Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are 29% dearer than the EU Average

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0628/prices.html

Still a way to go before we're competitive again. What really stands out here is the fact that we are the biggest exporters of beef and still we are the fifth dearest. England our biggest purchaser of beef are only 2% dearer than the EU average. I think that Irish Meat Producers are using the high margins made here to make exports cheaper. I'd love to see invoices to UK stores and Irish stores from the meat producers... it'd make interesting reading I presume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Danno wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0628/prices.html

Still a way to go before we're competitive again. What really stands out here is the fact that we are the biggest exporters of beef and still we are the fifth dearest. England our biggest purchaser of beef are only 2% dearer than the EU average. I think that Irish Meat Producers are using the high margins made here to make exports cheaper. I'd love to see invoices to UK stores and Irish stores from the meat producers... it'd make interesting reading I presume.
    this is crazy, no wonder we are coming home with smaller bags of groceries these days,
    our government are doing nothing just zilch to help us get by, do we have a price comparison between them and us

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would like to see the criteria/methods used in the poll. I remember the National Consumer Agency report on supermarkets which did not take into account special offers! madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

survey was done a year ago includes all items such as cigarettes, alcohol, food etc.

Another survey shows we're one of the lowest taxed & highest paid too!

Problem is we have a consumptionist tax system where higher taxes (VAT, Duties & Rates) are put on goods rather than on incomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

91011 wrote: »
    survey was done a year ago includes all items such as cigarettes, alcohol, food etc.

Problem is we have a consumptionist tax system where higher taxes (VAT, Duties & Rates) are put on goods rather than on incomes.

There's also a culture of predatory pricing by greedy retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

g32 wrote: »

There seems to be an echo round here?

• Advertisement

g32 - you've NEVER shown where retailers are ripping people off. I have shown beyond all doubt verifiable figures showing the actual costs of a business here versus a business in uk using identical rents and very similar population centres..

You have never replied to any post showing your false NI prices, your ridiculous comparisons between ex vat prices in USA & inclusive prices in ireland. Damnit - you don't even know the difference between excise duties & vat!!

You seem to compare a local corner shop with the largest discount supermarket in the world.

Get real - understand business costs, understand we have a different tax system & understand that no matter where your income comes from (social welfare / private sector / publc sector) you get paid MORE than nearly every country in Europe - guess how this has to be paid for??

I couldn't give a sh1te if you shop in NI as the only person you are fooling with your rose tinted glasses is yourself.

looksee wrote: »
    There seems to be an echo round here?

Yes and one would likely call it a part of the Irish business model. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and we don't want to face up to our cost base and lower it. It is corporate greed and a monopoly. I did my shopping in Asda last week and when one compares the pricing, it is still 30% more expensive down here.

g32 - you've NEVER shown where retailers are ripping people off. I have shown beyond all doubt verifiable figures showing the actual costs of a business here versus a business in uk using identical rents and very similar population centres..

You have never replied to any post showing your false NI prices, your ridiculous comparisons between ex vat prices in USA & inclusive prices in ireland. Damnit - you don't even know the difference between excise duties & vat!!

You seem to compare a local corner shop with the largest discount supermarket in the world.

Get real - understand business costs, understand we have a different tax system & understand that no matter where your income comes from (social welfare / private sector / publc sector) you get paid MORE than nearly every country in Europe - guess how this has to be paid for??

I couldn't give a sh1te if you shop in NI as the only person you are fooling with your rose tinted glasses is yourself.

Ha ha ha!...The pot calling the kettle black...funny world we live...ha ha ha...People who live in glass houses (Overpriced Retailers on this forum) should not throw stones

Yes and one would likely call it a part of the Irish business model. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and we don't want to face up to our cost base and lower it. It is corporate greed and a monopoly. I did my shopping in Asda last week and when one compares the pricing, it is still 30% more expensive down here.

I presume you have a receipt for your shopping?

I challenge you to list every item on the receipt with the sterling price on it. - You'll find your rose tinted glasses fogging up with the truth of the prices.

Lets see the 30% savings in black & white. Considering Newry is reports dramatic drops in southern shoppers, surely all these shoppers are wrong if you're so right.

Yet again you spout rubbish without ANY HARD EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!

