Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! Advice please I'm Changing my cao courses.....

• 28-06-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Okay, my first choice is physio and I'm not changing that , even though I think I won't get it, but I understand the system and know that I need to have my choices in order of perference so I'm leaving it at that so thats the first 4 placed taken up
    1) UL
    2) RCSI
    3) TCD
    4) UCD

Now , after this comes the dilemma!!! I want to do a health related cousre soo badly I love biology and all things body related! So, I am thinking about putting nursing down... But everyone I talk to say not to put nursing down because they are treated badly etc...

So now, I have just found a course in Trinity called Human Health and Disease which I love the sound of!! It sounds very very interesting , but I'm in the dark about possible job opportunities! It says that it is a good course if you want to pursue a career in medicine, which I may want to do in the future! But, otherwise the jobs would be mainly research based, which I hear are very boring, so I don't know what to do!

Then there are the general science degrees .....

I just don't know what to do!

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

How about radiography in UCD or radiation therapy in TCD? Apparently, they have pretty good job prospects. Occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, dietetics and human nutrition might be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Ya I was looking into them, they don't jump out at me though if you know what I mean!
    I'm just gonna leave it with physio then human health and disease then nursing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

So now, I have just found a course in Trinity called Human Health and Disease which I love the sound of!! It sounds very very interesting , but I'm in the dark about possible job opportunities! It says that it is a good course if you want to pursue a career in medicine, which I may want to do in the future! But, otherwise the jobs would be mainly research based, which I hear are very boring, so I don't know what to do!

I'll ask someone else to post about HH&D......

If you are interested in something, research wont be boring, I dont know who the hell told you that, but it's a bit ridiculous tbh.

BioMed in either UCD or DIT would be worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

If HHandD is appealing to you then what do you give a toss what anyone says about it? Same with Nursing. I dont know a lot about Human Health and Disease but it sounds like its very lab work related and investigative and cure sourcing type based. If you're interested in medicine then this type of program sounds pretty much on key with just the elimination of the interaction with patients (trust me... you might see that as a gift horse in later years - cos with patients comes mountains of paper work - they don't put that in the prospectus!).
    If not that, then as already said, look into Biomedical Science which is more or less the same type of lab related work.
    Such graduates will always be needed. Ever got a blood test done? Or ever hear of someone waiting for their test results to come back? Just who do you imagine are running those tests?

Best of luck whatever you decide... but if patient interaction is what you're after, dont look down on nursing. Yes there are rumors about bad treatment and long hours... but with every crisis and every battle for more 'money', conditions are always exaggerated. If physical interactivity is what you have your mind set on, nursing could well be a better option to medicine for you.

Thanks!! That helped me a lot! I feel Human Health and Disease is a course that will suit me and I would be really into it!

I hope I get the points for it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

tbh if u want to do physio, i wouldnt be putting nursing on my cao. there's a huge difference. would you not consider repeating if you dont get the points?im a midwifery student and whilst we get treated badly as students, that doesnt seem to end when you're qualified(similar for the student nurses) unless you have a true interest in nursing i wouldn't even consider it, your heart really and truly has to be in it or you'll leave in the first few months .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Fad wrote: »
    I'll ask someone else to post about HH&D......

You rang?

Now before I begin I must be honest here, I had HH&D as my first choice last year but missed out on the points and ended up in general science so do feel free to take whatever I'm saying with a gratuitous mountains of salt. However as far as I'm concerned I dodged a major bullet. I know most of what I do as I befriended someone in freshers week who was in science but ended up transferring after rechecks.

HH&D is a strange course to say the least, it's pitched as being academic medicine but in reality it's far from it. Trinity is split into two semesters and all subjects are organised around that divided up into 30 credits. In the first semester HH&D took biology with us for 3 weeks; in these 3 weeks we covered introduction to cellular biology which entailed the characteristics of lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, cell organelles and the evolution of cells. Afterwords HH&D stopped taking classes with us and began taking the radiation therapy chemistry course. This was accompanied by 10 credits of Maths methods (Think somewhere between ordinary and higher maths) and 5 credits of what's called broad curriculum psychology an optional pop psychology course that anyone may take in 3rd year of their degree.

So to break this semester down;
    5 Biology credits
    5 Psychology credits
    10 Chemistry
    10 Maths

The second semester of HH&D is also a little strange, again they take the radiation therapy chemistry course but this time they also take neuroanatomy but it's just neuroanatomy in isolation no biochem or physiology to accompany it. Finally the last 10 credits for this semester involved helping in Trinity's science gallery (something many students do in their spare time) which initially was the love lab but later was the HYPERBOLIC CROCHET CORAL REEF.

