Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are 29% dearer than the EU Average

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, so you got an offer, the price is €2.60 in tescos but as I said before you should really be comparing like with like -i.e. stuff on offer. Tescos Irish site have Birds Eye 2 Reggae Reggae Chicken Chargrills 184G €1.30

Tesco UK sell them for average £1.50 sainsburys is £1.63 at normal non offer prices.

As I said before I tend to only buy what is on offer, tesco in particular have prices high on many items so when they have sales they can appear to really slash prices.

That is your shopping habit. You seem to be suggesting that everyone should adopt your habit. Your diet is flexible enough to allow you to buy those items on offer. Its not the same for everyone, and not everyone has multiple stores local to them to buy their shopping from multiple stores. Its great for you and its smart shopping, (its something that I do myself) but its no basis for a like for like comparison. Unless of course, like for like comparisons dont return the answers that you would like. There are so many different reasons why prices on individual items are reduced that using bargain items cannot be used to gain an accurate comparison between ROI and NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Gucky wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this story?

Taken from the indo back in late 2005- trying to capitalise when every dog in the street thought they could afford a holiday home.

Hobbs promotes relative's holiday properties

• CONSUMER champion Eddie Hobbs is plugging a luxury development involving a relative in Cape Verde off the coast of Senegal, he told the Irish Independent last night.
    Among other superlatives, Mr Hobbs described the development on his website eddiehobbs.com as "a home away from home for astute investors" and "likely to be the hottest holiday home destination over the decade ahead, with a superb climate and green-field tourist industry".
    Last Saturday on RTE's Ryan Tubridy television show he also identified Cape Verde as a stand-out location for Irish property investors - one of a number of plugs he has given the islands in his media appearances.
    Mr Hobbs was unable to off-hand name any other Irish developer in Cape Verde not involving a relative for "reasons of confidentiality."
    Mr Hobbs, presenter of RTE's 'Rip-Off Republic', revealed last night that the Cork company behind the scheme called Cape Verde Development involves Edward 'Ned' Cotter, whom he grew up with and who is his stepfather's nephew.
    A quantity surveyor, Mr Cotter is described in some promotions as a director of the firm but is not listed as such in the Companies Office.
    Mr Hobbs said he had never received any payment from Cape Verde or had any financial relationship with the principals of Cape Verde which is heavily promoted on his website.
    He said that, through his own research - carried out "over the last 12 months through reading" - and the advice of a friend who was a fellow financial advisor, he had arrived at the conclusion that the islands were a good investment opportunity.
    Mr Hobbs admitted never having travelled to Cape Verde and said he regretted if that was the impression he gave. Within half-an-hour of being contacted by the Irish Independent, Mr Hobbs had rewritten an article entitled 'Forget the Canaries: just look at Cape Verde', posted on his personal blog in an article just underneath a hard-hitting analysis of the Budget.
    He took out such descriptions of the island as "It's green field, absolutely stunning and would make a fab sleepy hideaway with lush rhododendrons and fire trees onshore while dolphins and whales swim off coral reefs offshore."
    A statement claiming that "the rental market will inevitably develop" was also removed.
    And he inserted the phrase "like any property purchase [it] should not be undertaken lightly, so consider it carefully and bear in mind that property prices can fall just like any other asset class".
    He said last night he planned to expand his website, which was only launched last Saturday, to promote free of charge any other property development or location "that makes sense".
    And he said "Maybe I need to be more clear on the website. I have already changed some of the wording."
    As it stands, under the heading "Investment Property" and after an introduction giving tips about investing in general in property, Mr Hobbs only promotes Cape Verde Developments and projects being backed by Liberty Asset Management.
    Liberty is described on his website as "the next best thing to being advised by Eddie".
    Mr Hobbs has a financial relationship with Liberty, which is made clear on his website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

K-9 wrote: »
    We pay higher VAT here but then again

No we don't. We now have the same VAT rate as the UK at 20% which takes effect in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

g32 wrote: »
    No we don't. We now have the same VAT rate as the UK at 20% which takes effect in January.