- As for me - yes I'm involved in working with a retailer but I'm not an actual retailer. - The item that sells the most in the company is $21.99 + sales tax in USA, €18.50 incl 21% vat in the company I do work for (and in many other outlets in Ireland) & £16.99 incl vat in the UK. The product is made in USA and has worldwide sales of about $1.6billion

Another survey shows we're one of the lowest taxed & highest paid too
    Surveys can easily be skewed, if you had some self deprecating guy taking down Irish prices, like some ripoff forum regulars, then I would expect to see high prices.
    There are loads of high prices out there, no doubt about it, pay them if you're a fool, but there are some incredible bargains too. If you had a bargain alerts regular listing the prices they could be a lot lower. In any surveys like these I have seen I have always been shocked at some of the prices quoted -i.e. they were very expensive and certainly not what I pay.

I get 3L of milk for €1.50 in the local green grocer, and get 18 eggs for €2.50, I would not be surprised if the survey had double those prices.
    I challenge you to list every item on the receipt with the sterling price on it. - You'll find your rose tinted glasses fogging up with the truth of the prices.

Lets see the 30% savings in black & white.
    Well a common trick is that people buy what is on offer up north and then compare it to a shop selling it at a high price down here. So if you did the same trick you could easily "prove" that NI is more expensive. A guy in work came back with a load of staropramen from up north saying he saved a fortune since it is €2.80 a bottle here, thing is he had never heard of the beer before, and would usually only buy €1 beers down here. But he convinced himself he saved over €2 per bottle! Staropramen was €1 a bottle a few months later down here.

• Advertisement

Here's the full report.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-SF-10-030/EN/KS-SF-10-030-EN.PDF

Now take out the countries that have recently come into the EU & non EU countries where wages & cost of labour is 70% below Irish levels.

From a quick calculation, Ireland will be about 4% above average for food amongst eurozone countries.

The survey used prices from Spring 2009 (15 months ago) and includes EVERY european country. - We really can't compare price in coutries that pay €1.50 / hour!

Within the framework of the Eurostat-OECD
    Purchasing Power Parities (PPP) program, surveys
    on prices of household goods and services are
    carried out cyclically by the National Statistical
    Institutes (NSIs) of 37 countries: the 27 EU
    Member States, 3 Candidate Countries (Croatia,
    the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and
    Turkey), 3 EFTA countries (Iceland, Norway and
    Switzerland) and 4 Western Balkan countries
    (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro
    and Serbia).
    Each survey cycle comprises 6 surveys, each
    related to a particular group of household
    consumption products. As 2 surveys are run per
    year, the whole survey cycle takes 3 years to
    conclude, before the next cycle starts. The prices
    used for this publication were collected in spring
    2009. The PLIs presented in this article are based on annual
    national average prices for about 500 goods in
    total.

rubadub wrote: »
    A guy in work came back with a load of staropramen from up north saying he saved a fortune since it is €2.80 a bottle here, thing is he had never heard of the beer before, and would usually only buy €1 beers down here. But he convinced himself he saved over €2 per bottle! Staropramen was €1 a bottle a few months later down here.

Had similar last December - guy had bought 12 bottles of vodka & whiskey and claimed he had saved €12 a bottle compared to standard off license price - pity he didn't check his local supermarket who were selling the same bottles for €16.99, - his total savings were under €30 which was wiped out by the fill of diesel he got as he assumed the diesel was cheaper. - He had a very long face!

does not matter when it was done, we were always scrwed, and still being screwed,
    i bought an item in engalnd for 2 pounds 2 yrs ago, i seen the same thing in a shop here for 14.99, i guess that is not being screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Go work in Germany,

In the words of Eddie Murphy "They take half"

Plus i'm paying catholic tax straight out of my pay.

To honest i get a bit angry when i see "Greedy Irish retailers"
    Its more to do with having more in your net pay, more spending power hence high prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

g32, you really are a clutz, you said VAT would not go up in Uk, it did, a number of posters pointed out the changes in exchange rate which have increased prices in the North, but you seem unable to comprehend this, you seem not to understand the concept of Government tarrifs on alcohol, cigarettes and fuel and the difference between it and VAT, you will not back up your posts even when prompted to do so and we might as well be talking in a foreign language when we try to inform you of the difference in operating costs/pay rates between countries. Again, just to prove my point and try to show you the difference, would you please post the sector you work in, be it industrial, civil servant, trades man etc, it doesn't matter, make one up if you like. I will do some research and post the rates of pay in various countries, I gaurantee you there will be more than 29% difference in most cases and hundreds of percentage points differences in some cases.

Lets look at the survey in another way.

take away the non eurozone countries

add in 8.6% food & drink deflation in Ireland since the survey was done in spring 2009. add in the 1.2 average inflation in other eurozone countries.

