things when I was younger, but I'm not so much anymore. I'm not a fan of the so-called nanny-state or anything, but it would be a seriously bad move to send out the message that smoking weed or popping pills or whatever is considered safe enough to be acceptable. I don't accept the double-standard argument either, that alcohol and tobacco are considered safe when everything else isn't; it should be clear from just how heavily restricted the sale of those things are (and the restriction is in general getting heavier) that they are unhealthy (for the most part- there is such a thing as responsible drinking), and should be treated as such.

One final note: I was absolutely delighted when the head shops closed a couple of months ago because the stuff they sell smells fúcking disgusting, and the aforementioned bastard flatmate stoner couldn't stink the place up with it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Never have and never will tbh.

+1. Never. Watching Jeremy Kyle has taught me many life lessons tbh :o
    And that thing about alcohol ginja said is kinda scary.

What did we do?

We'd only try non-Irish E, Acid and Mary Jane!
    That's all the drugs I have ever and will ever go near.In my opinion marijuana is a much safer drug than most other illegal drugs [class b/a drugs] it's not far removed from tobacco and is completely safe[in the short term at least,no real chance of instant death from use] and isn't "cut" near as much or with chemicals as dangerous as other drugs

Having never tried weed, more out of reluctance to take drugs bought in Ireland than anything else, I cant say it for sure, but from what I have been told, weed in Ireland is almost always sprayed with something to make it heavier (I have heard fiberglass mentioned, and that genuinely worried me)

Side effects of lots of legally prescribed drugs make people aggressive too, it depends on the person. The thing about coke/and stuff along those lines is that it has years and years of research behind it, mephedrone and all that muck doesn't.

If people are supplied PURE drugs and are told what dosage levels to follow, everything would probably be much safer. If people ignore those levels, that's their call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boudy

Well as said above weed/hash/pollen should be legalized for the reasons as said above. as for harder drugs it gets more complicated, personally i believe they should, heroin should be made available for addicts as it would be distributed by doctors/ nurses in a safe and clean environment in adequate amounts for the user in conjunction with a rehab programme.cocaine/extacy i believe ok also because once the product is made clean it solves a lot of problems straight away and once the dangers are made very clear, have drug awareness ads on tv like alcohol and tobacco. in believe acid should not be made legal though, thats another level compared to cocaine/extacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Never have and never will. I tend to find drug users to be either a bit boring or impossible to relate to.

I don't know or care enough about the legalisation of drugs. Generally when the subject is brought up I have to reply along the lines of "Shut the fúck up and find something else to do".

In terms of people who buy illegal drugs, I feel a bit uneasy about them handing money over to criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd be in favour of legalising everything really, that way steps can be made to make sure it isn't being sold to kids and a massive amount of revenue would be taken out of the hands of murdering gangs and into the hands of the government. Okay so it would be taken out of the hands of your friendly local stoner as well but on balance, probably worth it.

I think the double standard argument does stand up; if you can drink, smoke or eat yourself to death as long as you're paying tax on it, why is does it suddenly clock over to "wrong and immoral" to pill yourself to death? Just ****ing tax it. Also the amount of garda/court time and resources spent chasing and processing people who possess or supply weed is ridiculous, considering they're likely to be law-abiding, non-violent people apart from that.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    I would be in favour of legalising weed, and taxing the feck outta it. 20 pack of cigarettes are usually 8.50€, 20 pack of rolled up weed and tobacco would be 15€, 20€ (not sure of production costs). The government would make a killing, guaranteed clean weed and made as safe to consume as possible (filters, controlled additives). They'd easily undercut illegal channels. It'd cut out a huge amount of drug-funded crime.

Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I've tried weed a few times, and was majorly disappointed.
    The first time I spent maybe 5-10 minutes maximum ****ting myself laughing at lolcats, which for all I know I would've done anyway.
    The next few times I just didn't really feel any effect at all.
    I was a bit drunk every time though, not sure what effect that would have had, if any.

Oh, to answer the OPs questions I think it probably should be legalised, if only to stop wasting the courts/gardaís time and get a bit of tax money from it.
    No reason for that to be illegal when alcohol isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I've done drugs, and do when the occasion arises. I'd never go out of my way to get drugs though, alcohol is generally much more enjoyable. Apart from that time we were smoking while watching The Blue Planet...

There are some drugs I wouldn't touch, most notably heroin and E. Heroin because I've seen Requiem For A Dream and it was truly terrifying. And E because more so than most other drugs, you literally have no idea what is in the stuff.
    Fad wrote: »
    Pretty sure this has come up before.....

In favour of legalising almost everything and taxing it. That way you could buy stuff that wasn't funding criminal activity AND you'd know it's clean.

I wouldn't really agree with this. I know from the head shops becoming popular that people would just end up doing more drugs. My friends started smoking a lot more than they used to when they found out about the headshops nearby, they'd get stuff two or three or four times a week. Now that the shops are closed, they sometimes get weed, maybe once or twice a month.