So Ireland pays higher vat until January then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Morgans wrote: »
    That is your shopping habit. You seem to be suggesting that everyone should adopt your habit.
    I think it is a sound recommendation to buy items on offer. My post was in response to the poster who showed his receipt, from the looks of it he also buys what is on offer and plenty of them.
    Your diet is flexible enough to allow you to buy those items on offer.
    There is nearly always something on offer in each section, unless you are very picky you can get deals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

davo10 wrote: »
    Gucky, the market conditions that apply to your customers also apply to you as a consumer, that's my point. Most items we purchase in Ireland are single or in low multiples, we do not buy 20 bottles of vodka or 50 Birds eye cod each time we shop so we do not recieve multipack discounts in most cases like you provide, I do not know if you have ever been to Newry but you would see people buying huge volumns of alcohol so it stands to reason using your very own business model that Asda which is part of the huge Walmart would be able to buy from a supplier at a discount thus they can charge the consumer less. How come you can apply this logic to your business and not apply it to single items you buy in other retail sectors. Given the fact that you have a warehouse/employees/rates/postage/electricity/phone/insurance etc, do you not agree that you could charge less if your provided the same service in a low cost economy like Bulgaria, you said you export and are a market leader. If a company sets up in Bulgaria and offers the same parts as you at a lower price, would you than accept being called a ripoff merchant by your current customers who can now get the same brand parts at lower prices from a provider with lower operating costs?

Dav, I have said in numerous posts that's it's not small retailers I have a bee in my bonnet over.
    I just detest the big lads, especially the Tescos/Halfords and O2s of this island who charge us one absolutely crazy price in Ireland but the .co.Uk branch charges a he'll of a lot less!

Also the likes of Tescos advertising great 'bargains' in the papers when the price of the 'bargain' has been inceased from the week previous NORMAL price. Good eg is recently they advertised a special of 24xstella at 17€ hen in fact they had been selling these for 15euro for the previous year!

I think it is a sound recommendation to buy items on offer. My post was in response to the poster who showed his receipt, from the looks of it he also buys what is on offer and plenty of them.

There is nearly always something on offer in each section, unless you are very picky you can get deals.

You can get deals but its no way to compare a like for like comparison. Staple items surely should be involved. Not a question of being picky but not the best deal available for your particular diet/tastes. There are plenty of items that you could buy in the Reduced to Clear section with best before dates of the following day. They also shouldnt form part of any cross-border comparison. There are plenty of deals. Some better than others. Saw green isle veggie burgers (i think) in local Dunnes last week reduced from 2.91 to 2.90. When you consider the cost of advertising this sale, you'd wonder if they are really trying. In fact, the advertising of this sale, put me off the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

This is getting comical now.

Irish VAT Rate is 21% and was 21.5% at the time of this survey.

UK is going to 20% in January but was down at 15%.

It was 6.5% different - it will be 1% different.

You can get deals but its no way to compare a like for like comparison.
    I already told you
    My post was in response to the poster who showed his receipt, from the looks of it he also buys what is on offer and plenty of them.
    He got an item ON OFFER in Asda and compared then found it in tesco here NOT ON OFFER, so that was an unfair comparison. I then found the same size & brand product with a different flavour and it was just a few cent more than he paid, if buying on offer is what you do then it should be shown in your comparisons. I am not sure how much the petrol would cost but for me I would want to be saving over €200 if I was to give up my saturday and travel up north in the car -I consider it an ordeal and would certainly not go up for under £40 worth of groceries.
    Staple items surely should be involved. Not a question of being picky but not the best deal available for your particular diet/tastes.
    I find some own brand stuff is pretty much the same, like sugar or milk. I get 3L of milk for €1.50, it has been that price for months in my local green grocer. Before that I paid ~75cent per litre. I would like to see the actual figures in this report. If they went around every shop in the country looking at prices they ATTEMPT to charge then it would not surprise me that the average might be very high.
    Gucky wrote: »
    Also the likes of Tescos advertising great 'bargains' in the papers when the price of the 'bargain' has been inceased from the week previous NORMAL price. Good eg is recently they advertised a special of 24xstella at 17€ hen in fact they had been selling these for 15euro for the previous year!
    And you already said this was still a good price, some might even call it a bargain. You are perfectly illustrating what I have been explaining time & time again, that peoples pathetic attempt to show tesco "ripoffs" by stating the likes of "it increased overnight by 150%" fall down badly when the people they are trying to convince actually hear the current PRICE and cop on it is still a relatively good deal.

Lets not get tetchy.

This is what you said, Regardless of what the asda shopper spent. I certainly wouldnt travel to the north for 40 euro worth of food.
    There are loads of high prices out there, no doubt about it, pay them if you're a fool, but there are some incredible bargains too. If you had a bargain alerts regular listing the prices they could be a lot lower. In any surveys like these I have seen I have always been shocked at some of the prices quoted -i.e. they were very expensive and certainly not what I pay.

Your personal situation has no bearing on the survey. Nor should it. Not everyone lives beside a green grocer who sells 3lts of milk for €1.50. It is the average that retailers ATTEMPT to charge that SHOULD be in the price for price comparison. Not a comparison of the content that multiples put on bargains. The thread is one regarding the goods being the second highest in the EU report. To imply that it is skewed or incorrect on the basis of what your local green grocer sells milk at is complete nonsense. It says more about your bias than anything else.

