Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Social Network *MEGATHREAD*

Options
  • 25-08-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Been hearing bits and pieces about this for a while now, but it appears only to have been officially greenlit in the last couple of days.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/23/david-finchers-social-network-movie-gets-a-greenlight/
    Director David Fincher will follow up his Oscar nominated film “The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button” with a film about Eduardo Saverin and Mark Zuckerberg who are the founders of Facebook.

The film titled The Social Network is based on a book called The Accidental Billionaires by author Ben Mezrich and tells the story of how these Harvard students grew up as best friends and social outsiders. Their constant quest for acceptance within the university and subsequent failings created the basis for Facebook which today has changed the way people all over the world communicate with each other.

If your first reaction is "wtf" then here's an interesting article that goes into a bit more detail:

Aaron Sorkin's Facebook script might actually be amazing.

Will you go and see the social network? 131 votes

Yes I will go to see it... I am on facebook.
    0% 0 votes
    Not interested in seeing it... I am on facebook.
    66% 87 votes
    Yes I will go to see it... I am not on facebook.
    16% 21 votes
    Not interested in seeing it... I am not on facebook.
    17% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

That was a good teaser. Told us nothing about the film but still intrigued.

Still skeptical about the film itself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

anything with justin timberlake in it will be sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

not much in the trailer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

hotspur147 wrote: »
    anything with justin timberlake in it will be sh1te.

You ain't seen "Alpha Dog" so??
    Don't just assume it will be bad because you don't like one actor or his music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Genius? Prophet? For fùck sake, I don't understand how Facebook requires a movie.

Social Networking existed a few years before it (Faceparty, MySpace, etc) somehow this clicked with everyone and he made loads of money.

While I won't dismiss it as shìte I don't really have any intention to see a movie based on one of the most irritating aspects of online life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Genius? Prophet? For fùck sake, I don't understand how Facebook requires a movie.

Social Networking existed a few years before it (Faceparty, MySpace, etc) somehow this clicked with everyone and he made loads of money.

While I won't dismiss it as shìte I don't really have any intention to see a movie based on one of the most irritating aspects of online life.

Seems kind of a petty reason not to want to see the film, although tbh I can't help but be excited for a Fincher project.
    Besides, its not about Facebook itself;more so how it came together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Seems kind of a petty reason not to want to see the film, although tbh I can't help but be excited for a Fincher project.
    Besides, its not about Facebook itself;more so how it came together.

Well, I know it's not about the site itself and I am a fan of Fincher (Though Benjamin Button left a sour taste in my mouth - Forest Gump 2.0 :pac: ). But the topic itself doesn't really hold much water for me. It just sounds like another Pirates Of Silicon Valley.

No doubt it'll be a popular movie and rake in a nice amount thanks to a perfect source for marketing (The site itself!) When it's coming close to release everybody on Facebook will know of this film. The trailer is also grabbing people's attention since it came online the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I started the book the other day and have been enjoying the read.

Really looking forward to the film. I've very high expectations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ Pirates Of Silicon Valley....saw that, not great but watchable. Noah Wyle....i loved how Bill Gates punked IBM and got the rights to the mouse, lol....they were all clueless back then. IBM didn't know what they had with the mouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

** Clicks 'Like' button, although still unsure whether he likes it **

It's a decent cast (Jesse Eisenberg is becoming quite a watchable little actor, and Justin Timberlake isn't the worst singer-turned-actor), a great director (David Fincher) and a great writer (Aaron Sorkin) behind it.

The teaser trailer didn't inspire me, but certainly got my intrigue up. And the combination of one of the greatest directors and one of the finest writers working today (IMO) can't be a bad thing!

socialnetwork_poster-535x791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Well Im certainly excited.David Fincher is a great director, Jesse Eisenberg is very good at what he does, Andrew Garfield for me is one of the best young actors today, Justin Timberlake has shown good potential in a couple of indies all based on some solid good source material.I think a lot of you are just immedietly writing it off because it's about a website which is just a stupid reason really.And this trailer is a teaser you're not to be hugely satisfied with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Duggy747 wrote: »

I think I heard somewhere that the actual fallout after the creation of Facebook makes for quite an interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Did anyone else think this was a joke? I'm still laughing at the trailer/poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

MrSir wrote: »
    ...I think a lot of you are just immedietly writing it off because it's about a website which is just a stupid reason really...
    It's a pretty stupid reason to make a film. I find it pretty easy to empathise with those who wrote it off immediately. If it weren't for the talented people involved, I'd be joining them.

mikhail wrote: »
    It's a pretty stupid reason to make a film. I find it pretty easy to empathise with those who wrote it off immediately. If it weren't for the talented people involved, I'd be joining them.
    Have you read the book?

Have you read the book?
    I think it's pretty obvious that I haven't.

When I said, "It's a pretty stupid reason to make a film," I was referring to the initial buzz I read in various places on the internet which amounted to 'they're making a film about facebook'. That sounds like a terrible idea in the mold of Prince of Persia or GI Joe.

Hollywood's track record doesn't exactly inspire doubt when one hears of an apparently asinine movie concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

So basically a 2 hour advertisement for a big data mining operation, lol, I'm never signing up now.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Will they set up a Facebook page for the film or would that be like typing Google into Google? :confused:

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious that I haven't.

When I said, "It's a pretty stupid reason to make a film," I was referring to the initial buzz I read in various places on the internet which amounted to 'they're making a film about facebook'. That sounds like a terrible idea in the mold of Prince of Persia or GI Joe.

Hollywood's track record doesn't exactly inspire doubt when one hears of an apparently asinine movie concept.
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions if you haven't read the book which is pretty good It's more a movie about business and corruption then Facebook which I think people will need to get past.I think to call this a hollywood film as well is pretty unfair tbh.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if you haven't read the book which is pretty good It's more a movie about business and corruption then Facebook which I think people will need to get past.I think to call this a hollywood film as well is pretty unfair tbh.
    Yeah, all that seems fair in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Thinking this could be be quite good Fincher directing and Sorkin writing the screenplay.

I think I'll reserve judgement till we at least get a trailer, the teaser doesn't do much and appears to have been put together in about 5 minutes. I'm not sure that a film about facebook is cinematic material, it sounds very much like a movie of the week.

Middle Men remains the only film about the internet that I'm looking forward to this year.

^ what is Middle Men about?....Girls Gone Wild or AVN?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are doing the score for this.
    Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Full theatrical trailer with some actual footage from the movie (FINALLY!)

Looks excellent I must say.. am really looking forward to this!

Chuck Bass is in it?....looks ok, might be an interesting watch, on DVD.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm looking forward to this because of the people involved.

• Advertisement

Very impressed with the trailer. Cast seems perfect although i'm trying to figure out what part Rashida Jones is playing.

Really looking forward to this now.

Advertisement