Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The drugs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but though I'd give my opinion and experiences on this.

I never touched drugs until I came to college where I was introduced to weed, hash, and the head-shop equivalents. And I liked them. A lot. I smoked a few joints with my mates at least once a week during the first year of college and never had a bad experience with it during all that time. In general my friends from back home wouldnt be into that stuff but there are some who I'd smoke with now and then. We dont smoke nearly as often in college these days but thats not really because I don't want to its more a case of weed being hard to find in Galway a while back and the closure of the head shops. Also even before head-shops were shut down some of my friends refused to use any of their products as they had some very bad experiences with them- I had a pretty strange experience off a certain cannabis substitute known as firefly, it started off as a great buzz but turned into a few hours of paranoia and hallucination (I've never watched Firefly but if its anything like the drug it must be fairly intense). I only ever got that off the one particular substance however.

Meanwhile in second year of college I tried some harder drugs mainly head-shop versions of cocaine. I've never took actual coke but I took a few different types of powder that were supposed to be like it. Some of them made me high as a kite, some made just kept me awake. I'm kinda glad they are off the market (well the legal market at any rate) because I was just taking them too often, not to the point of addiction or anything, but more than I feel comfortable with looking back on it. I often refused to take mephedrone but eventually did at a house party in Waterford a few months ago (Incidentally its the only time I've been in Waterford so that county will forever be associated in my mind with drug abuse- sorry Waterford people :o ) It was highly enjoyable at the time but I dont know If I'd take it again. I took ecstasy once and had a great time and didnt get any bad results from it- I've been told the first time is always the only time you escape the 'skag' the next day however. Cant say I wouldnt try it again.

And so thats my entire first-hand experience of illegal drugs. And like many others who have posted here I feel that illegal drugs should be legalised and taxed by the government in a effort to curb gangland crimes and raise governement revenue. In fact I've been writing letters to the paper about it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I think they should all be legalised and regulated. I'd be happy (and would gain a lot of respect for humanity) if Cannabis, Psilocybin products (Mushrooms etc.), LSD and MDMA were made legal though.

There's so much to gain from using any of the above in the right manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I've never tried drugs of any description. I'm all for their legalisation, for many of the reasons that people have already mentioned, including the tax revenue that would result and the huge effects it would have on reducing gangland crimes and activity in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

Smoked: Weed, hash, head-shop equivalents regularly for about 2 years now.
    Snorted: Mephedrone often for a period of about 3 months, cocaine once, speed a few times,
    Taken: Ecstasy several occasions but not regularly, some head shop pills, notably bzp

In general my experience of drugs has been good, but there have been downsides which i, at the time and now, clearly recognised.

Getting stoned all the time does make you lazy and kills motivation but besides that its a fun and entertaining way to pass the time. The trick is to make you sure you only do it when you genuinely have time to kill and not when you should be in college.

As for the harder stuff I'd happily take ecstasy every other fortnight but would generally stay away from the rest. they just werent that fun, they were expensive(especially coke its like champagne, its nice but its a rip off and if you cant afford it there's similiar better value substances)

Drugs didnt ruin my life, they improved it in some narrow respects but overall have had very little effect on who i am. I think the most important thing to remember is that it all depends on the person and their level of cop on.

Would agree with complete legalisation for everything apart from heroin, obviously.
    there's too much revenue being lost to scumbag crime lords to justify the 'war on drugs'
    this is just my humble opinion, i realise drugs arent for everyone nor should everyone try them im just saying they did relatively little harm and in comparison to my alcohol consumption i would say very little.

marglin wrote: »
    Taken: Ecstasy several occasions but not regularly, some head shop pills, notably bzp

I always refused to take that stuff because I'd heard it had some awful effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

A lot of people seem to be for legalising drugs like ecstasy and acid. I'd say that's a long long way off if ever happens. In most people's eyes they're nothing like cannabis. Cannabis, like alcohol, can be abused but can also be enjoyed in a social context. People take acid and ecstasy purely to get ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

A lot of people seem to be for legalising drugs like ecstasy and acid. I'd say that's a long long way off if ever happens. In most people's eyes they're nothing like cannabis. Cannabis, like alcohol, can be abused but can also be enjoyed in a social context. People take acid and ecstasy purely to get ****ed.
    Well the same could be said for alchohol,the vast majority of people drink it for the effects, that's why it's called "going drinking" it's not the social side of it solely it's alchohol for alchohol's sake.Which is,in essence taking acid or ecstasy purely for the high

Ecstasy is probably the most social drug there is. But yes I doubt those drugs will ever be legalized as much as I believe they should be- Cannabis legalization on the other hand is something I can see happening even if it takes a few decades for politicians to grow a pair and suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Hmm I wrote an essay in one of my exams on the pros and cons of legalising drugs. Can't remember all of my points but I'll throw down what I can think of.

