Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange call from 01 4877833

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi got a call from this number today 014877833. When I answered after only two rings, it hung up. I googled the number and found no answers so tried to call back and it rang for a while before a recorded message came on and said "goodbye". I personally think this kind of thing is very annoying. I thought it might have been Three mobile as they've pulled stunts like that before from call centres where they mass dial and then only take the call that answered first. Has anybody else had a similar experience with this number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always work off the idea that if they really want to talk to me they'll call back. If I don't know the number I ignore it. It could have been someone who dialled a wrong number then realised and hung up and have a stupid answer machine message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Squirrelsoilder

Del2005 wrote: »
    I always work off the idea that if they really want to talk to me they'll call back. If I don't know the number I ignore it. It could have been someone who dialled a wrong number then realised and hung up and have a stupid answer machine message.

It just struck me as an unusual message and thought perhaps others might have received similar calls. Indeed, it could all be perfectly innocent and I could be just over idle on a Monday afternoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It'll be spam of one form or another. You don't want to talk to them anyway, that much is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, Unless this is you, some one else has had a call form this number too with out finding out who they were.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_number_is_014877833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daleoconnell09

That's me that has the http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_number_is_014877833
    I am receiving the exact same thing they called today and i answered they said noting and i rang them back and it rang then I heard good bye and they hung up...I am also wondering who this is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Possibly a fax machine. It [or it's PBX] might be configured to answer calls on that line [DDI]. The "Goodbye" you are hearing is probably just the hang up final action on that number.

Edit
    If it's a fax, god help you. It could continue ringing you for ages.

but fax machines can't ring people right?

but fax machines can't ring people right?

Of course they can. It could initially be user error but the fax machine could continually retry until it succeeds.

There are a lot of different types of fax machines. Some are also just computer software.

If OP can put a fax machine onto his line and activate it when that number comes through, it will tell.

but y me? i'm just a person who rings friends and talks to them...how is it my number being rung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

but y me? i'm just a person who rings friends and talks to them...how is it my number being rung

Ever dialed the wrong number? Easily done.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cos its ringing a wrong number. Probably out by a digit.

no i always call my friends even if call the wrong one i've never called the wrong person and i no this because i only have the sim for a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

no i always call my friends even if call the wrong one i've never called the wrong person and i no this because i only have the sim for a few weeks

Nope they probably dialed your number by accident. Example some dude called Jim persistently rings me looking for his friend Mary. Now when he repeats her number to me when I tell him for the 100th time wrong number he is out by 1 digit. Very easily done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Eek thats actually so creepy. Maybe its like the ring. 7 days!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Did you just recently get this SIM and number? Mobile companies recycle numbers after a period of time so chances are someone else owned this number previously.

They could have had it set up to receive these fax type calls regularly.

I'd say try to ring 01 4877800 to see if thats the switchboard associated with that number.

If not, might be worth giving comreg a call to see if they have any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Seems to be some crowd called Paydak? international money transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've got about 6-7 calls yesterday, to which I answer and I just get a beep-beep sound like they have hung up but I answer after like one ring so that couldn't be the case.

I've emailed Vodafone about it, kinda annoying.

Kevin! wrote: »
    I've got about 6-7 calls yesterday, to which I answer and I just get a beep-beep sound like they have hung up but I answer after like one ring so that couldn't be the case.

I've emailed Vodafone about it, kinda annoying.

Vodafone can't really do anything much.
    And why do people insist on emailing companies. More often then not, your email will go un noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

RangeR wrote: »
    Vodafone can't really do anything much.
    And why do people insist on emailing companies. More often then not, your email will go un noticed.

I didn't email them, I posted it on there Vodafone View forum which is public so they have to be seen to take action.

I'm just looking to find out whos calling and what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

That number is very similar to a number I use to call my bro in the states. The company I use are called rebtel I put credit in my account and because I have free local calls I call an irish number 01 48778** and get put through to him in the states. Likewise for him, he calls a US number and gets through to me here. Maybe it's someone with one of these accounts in a foreign country trying to call you???

• Advertisement
Advertisement