Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Social Network *MEGATHREAD*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

when you guys see the film lemme know what you think. I'm on the fence about 10 euros to see it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This was actually off my radar for ages (facebook: the movie is something that populates the darkest of my cinematic nightmares) but the pedigree of Fincher, a wonderful trailer and positive write-ups have got me very intrigued indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just saw this today. Superb, can't believe how well it was done, was honestly expecting something bad but Fincher did a great job on this and the way the they put the story together was brilliant, Sorkin might be getting a nomination for this. Saw it in a digital projection cinema so it looks brilliant, they used a RED one to shoot it I believe.
    Jesse Eisenberg does a great job as Mark Zuckermann and JT is actually decent as Sean Parker (Napster).
    I'd say just about a 9/10 for me, up there with Fincher's Seven & fight club.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No. 1 in US box office with 23 million opening weekend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

basquille wrote: »
    Aaron Sorkin maybe?

Every line of dialogue he writes makes me want to punch him in the pancreas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Looks like we got a facebook movie on the way folks,

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/44655/the-social-networkreview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Pretty sure theres a pretty big thread about this allready.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What's a Facebook? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Aaaah thats what the social network thread was about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

The Social Network is released here on the 15th...

Personally I am looking forward to it. When I heard about it first I started looking into what it's about... saw that David Fincher is doing it. Trent Raznor from nine inche nails doing the soundtrack and your man sorkin who does the screenplays for the The West Wing wrote the script for this. This had me going.... "hmm, this could be interesting!" The Trailors look good and the reviews and reports so far are hugely positive.

It was released last fri in the states with takings slightly less than expected but comfortably making the number 1 spot... I reckon that this film is going to be huge! I for one am excited to see it. so much so that it worries me... I need to get a life! But seriously, you can't beat a good story, and the social changes that facebook has created it sounds like a good story! and with the man who brought us Fight Club... one of my favourite films, I know that i won't be dissapppointed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-social-network/

So... are you interested in seeing it, do you have a facebook account???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

neaideabh wrote: »
    Trent Raznor from five inche nails doing the soundtrack

Needs longer nails methinks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

neaideabh wrote: »
    Trent Raznor from five inche nails

Where'd the other four inches go?

On topic.

I'm not interested in the movie, and I'm also not on facebook.

Edit:

Bah, Phony Scott got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The story of a man who came up with the idea for, and then set up, a social networking site doesn't sound like the makings of a good movie plot to me.

I can't help but wonder if the popularity of Facebook in America is what's fueling the praise for the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Haven't seen the film yet, But i don't think the success is because its connected to Facebook. Its be widely praised by critics (Who i imagine have not all been bought off by Facebook). I don't think for the most part they'd give a damn. And frankly, for a film that has been advertised so much, coupled with fantastic reviews, it still did not do as well as they had wanted last weekend. So viewers aren't seeing the connection and mindlessly going.

I really don't like Facebook. I don't like to use it, and i think it's negatives outweigh it's positives. But i can see how the story of its creation is fascinating. Anyone who is remotely technologically savvy knows what facebook is. The story behind it has friendship, betrayal, greed and ambition.

I'm not going to allow my opinion of Facebook, to get in the way of me seeing a (hopefully) terrific.

But most importantly, Each to their OWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I would have imagined the creation of facebook would have been quite boring no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I would have imagined the creation of facebook would have been quite boring no?

That's what I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I hadn't heard about this until about 5 mins ago. 95% on metacritic, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's not bad, but not particularly good. You just end up realising that the guy who created Facebook is an absolute c*nt who stole someone elses idea. There are much better ways of spending your time than watching this, like Bebo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Since I have had to merge two threads in here over the last twelve hours or so, I now declare this an official film forum megathread.

Enjoy y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'm not on Facebook, but I was very interested in seeing the film, and it's excellent.
    It might not be historically accurate (what biopics are?), and it may portray Zuckerberg in a less than flattering light, but it makes for good drama and it's utterly compelling from start to finish, succeeding on practically every level.
    Jesse Eisenberg is great as Zuckerberg, and the ever-reliable Andrew Garfield is as superb as ever as Eduardo Saverin. The supporting cast are all solid as well. The script is relentlessly dialogue-driven, as you'd expect from Aaron Sorkin.
    Would definitely be in my top ten of the year.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The story of a man who came up with the idea for, and then set up, a social networking site doesn't sound like the makings of a good movie plot to me.