Pros: If drugs are legalised, there will be a hell of a lot more control over them. There would be a lot less chance of stuff like rat poison being mixed in, hopefully decreasing deaths because of that. Also, quantities could be somewhat regulated, and hopefully strict age guidelines and things like that. Obviously a plus would be the reduction in illegal activity, drug dealers would go out of business, and there would be a huge increase in revenue for the government, which lets face it, we could really do with at the moment. Obviously though, the laws would have to very strict and it would have to be heavily regulated for it to be anyway successful.

Cons: It could all go completely wrong, and drug use would increase hugely, etc. etc. It could be seen as encouraging drugs and their use. There would be major risks involved with it, we all know how easy it is for underage people to alcohol and cigarettes, some drugs are a lot more serious, dangerous and dangerously addictive than alcohol or drugs.

I can't remember much more than that. But I think it would be risky legalising them, but there essentially would be a lot more control over drugs, than we have now.

Personally, I went through a faze of smoking quite a lot of hash/weed there was a while me and my friend did every day. I've never done anything other than that though, and I don't think I would. A lot of my friends do just about everything, and it's just not for me, I don't like being drunk, so I can't imagine myself enjoying being overly high. I would probably smoke every now and then still, but the main reason I stopped was because I started donating blood. I'd much rather do something useful like that, that will actually benefit someone then sit around getting stoned. I haven't touched anything in a year, last new years eve was the last time I do believe.

Well the same could be said for alchohol,the vast majority of people drink it for the effects, that's why it's called "going drinking" it's not the social side of it solely it's alchohol for alchohol's sake.Which is,in essence taking acid or ecstasy purely for the high

I think you underestimate just how many older people only drink occasionally.

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_272b_en.pdf

That's a survey on drinking across Europe. Only 34% of Irish respondents said they usually drink more than 5 drinks on one occasion.

• Advertisement

Ecstasy is probably the most social drug there is. But yes I doubt those drugs will ever be legalized as much as I believe they should be- Cannabis legalization on the other hand is something I can see happening even if it takes a few decades for politicians to grow a pair and suggest it.

Sorry I should have expanded on that. I meant more inviting your friends round for a few drinks/dinner etc.

I wouldn't go as far as to legalise drugs like LSD. It can be dangerously hallucinatory.

I'm all for legalising drugs where the risk in taking them is understood and accepted by the users and is on a similar scale to alcohol or tobacco, like cannabis.

Deciding which drugs are 'worse' would be up to somebody with a lot more information than I have.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Personally, I went through a faze of smoking quite a lot of hash/weed there was a while me and my friend did every day. I've never done anything other than that though, and I don't think I would. A lot of my friends do just about everything, and it's just not for me, I don't like being drunk, so I can't imagine myself enjoying being overly high. I would probably smoke every now and then still, but the main reason I stopped was because I started donating blood. I'd much rather do something useful like that, that will actually benefit someone then sit around getting stoned. I haven't touched anything in a year, last new years eve was the last time I do believe.

I was chatting to a friend of mine on St Stephens night who I hadn't seen in a while. He used to take all sorts of sort but said he hasn't so much as smoked a joint in months. I think he was just taking them way too often for a while though and it wasn't a good way to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Does anyone know if amphetamines ( I think I spelt it right!) are legal in Ireland? I dont think they are because they arent in the UK so I figured Id ask :D.

I havent tried I guess 'proper drugs' but Ive took too many pills, really stupid idea. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I dunno if I ever posted here..

I'd never ever take drugs. Like I wouldn't even touch a cigarette box 'cos I'm so set against anything like them (Probably sounds so lame) but it's just my view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I dunno if I ever posted here..