Ok, granted, anecdotal evidence isn't exactly damming proof, but it's the way I'd see it. With easier access, I can see a lot more people being attracted by drugs.

One of my flatmates during first year was a complete stoner,
    I was in the same situation as you.My flatmate didn't go to any lectures and used to smoke a couple of joints a day as well as some head shop stuff and speed.He was the messiest person I've ever met and was fairly dopy as a result of all of this drug use.this really put me off doing drugs,ever.

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't know or care enough about the legalisation of drugs. Generally when the subject is brought up I have to reply along the lines of "Shut the fúck up and find something else to do".

In terms of people who buy illegal drugs, I feel a bit uneasy about them handing money over to criminals.

To be fair, that's usually given as a pretty good reason for legalisation, when people do buy drugs it'll be going towards the state and not criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've tried weed, that's about it. (Although I did take mephedrone about a week before that headshop law came in and it was banned) Was offered speed once but didn't accept it.

I'm strongly in favour of legalising weed. Not sure about other drugs. Though I think the Government's new headshop laws are ridiculous and bordering on the nanny-state side of things.

I've tried weed, that's about it. (Although I did take mephedrone about a week before that headshop law came in and it was banned) Was offered speed once but didn't accept it.

I'm strongly in favour of legalising weed. Not sure about other drugs. Though I think the Government's new headshop laws are ridiculous and bordering on the nanny-state side of things.

Agree with that, but they did need to be much more regulated than they were, you can't really rely on drug dealers to be responsible on their own. Though there have been head shops around for years before the recent hullabaloo kicked off, the funky skunk in Cork and a few in Galway were around for yonks, feel kind of bad for them getting tarred with the same brush as the ones who caused all the bother by selling to under-age people/giving stuff on tick/not making the risks clear etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I haven't tried any droogs yet, and I'm not really too pressed about it either, seeing as pot is the only one I'd have any real interest in. Maybe acid, but I've heard off-putting things about that. The rest of them; heroin, cocaine, meth, PCP and all those other nasty chaps I think I'll stay away from. They're just plain bad.

The fact is I'm not that into alcohol, a drug I can legally buy, so other drugs aren't a huge deal.

Though I think the Government's new headshop laws are ridiculous and bordering on the nanny-state side of things.

Muggings are down 500% since the ban, Joe Duffy said it so it must not be painfully impossible and pulled out of the ass of someone who doesn't understand percentages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Agree with that, but they did need to be much more regulated than they were, you can't really rely on drug dealers to be responsible on their own. Though there have been head shops around for years before the recent hullabaloo kicked off, the funky skunk in Cork and a few in Galway were around for yonks, feel kind of bad for them getting tarred with the same brush as the ones who caused all the bother by selling to under-age people/giving stuff on tick/not making the risks clear etc

No problems with them wanting to regulate it a bit; they could have done so reasonably if they had put any sort of effort into it. Slapping a ban on everything without any research, on the other hand, was just a foolish knee-jerk response that pandered to the vocal "ALL DRUGS ARE EVIL AND ARE KILLING AND RAPING OUR PRECIOUS CHILDREN" minority.
    Pygmalion wrote:
    Muggings are down 500% since the ban, Joe Duffy said it so it must not be painfully impossible and pulled out of the ass of someone who doesn't understand percentages.

Oh wiat....Joe says drugs are bad? Well then they must be!
    I was wrong; ALL DRUGS ARE EVIL AND ARE KILLING AND RAPING OUR PRECIOUS CHILDREN. ALL HAIL THE HEADSHOP BAN! RABBLE RABBLE something about Clontarf RABBLE. :mad:

No problems with them wanting to regulate it a bit; they could have done so reasonably if they had put any sort of effort into it. Slapping a ban on everything without any research, on the other hand, was just a foolish knee-jerk response that pandered to the vocal "ALL DRUGS ARE EVIL AND ARE KILLING AND RAPING OUR PRECIOUS CHILDREN" minority.

Yeah definitely, seemed like it was easier for teenagers to get mephedrone than cans of beer at one point though, which wasn't good. A knee jerk reaction was ridiculous though, I was actually listening to Liveline the day the ban came in (my mother had control of the radio), and it was infuriating, all these mammies ringing in saying thank god, my son took DRUGS AND THEN HE FELT THE EFFECTS, the shops are closed so now he'll never be able to do that again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

My general philosophy,if it grows it goes.So: Nicotine[tobacco],THC[weed] and Ethanol[Booze] are all the drugs I would ever have any interest in and in that order most of the time

Mescaline[peyote, san pedro], Opium[opium poppies], Cocaine[coca], Salvinorin A[salvia], DMT, 5 Meo DMT, Bufotenin[hundreds of plants], Psilocybin, psilocin[magic musrooms] etc etc etc..............

Your general philosophy is going to lead to some pretty mental weekends man....have fun....:D

Advertisement