So to break the second semester down;
    10 Chemistry
    10 Neuroanatomy
    10 Science Gallery

Now I was initially interested in HH&D because of how it was pitched as the academic years of medicine spread over 4 years so I'd cover all the aspects of biology I enjoy and hoped to go on to do a phd in something neurology based. Based on the first year I'm very very pleased I didn't get it and would have transferred to my science course instead as neuroscience seems to fit the description of HH&D (or at least what I wanted from) it much better. Granted HH&D students claim they're doing the first medical year next year but I remain sceptical as they were supposedly doing it this year. I should also stress that all of these courses, even mine are filled with HPAT repeaters hence why the points are rather high so I imagine class numbers may drop a little next year.

For those interested in what HH&D pitches I can recommend Biomedical Health and Life Sciences in UCD or Biomedical Science in CIT & DIT. The former being of particular interest to med students as those who display aptitude are given the opportunity to transfer have transferred into premed in the last. The CIT & DIT courses are also very worthwhile doing as they are accredited by the HSE and entitle graduates to work in hospital laboratories.

Hope that helps.

oh god......
    I'm confused... :( It sounds like I really messed up course like.... but maybe cause lsat year was its first year it would need some time to get better?
    I really want it to be what it says it is!!!!
    If I do it and don't like it can I switch to science after a few months no bother?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

oh god......
    I'm confused... :( It sounds like I really messed up course like.... but maybe cause lsat year was its first year it would need some time to get better?
    I really want it to be what it says it is!!!!
    If I do it and don't like it can I switch to science after a few months no bother?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Provided you've the points you should be able to. But the longer you leave it the less likely you'll be able to do it since you'll be missing out on a lot. Check out Biomedical Health and Life in UCD as I've said it's closer to what HH&D describes itself as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Msdimplesxxx

i have a similar question, i really want physio!

does anyone know of which science courses are best suited as a back way into physio? i have physio down of course, but feel the points will be really high this year! I have sligo and carlow down too, but would prefer to go to dublin this year and do science if its all the same. Just wondering does anyone know which science courses are best suited? Or should i just do like the omnibus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oreilld4

Hi i'm actually the class rep for HH&D and personally i love the course. We did have some ups and downs but this year there is a couple of changes anyone applying should be made aware of..

First of all BC subject still applies but you do not do two as a previous poster believed. You pick between them, last year we could only pick between two but that should be rectified this year.
    Our first semester modules were maths methods (as with natural science), Cells to systems in human health (part with natural science), Chemistry, Introduction to psychology (not to be confused with BCPSY which is an option with other BC modules). Second semester had neuroanatomy, chemistry and Human health and disease tutorials along with research methods and statistics.

However next year Intro to psych has been supposedly been removed, as has neuroanatomy. This means next year people will do the entire of BY1101 (the natural science introduction to biology) with CSSH. Neuroanatomy has been replaced by embryology (in recognition that its difficult to work with the anatomy of the brain without the rest of the body)

If anybody has any questions on the course before 5.15 today, (when i believe change of mind occurs) please feel free to contact me at oreilld4@tcd.ie and i'll be more than happy to let you know about 1st, 2nd and 3rd year modules (as planned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oreilld4

Oh and you can switch to science should you not enjoy HH&D but really the first semester isn't a great representation of the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

does anyone know of which science courses are best suited as a back way into physio? i have physio down of course, but feel the points will be really high this year! I have sligo and carlow down too, but would prefer to go to dublin this year and do science if its all the same. Just wondering does anyone know which science courses are best suited? Or should i just do like the omnibus?

I've just finished 1st yr Physiotherapy and in my class two people had skipped first year and gone into straight into 2nd (with having to just to anatomy and clinical anatomy modules that we did in 1st year) as one had done a science degree majoring in Physiology and the other student had done Health Science & Physiology in Sligo. So there is other options in that regard.

If you are interested in Health Science then after Physio, Speech and Language Therapy and OT are options. Nursing is quite different than Physiotherapy but I can see why you would want to do it. Science Omnibus is another option but you will have to do a lot of subjects which which may not interest you.

I'd stay away from Radiation Therapy unless it is something you really want to do. Its a tough course dealing with very sick people. I know you also do this with Physio but two girls in my class had been in Radiation Therapy and switched as they couldn't handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Sorry for resurrecting this thread

@Msdimples what course did you end up in? How are you getting on with it?
    Also does anybody know which would be the best option as a back-door into Physiotherapy;Physiology and Health Science in Carlow IT 2 years,Health and Performance Science in UCD 3 years, a sport science 4 years or a general science 4 years?

Advertisement