I'd never ever take drugs. Like I wouldn't even touch a cigarette box 'cos I'm so set against anything like them (Probably sounds so lame) but it's just my view on it.

On that point, would you drink alcohol?

On that point, would you drink alcohol?

Uggggh I'd reply but then I looked at your sig.

Uggggh I'd reply but then I looked at your sig.
    So you don't have an answer?

So you don't have an answer?

Clearly I do. If you'd have read my post properly I stated I wouldn't "take" any drugs. I should have clarified I meant any illegal drugs, and cigarettes.

Clearly I do. If you'd have read my post properly I stated I wouldn't "take" any drugs. I should have clarified I meant any illegal drugs, and cigarettes.

That's a very fallacious answer. By including cigarettes you are implying that the health risks are the problem, not the illegality of the substances, and that means that, as consuming alcohol is irrefutably more harmful than, say, marijuana, you should therefore be as "set against" that as you are against marijuana (which I assume you are, as you do say all illegal drugs). If you are not you are essentially confirming that your being "set against" certain drugs, and not alcohol, is merely an irrational prejudice.

• Advertisement

That's a very fallacious answer. By including cigarettes you are implying that the health risks are the problem, not the illegality of the substances, and that means that, as consuming alcohol is irrefutably more harmful than, say, marijuana, you should therefore be as "set against" that as you are against marijuana (which I assume you are, as you do say all illegal drugs). If you are not you are essentially confirming that your being "set against" certain drugs, and not alcohol, is merely an irrational prejudice.

Clearly you're just looking for a debate (As I assume it provides you great pleasure) but I'm going to be the mature one and walk away from this.

Clearly you're just looking for a debate (As I assume it provides you great pleasure) but I'm going to be the mature one and walk away from this.
    No. I would not be likely to have what I would term a "debate" with you. I am merely suggesting you reconsider your own opinions and prejudices, ie. that you educate yourself. Even a mild and weak explanation of your reasoning for your view, should such a reasoning exist, will not be met with anything approaching "debate" on my part.

Discussion, rather than debate, is what I'd like to engage in.

No. I would not be likely to have what I would term a "debate" with you. I am merely suggesting you reconsider your own opinions and prejudices, ie. that you educate yourself. Even a mild and weak explanation of your reasoning for your view, should such a reasoning exist, will not be met with anything approaching "debate" on my part.

Discussion, rather than debate, is what I'd like to engage in.

Fair enough.

I'm only portraying my opinion though. It's not as if I'm trying to force it onto anyone. I know that you've got your opinion on it, as do I, and clearly they're different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Only ever smoke hash or weed the odd time, I'd say about twice a year at most.
    I smoke cigarettes though, about 10 a day.

Never had any bad experiences with hash or weed, just the giggles.

It's fallacious to assume that not taking cigarettes is motivated by a perceived health risk. For example, I drink but do not smoke, simply because I don't like smoking. Tried it, didn't like it.

Was offered cocaine last night but didnt take it. I dont think the lad who offered it to me managed to get some in the end anyway. The odd thing in my town is that cocaine seems to be more common than weed or hash which isnt a good way for things to be.

conorstuff wrote:
    It's fallacious to assume that not taking cigarettes is motivated by a perceived health risk. For example, I drink but do not smoke, simply because I don't like smoking. Tried it, didn't like it.
    No, in this case it's not, due to his post saying "I wouldn't even touch a cigarette box 'cos I'm so set against anything like them (Probably sounds so lame)", implying (by ommission of an "again" or anecdote which would otherwise be present) that he'd never tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No, in this case it's not, due to his post saying "I wouldn't even touch a cigarette box 'cos I'm so set against anything like them (Probably sounds so lame)", implying (by ommission of an "again" or anecdote which would otherwise be present) that he'd never tried them.
    Why is it relevant whether or not he's tried them? Also there are other reasons to dislike smoking than health reasons, not everyone finds the smell very attractive for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Never have and never will

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    Why is it relevant whether or not he's tried them? Also there are other reasons to dislike smoking than health reasons, not everyone finds the smell very attractive for instance.
    I'm going to humor you. My reason is this: by virtue of his lumping it in with other drugs, then stating that he'd never try anything like that, he implied that this reluctance was due to a common trait between cigarettes and all illegal drugs, which can only be the adverse health risks.

Advertisement