Taking a revised mid point of 113.8, it leaves Irish food & drink prices at 0.5% above eurozone average. - surely this is a more fairer way of doing a survey instead of adding in countries with €2 / hour wage levels?

goat2 wrote: »
    does not matter when it was done, we were always scrwed, and still being screwed,
    i bought an item in engalnd for 2 pounds 2 yrs ago, i seen the same thing in a shop here for 14.99, i guess that is not being screwed

unless the uk price was a clearance abnormal price then you're talking bsh1t.

why are people like you always afraid of actually naming the amazing price difference product? - do you really think people will belive your exageration?

again - I've yet to see any concrete evidence from anyone saying NI / Uk everyday standard pricing for normal everyday goods is seriously cheaper than similar goods here. There will always be exceptions both ways, but for a general weekly shop the savings simply are not there anymore.

I am displaying my Asda receipt for illustration of price comparisons indicative of the huge profits of Irish Grocers. Since there is no Asda in the Irish Republic (or Rip-Off Ireland), one cannot compare the prices directly but comparing them indirectly to Tesco & Dunnes equivalent.

Look at the ‘be chicken’ (Birds Eye 2 Cracked Pepper Chicken 184g) on the receipt – GBP 1.00 (EUR 1.23). Normal price is GBP 1.24 (EUR 1.52)

Tesco Ireland – EUR 2.60 for same (Normal price).

Asda: EUR 1.23

Tesco: EUR 2.60

= 52% higher in the republic of rip-off Ireland.

rubadub wrote: »
    Well a common trick is that people buy what is on offer up north and then compare it to a shop selling it at a high price down here. So if you did the same trick you could easily "prove" that NI is more expensive. A guy in work came back with a load of staropramen from up north saying he saved a fortune since it is €2.80 a bottle here, thing is he had never heard of the beer before, and would usually only buy €1 beers down here. But he convinced himself he saved over €2 per bottle! Staropramen was €1 a bottle a few months later down here.

I am comparing offer to offer. Dunnes Stores currently have an ‘offer’ of EUR 2.00 on a Good Fellas Pizza. Asda also have an offer of 1 GBP (EUR 1.23) for the same product. It is ‘deep pizza’ on the receipt. That is a 38.5% price difference tag between rip off republic and the north of Ireland.

Dunnes Stores: EUR 2.00

= 38.5% higher in the republic of rip-off Ireland.

Despite VAT rises and recent currency changes, still bigger savings to be made by shopping up north.

dramatic drops in southern shoppers, surely all these shoppers are wrong if you're so right.

Yet again you spout rubbish without ANY HARD EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!

Someone is lying because I counted 40 ROI licence plates at the Asda Enniskillen car park out of 94 in total. Commercial Vans with Dublin business addresses were also among the Vehicles.

Not to mention that you blame the consumers for the financial ruin of your greedy foots made of glass.

Look at the ‘be chicken’ (Birds Eye 2 Cracked Pepper Chicken 184g) on the receipt – GBP 1.00 (EUR 1.23). Normal price is GBP 1.24 (EUR 1.52)

Yes, so you got an offer, the price is €2.60 in tescos but as I said before you should really be comparing like with like -i.e. stuff on offer. Tescos Irish site have Birds Eye 2 Reggae Reggae Chicken Chargrills 184G €1.30

Tesco UK sell them for average £1.50 sainsburys is £1.63 at normal non offer prices.

As I said before I tend to only buy what is on offer, tesco in particular have prices high on many items so when they have sales they can appear to really slash prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

g32, when cleaning your ears with cotton buds, stop pushing when you feel resistence. Profit is the amount of money left over on the sale of goods after outgoings are paid. If the costs of goods are higher here and outgoings are higher the profit is X, if the cost of the same goods in the North are lower and the outgoings are also lower then the profit may also be X, profits are similar. This is not difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I am displaying my Asda receipt for illustration of price comparisons indicative of the huge profits of Irish Grocers. Since there is no Asda in the Irish Republic (or Rip-Off Ireland), one cannot compare the prices directly but comparing them indirectly to Tesco & Dunnes equivalent.

= 52% higher in the republic of rip-off Ireland.

I am comparing offer to offer. Dunnes Stores currently have an ‘offer’ of EUR 2.00 on a Good Fellas Pizza. Asda also have an offer of 1 GBP (EUR 1.23) for the same product. It is ‘deep pizza’ on the receipt. That is a 38.5% price difference tag between rip off republic and the north of Ireland.