The story of a man who stole the idea for a site, made billions of dollars and got sued by all and sundry does however sound a bit more interesting.
    I can't help but wonder if the popularity of Facebook in America is what's fueling the praise for the movie.

Highly unlikely. Why would critics praise a boring movie because it's about a site they use?

I don't use Facebook and don't really have any interest in doing so. The calibre of people behind this film and all the good reviews it is getting do however interest me and I'll definitely be going to see this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

it is way overrated its good but not great fincher has done better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Fincher has done better

Yeah, Zodiac.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Very meh on this. Im in the same mind of thought that an entire film about some fella settting up a website sounds shi.te, even if he does get sued or whatever. That and timberlake is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I went to see it this evening and it was really good I thought. I really enjoyed the dialogue and found it very easy to watch. The chap seems like a pr!ck tbh!

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

I went to see it this evening and it was really good I thought. I really enjoyed the dialogue and found it very easy to watch. The chap seems like a pr!ck tbh!

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

where did you see it before its out here???

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

where did you see it before its out here???

Advanced screenings.

Saw it this evening myself. Loved every minute of it. You leave thinking that hes a abso c**t but researching it u find alot of movie is fiction really, and several situations are made up.

Overall i really enjoyed it, and would defo recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

yeah business insider has alot of good pieces on what parts are real and whats fiction and..

the author of the facebook effect tells the real story:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/31377?in=33:28&out=34:11

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-facebook-was-founded-2010-3#we-can-talk-about-that-after-i-get-all-the-basic-functionality-up-tomorrow-night-1

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-mark-zuckerberg-hacked-into-the-harvard-crimson-2010-3

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-facebook-movie-is-great-for-america-2010-10

overall he did mislead the lads and stalled making their site until his was ready, and he diluted his original partners shares in order to avoid him stalling facebooks growth

but he wasnt motivated by revenge or by a girl, he had a girlfriend the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Just back from it - wow. Best film of the year so far by a fair distance. Absolutely sucked me in, fantastic storytelling, captures the zeitgeist of the first decade of the 21st century very well.

I was afraid I wouldn't like it since I always thought Fincher's films were overrated, but this was brilliant.

Timberlake was even good in it (apart from turning super-camp during the restaurant pitch scene. That was weird.)

• Advertisement

I adored the hell out of this film. As someone who is usually bored silly by biopics, this sucked me into the story of Zuckerberg and co. straight away. But there's more to it than that. It's perhaps as definitive film about internet business as you're going to get, a satire of Harvard prisiness and much more all tied down to the central story of one man who will stop at nothing to achieve "his" (ahem) vision.

It's a very cinematic film, Sorkin's screenplay particularly probably playing a bit loose with the 'truth' in order to tell his story. The characters are most frequently portrayed negatively (and the opening scene with Eisenberg and Mara probably defines Zuckerberg's character in the film best, as it isn't as simplistic as 'asshole', and asshole only). But who cares when the story is so utterly compelling for the entirety of the running time. I was genuinely not bored once throughout, everything about this film was masterful. The acting is wonderful, Jesse Eisenberg & Andrew Garfield particularly believable as the two central Facebook founders. All the minor roles are equally impressive (and especially Rooney Mara who really impressed me in a very small role indeed - perhaps she will pull of Lisbeth Salander!). The script is tense, thoughtful and - strangely - sometimes hilarious. And Fincher, while a bit more subdued visually than usual, still makes the film look and flow beautifully. And when he does let loose directorially - a visceral boat race is very memorable and clever - he excels. He has more than made up for the well made but unfortunately vapid case of Benjamin Button It's simply great material, the atmosphere always fast-paced, tense and somewhat uncomfortable (helped by the strange and eerie yet effective score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross).

It is one of those rare stories that just totally engrosses you for the entire running time, playful yet full of commentary - sometimes broad, sometimes subtle - on social networking, friendship, business, college and law. I seriously didn't think the story behind Facebook could be anywhere near this compelling or fun. The latter is key, because despite the film providing some serious food for thought (the last image is haunting) it is also an extremely entertaining film, with sequences such as the
    intern race or psycho girlfriend bin fire
    providing plenty of laughs. It's one of the most tonally confident films I've seen in recent times.

I hate using the phrase 'film of the year', really hate it. But I concede this - The Social Network is definitely the best mainstream Hollywood film of the year, alongside maybe Toy Story 3. Cinema is so much better with intelligent and entertaining films such as this.

Advertisement