Do you really beleive that while you can better the survey's prices in ROI by shopping around, that you couldnt do the same in teh North. That somehow the prices in the north are set in stone, the best prices avialable having checked each and every local greengrocer, but the prices for ROI are inflated and are only paid by lazy shoppers. Are you really that arrogant? It has been a consistent line of yours on this forum for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

This is getting comical now.

Irish VAT Rate is 21% and was 21.5% at the time of this survey.

UK is going to 20% in January but was down at 15%.

It was 6.5% different - it will be 1% different.

sterling was at an average 95p at time of survey and now its at 82p - as the survey translated all prices to euro, 13% can be added to UK prices to get to todays sterling level.

As with every survey, it can be read in so many ways and so many conclusions can be borne out. (we can't eally be compared to Albania!)

It will be interesting to see what next year's survey say!

He got an item ON OFFER in Asda and compared then found it in tesco here NOT ON OFFER, so that was an unfair comparison. I then found the same size & brand product with a different flavour and it was just a few cent more than he paid, if buying on offer is what you do then it should be shown in your comparisons. I am not sure how much the petrol would cost but for me I would want to be saving over €200 if I was to give up my saturday and travel up north in the car -I consider it an ordeal and would certainly not go up for under £40 worth of groceries.

That was clearly stated in the posting.

If there are no offers in both stores, a price difference of 41% exists when one compares the normal Asda price of GBP 1.24 (EUR 1.52) versus the normal Tesco Price of Tesco: EUR 2.60 on Birds Eye 2 Cracked Pepper Chicken 184g.

The Dunnes offer vs Asda offer was a valid comparison because it is comparing like for like - the exact same product was on offer in both stores at the time. It worked out 38.5% higher in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

That was clearly stated in the posting.

If there are no offers in both stores, a price difference of 41% exists when one compares the normal Asda price of GBP 1.24 (EUR 1.52) versus the normal Tesco Price of Tesco: EUR 2.60 on Birds Eye 2 Cracked Pepper Chicken 184g.

The Dunnes offer vs Asda offer was a valid comparison because it is comparing like for like - the exact same product was on offer in both stores at the time. It worked out 38.5% higher in the Republic.

g32 - remember evry UK price can be checked online at mysupermarket.co.uk

your cracked pepper is £1.64 in Asda - there's still a difference but not of the scale you make out.

p.s. tesco Ire have 2 x 2l coke for €2.50 - beats your asda offer:D

Your personal situation has no bearing on the survey. Nor should it.
    What should be noted is the price you COULD choose to pay. If Ireland has an unusual amount of fools who pay over the odds then I think it should be pointed out (I don't think we do). I would like to see detailed data, e.g. if they have a price of milk I would like to see the max & min prices gathered.
    It is the average that retailers ATTEMPT to charge that SHOULD be in the price for price comparison.
    NO, it should be an average of what IS PAID, this is even stated by the authority who made the survey, but they do take what is attempted to be charged which is a cop out, just as I expected. You can see the 275page document on the methodology used here.
    http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-BE-06-002/EN/KS-BE-06-002-EN.PDF
    They themselves admit to the flaw and neglect to do the comparison as they would like as they say it is not practical or cost effective. A flawed cop-out
    Prices to be collected
    4.49. The object of the price surveys is to collect the
    prices that purchasers actually pay to sellers to acquire
    the goods and services specified on the final
    group product list at the time of the survey. In other
    words, the intention is to collect actual transaction
    prices. Experience shows that it is neither practical
    nor cost effective to collect such prices from purchasers.
    The prices are collected from sellers instead.
    Most sellers display the prices at which they
    are prepared to sell their products. But the prices at
    which products are offered for sale are not necessarily
    the prices at which they are actually sold.
    Unless price collectors have access to scanner
    data, they cannot collect actual transaction prices.
    Rather, they have to collect the prices that purchasers
    would have to pay if they were to actually
    purchase the goods and services specified at the
    time of the survey.
    If they are going to take the easy and cheap way out they should at least note max & min prices, if not the entire range, are you not interested in this? I am always interested in prices in other countries and like to visit supermarkets to see price differences. I do think we have an unusual price variations in this country which would sway a survey like this, there is also a culture of bogus special offers. In bargain alerts there was a tesco pizza listed as a bargain at €2, several posters said it is on offer far more often than not.

