Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Social Network *MEGATHREAD*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Probably be as bad as The Game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Read the script for this last night and it's really good, kept me interested. But as usual with Sorkin, I'm not sure it's really film material. He's more of a playwright than a screenwriter. But I'm not underestimating Fincher, especially after Zodiac, which should have been boring but wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Renn wrote: »
    Probably be as bad as The Game.

As bad as The Game??? I really enjoyed that movie :confused: Please say I'm not the only one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FWIW, I really enjoyed 'The Game' too..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Actually saw The Game for the first time the other day thought it was good myself but a bit ridiculous. Michael Douglas was great in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Looking forward to this aswell! The soundtrack sounds like it will be class! I reckon that it has to become the biggest grossing film ever due to 500 million people being curious about the history of the internet platform that they use everyday and the proper marketing. It was made on a budget of $45 million which seems to be quite big considering it's not an action/adventure and would not really at all on costly special effects. I'd say a big bulk of that will be used for marketing to complement the huge marketing tool that already exists which is of course facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I read the book and I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style of it all. Was waaaaayyyy too fragmented. Fortunately the trailer looks like Fincher knows what he is doing as he always does (Aliens 3 not included).

On a side note, it looks like Mark Zuckerberg will be portrayed as a sympathetic character whereas the book portrays him as ruthless albeit a symptom of his emotional withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Really? I've heard the exact opposite.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Alien 3, while no means a classic, can be considered greatly underrated methinks.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Alien 3, while no means a classic, can be considered greatly underrated methinks.
    Wholeheartedly agree with you there!

'Alien Resurrection' however..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I actually preferred Alien Resurrection over Alien 3. :o I mean c'mon, what a cast! Winona Ryder, Michael Wincott, Ron Perlman and Sigourney Weaver all in the same film! C'mon! :P

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I actually preferred Alien Resurrection over Alien 3. :o I mean c'mon, what a cast! Winona Ryder, Michael Wincott, Ron Perlman and Sigourney Weaver all in the same film! C'mon! :P
    Eurgh.. not me!

Don't know what Joss Whedon was on when he wrote that screenplay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Looking forward to this.

...and as a by-the-by Alien 3 actually stands up to repeat viewing & holds it's own asa standalone movie (just my opinion).

basquille wrote: »
    Eurgh.. not me!

The same thing he was on when he wrote some of the dialogue used in X-Men I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

L'prof wrote: »
    As bad as The Game??? I really enjoyed that movie :confused: Please say I'm not the only one :eek:

It was all pretty much okay up until that ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Eurgh.. not me!

I've read his opinion on it. He was forced to rewrite the ending for budget reasons, and he hated the delivery of nearly every line of dialogue. I keep meaning to read his original script: it's out there if you want to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Kinda confused/annoyed that Ireland is like one of the only countries which for some reason has no release date for this movie. It looks amazing and early critical reception is looking very positive. Unless anybody knows more than me?

http://www.thesocialnetwork-movie.net/international/ has mentioned like every country in the developed world with the exception of ourselves. And ifco.ie wasn't anymore helpful. There's not even any mention of it being released here at all.

Would be very frustrated (*politest term i could think of*) if the movie wasn't released here.

(Prob would have been more appropriately placed in rants.....) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Cineworld have it listed for a 15/10 release.

Generally I find that if you are wondering the release date of a fairly big film, just check the UK release date, as 99/100 they are the same.

Superb reviews across-the-board so far... could be some of the best reviews of Fincher's career:

100% (12 reviews) on RottenTomatoes
    100% (6 reviews) on Metacritic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Eurgh.. not me!

I can't be alone in thinking Whedon is utterly overrated.

• Advertisement

I can't be alone in thinking Whedon is utterly overrated.
    His fans can be a little over the top. His stuff tends to be genre, which just turns a lot of people off. Some people find his dialogue more annoying than witty. It's all subjective. Name a writer widely regarded as good who no one thinks is overrated.

mikhail wrote: »
    Name a writer widely regarded as good who no one thinks is overrated.
    Aaron Sorkin maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kenny1977

tell me guys how this work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kenny1977

just wondering how it works ?

Aaron Sorkin maybe?
    Well, Zuckerberg anyway, but he's probably just sore at having his life analysed and dramatised, exposing him for a bit of a douchebag.

Then there's Orrin Konheim, a freelance film critic. He criticises Sports Night as overrated, "The show is written by Aaron Sorkin so every character sounds exactly the same: they are all incredibly intelligent, they can pick up each other's pop culture references and they can finish each other's sentences. It's like the fictional TV sports network was staffed entirely by members of MENSA."

And a google search finds a few disgruntled comments at the end of various articles.

Sorkin's pretty much as close to universally lauded as they come, and there's still people who don't like him, don't like his artificial dialogue, uniform characters or ham-fisted messages. All of those adjectives are based on comments I've read online in the couple of minutes I spend searching. They're not my opinion of the guy.

Apologies to everyone else for going a little off-topic, though the Sorkin angle probably saves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kenny1977 wrote: »
    How what works?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Great to see all the early positive reviews. I'm also really enjoying the 5 track OST sampler that's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

kenny1977 wrote: »
    I don't know, but you're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

I'm really excited to see this. The story behind Facebook is supposed to very interesting, in fact Facebook themselves want nothing to do with the film due to the ruthless portrayal of Zuckerberg. The cast is top notch Jesse Eisenberg has definitely overcome his "poor mans Michael Cera" image. Looking forward to seeing Rooney Mara in action as well:)

Seems to be getting amazing reviews as well with 97% (from 164 reviews) on RottenTomatoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It has 100% I believe until the most recent reviews. Armond White claimed that Resident Evil was the better film. The bloke's a real life troll.

Advertisement