Despite VAT rises and recent currency changes, still bigger savings to be made by shopping up north.

The pizzas are on offer, almost half price.
    The dunnes ones are not advertised as being half price.

I see you only bought selective items, a very nutritious shopping basket (not!) - and only special offers. Not exactly the bulk buying shopping trip that saves a fortune.

Did you add your fuel in? I think not.

And why isn't there a date on your receipt???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What's the standard price for the pizza in Asda versus Dunnes / Tesco etc here.

Also VAT on Pizza here is 21% - Vat on pizza in the UK = 0%.

The pizzas are on offer, almost half price.
    The dunnes ones are not advertised as being half price.

I see you only bought selective items, a very nutritious shopping basket (not!) - and only special offers. Not exactly the bulk buying shopping trip that saves a fortune.

Did you add your fuel in? I think not.

And why isn't there a date on your receipt???
    it has gone that bad here, the price of a small bag of potatoes 4 euro, the same size bag of new potatoes 10 euro, thank god i started out this year with my own veg garden, at least i will have them fresh organic and in the pot within an hour of picking, and costing me very little for the layout in the first place, that is one expense i have cut from bill for this year, i only buy offer goods with the past 12 months, special offers, half price,
    buy my fruit and milk in aldi

g32 - looking at your receipt, I notice that the standard price for a 2l coke is £1.66 in Asda.

The standard price of 2l coke in tesco / dunnes / supervalue here is €1.99.

So coke & other minerals are 5% more expensive in Asda compared to any of the Irish supermarkets.

Now check out the regular prices of a basket of say 100 ordinary everyday groceries. - I challenge you by not buying temporary offers in either north / south, to find an overall difference of more than 5%.

As for 40 cars in the car park - this is nothing. (there were 15+ NI cars in bridgend fuel station last week) There are many people in the republic where enniskillen is their nearest shopping town and they shop there for convienence. - It used to be 80% southern reg cars - even I shopped in the north early last year & in 2008. - But from my own experience (I go through NI at least once every 3 weeks) there is virtually no price difference between the 2 areas on a general shop and still you have not given any proof that changes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

goat2 wrote: »
    it has gone that bad here, the price of a small bag of potatoes 4 euro, the same size bag of new potatoes 10 euro, thank god i started out this year with my own veg garden, at least i will have them fresh organic and in the pot within an hour of picking, and costing me very little for the layout in the first place, that is one expense i have cut from bill for this year, i only buy offer goods with the past 12 months, special offers, half price,
    buy my fruit and milk in aldi

I got a 7.5kg bag of spuds in Tesco last Sunday week for €3, great value if you look around.
    Aldi are great for the veg, particularly the super 6.
    One thing I did notice when shopping around last week was a large cauliflower in Tesco - was €1.49 - then they had smaller ones at the weekend for €1.09 - but I thought it was too small and I didn't bother with it. Was in Dunnes on Sunday evening and their large cauliflowers were €2.29!!
    But I always find other offers in Dunnes so I shop between them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I don't get this at all, you think this stuff is specific to Ireland.

I buy my booze in Germany and some food products (such as Kerrygold)

There are major price differences between Germany and Holland too, I wouldn't go out of my way to drive to Germany to save a few euro anyway unless i worked there,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't get this at all, you think this stuff is specific to Ireland.

I buy my booze in Germany and some food products (such as Kerrygold)

There are major price differences between Germany and Holland too, I wouldn't go out of my way to drive to Germany to save a few euro anyway unless i worked there,

I bet a large number of Danes get their shopping in Germany, as do Austrians living in border country, whereas some Germans might head over to Poland or the Czech Republic to get theirs, depending on exchange rates of course.

Some people here like to believe that there's a conspiracy going on, whereby we're the only ones in Europe getting robbed. They also seem to assume that prices are identical across the entire Eurozone, when in fact they're all completely different.

g32 - looking at your receipt, I notice that the standard price for a 2l coke is £1.66 in Asda.

The standard price of 2l coke in tesco / dunnes / supervalue here is €1.99.

So coke & other minerals are 5% more expensive in Asda compared to any of the Irish supermarkets.

Look at the bottom of the receipt:

-3.96GBP saved on Coca Cola.

I have told you once: Asda offer 3 two Litre bottles of Coca Cola for GBP3.00:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

...Please think twice before you speak about that in order not to make a fool of your self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

How has he made a fool of himself ? It's a special multi buy offer which also exists down here too.

If you go into ASDA today and want to buy one 2Ltr bottle of Coke you will pay £1.66

Advertisement