If you went into O'Briens off licence and totted up all the prices of beer and divided them it would be a far higher average than what is actually paid on average (as most guys I see are stocking up on cans costing under a euro). In other countries I have not seen such extremes variations in prices in off licences.

If you compared what is paid in the big pizza places like dominoes, 4-star etc then it would be far lower than the menu prices -half price or BOGOF pizza is pretty much a certainty these days.
    To imply that it is skewed or incorrect on the basis of what your local green grocer sells milk at is complete nonsense.
    It is not just that one item:rolleyes: in general I would firmly believe the average price paid is going to be far lower than the average price attempted to be charged. I do not believe people are that foolish, that is why I think many threads in this forum are of no real benefit, do you really have to be warned that a mars bar is €1.50 in some shop, are you going to buy it by accident and then come home going "damn, they must have tricked me".
    Do you really beleive that while you can better the survey's prices in ROI by shopping around, that you couldnt do the same in teh North.
    Possibly not to the same degree, I do not shop in the north, as I said in other countries I have not seen such variation in prices in supermarkets for similar goods. I do not see how that is being arrogant, its my own observation. Just as I see a huge amount of own brand products in peoples trolleys in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

g32, though this is a discussion forum and everyone is of course entitled to thier opinion be it right or wrong, it is important that you have some understanding of the topics you have a strong opinion about, it does not help you nor the discussion if you post blatently incorrect information like VAT/VRT/Duty rates/info and use them to support your argument. This information is readily availiable on the internet so check before you post, it will save a lot of reading time and needless corrective posts.

91011 wrote: »
    g32 - remember evry UK price can be checked online at mysupermarket.co.uk

your cracked pepper is £1.64 in Asda - there's still a difference but not of the scale you make out.

p.s. tesco Ire have 2 x 2l coke for €2.50 - beats your asda offer:D

It is scary to think a person who works in Retail does not know that ‘OFFERS’ are short term, on par with demand management. This is what happens when you mooch off the customers for too long, with your foot made of glass. In layman’s terms, the offer has since expired and prices change in Asda.

Decide for yourself...

"looking at your receipt, I notice that the standard price for a 2l coke is £1.66 in Asda.

The standard price of 2l coke in tesco / dunnes / supervalue here is €1.99.

So coke & other minerals are 5% more expensive in Asda compared to any of the Irish supermarkets."

...Your post here...

My response:

Look at the bottom of the receipt:

-3.96GBP saved on Coca Cola.

I have told you once: Asda offer 3 two Litre bottles of Coca Cola for GBP3.00:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...=1214921923747

...Please think twice before you speak about that in order not to make a fool of your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Is this news ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

a dump thats just getting worse... check out 3.ie broadbands new prices a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

sterling was at an average 95p at time of survey and now its at 82p - as the survey translated all prices to euro, 13% can be added to UK prices to get to todays sterling level.

As with every survey, it can be read in so many ways and so many conclusions can be borne out. (we can't eally be compared to Albania!)

It will be interesting to see what next year's survey say!

just putting my 2 cents in here on a very interesting thread.

try a non VAT product such as baby formula powder. I have 3 so I watch and also im a retailer who owned his own shop so I think I have reason to speak.

whiel this story is from a while ago it still rings true. Normally im the first to defend irish prices and always like rubadub is doin I compare like for like and I can totally agree with your points however coming from my side of the fence is this story.

When I was in the north at the time we had a decent exchange rate (dec 09/jan 10) I spotted baby powder that at the euro equivalent at the time worked out at €8.50 probably close to €8.80 today. Now remember there is no VAT on this product.

In Tesco/Dunnes/My shop the retail price was €9.99(today priced at €9.36 while tesco often do promos at €7ish) and I was buying it in for about €8.75. The same product was manufactured in Clondalkin Dublin probably even the same batch. So its not always the retaillers,VAT etc etc you have to look at when it comes to rip off ireland

g32, what is the point of this?, the thread was started by OP to discuss the survey, not the price of a bottle of coke on special offer, try and see the bigger picture, why are costs more expensive here?, we all do not want to debate the price difference on every single item on your reciept, its a waste of time and you do not seem to understand the market factors being discussed, maybe hold off a while and see how the discussion progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I presume you have a receipt for your shopping?

I challenge you to list every item on the receipt with the sterling price on it. - You'll find your rose tinted glasses fogging up with the truth of the prices.
    davo10 wrote: »
    g32, what is the point of this?, the thread was started by OP to discuss the survey, not the price of a bottle of coke on special offer, try and see the bigger picture, why are costs more expensive here?, we all do not want to debate the price difference on every single item on your reciept, its a waste of time and you do not seem to understand the market factors being discussed, maybe hold off a while and see how the discussion progresses.

He was challenged on the first page of the thread to defend his position, that's what he's doing. Maybe read the thread before adding to the "discussion"? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I agree with what alot of people are trying to get at, that there is a greater "bargain/special offer" culture here and in the UK than there is within mainland Europe, so if such surveys are based on RRPs or "normal" selling prices, the figures for ireland are alot higher than what most people would actually pay

Agreed dagda,I think most of us acknowlege that there are differences in the price, what I think is at the core of the discussion is the reasons for those differences in price and whether the profits made here are excessive. Some argue that the diferential is indefencible, others that the diferential is being reduced by changes in VAT/exchange rates, but I'm not sure comparing multibuy/discounted items with full price items is informative nor constructive to the discussion. At its core is the belief held by some that they are being ripped off, while others argue that the profits are not that different due to the extra cost of doing business here. Neither side may be right nor wrong but constantly refering to this particular reciept is frankly a sideshow.

g32's defence is based on innacurate data about VAT/Duties/Rates/Costs etc, so lets all agree that there is a difference in the prices on this particular reciept, be they big or small and discuss if this report has merit, if the price diferential has altered, and weather it is fair to say that because items cost more here, the vendor is ripping off the consumer by making higher profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Look at the bottom of the receipt:

-3.96GBP saved on Coca Cola.

I have told you once: Asda offer 3 two Litre bottles of Coca Cola for GBP3.00:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923747

...Please think twice before you speak about that in order not to make a fool of your self.

And tesco currently offer 2x2l Coke / Sprite / Fanta for €2.50

So Asda = €1.22 per 2l
    Tesco = €1.25 per 2l

Oh yeah, massive difference :rolleyes:

When taking into account the fuel cost of travelling up there (assuming you don;t live in a border town) the difference between buying a load of groceries up there, or down here are miniscule.

Just buy the bargains down here, you will probably be better off in the long run. Lets not forget about the fact that buying stuff down here keeps more money in the country.

And before someone pipes in with 'Tesco is British' 'Aldi is german' etc - they source a hell of a lot of goods here, and employ staff here who spend money here etc etc

Possibly not to the same degree, I do not shop in the north, as I said in other countries I have not seen such variation in prices in supermarkets for similar goods. I do not see how that is being arrogant, its my own observation. Just as I see a huge amount of own brand products in peoples trolleys in supermarkets.

You seem to have a problem accepting that there is a northern irish version of Rubadub, with the exact same shopping habits as you, getting better value than in the ROI, due to the greater price of food and drink in the ROI.

If the equivalent ROI and NI prices of a Big Mac or a regular 14" Margheruita is used for a comparison accross the markets between multiples. Or maybe a litre of own brand milk in UK Tesco vs Ire Tesco, a loaf of bread, a tub of butter, these are valid comparisons. Same product in two different markets. The idea that other items are on bargains in individual stores or whether you choose to avail of poundsaver deals in mcdonalds, or BOGOF pizzas should make any difference to this comparison is utter nonsense and is a only an attempt to muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You seem to have a problem accepting that there is a northern irish version of Rubadub, with the exact same shopping habits as you, getting better value than in the ROI, due to the greater price of food and drink in the ROI.

If the equivalent ROI and NI prices of a Big Mac or a regular 14" Margheruita is used for a comparison accross the markets between multiples. Or maybe a litre of own brand milk in UK Tesco vs Ire Tesco, a loaf of bread, a tub of butter, these are valid comparisons. Same product in two different markets. The idea that other items are on bargains in individual stores or whether you choose to avail of poundsaver deals in mcdonalds, or BOGOF pizzas should make any difference to this comparison is utter nonsense and is a only an attempt to muddy the waters.

Well, we could use the Big Mac Index! :eek:

Big Mac Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently, Dublin was the 10th fastest city in the world to earn a Big Mac in 2006, 15 minutes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

why did i pay 1.45 for a can of strawberries in supervalue one week ago
    yet two days ago i bought the same can in aldi for 0.45, then this tells me we are just being ripped off by the very people who should be looking after their own, while the the outsiders come in and give us a fair price

the gravy train has stopped

goat2 wrote: »
    why did i pay 1.45 for a can of strawberries in supervalue one week ago
    yet two days ago i bought the same can in aldi for 0.45, then this tells me we are just being ripped off by the very people who should be looking after their own, while the the outsiders come in and give us a fair price

the gravy train has stopped

The same brand?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

K-9 wrote: »
    The same brand?

Not a chance of it ! :D

• Advertisement

Well it definirely wasn't the exact same can! :eek:

Advertisement