Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate yourself as a driver?

• 28-06-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Simple question, how would you rate yourself as a driver? 1 to 10 ? Where 10 is perfect. And, list your main driving bad habit, if any, be honest :P.

I'll start, I'm a "7".

BAD HABIT :"Flashing slow drivers in overtaking lane or RHS lane of motorway".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

id say 5 (if we are talking driving perfectly to the letter of the law)

bad habits -
    Undertaking
    Speeding on ridiculous 50 or 60 kmh dual carriageways

EDIT: One handed steering (resting the arm on the armrest or out the window if a hot day isnt an easy habit to shake :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd say I'm an 8. Technically quite good :D

BAD HABITS:

Motorway speeding (quite good at obeying local speed limits)
    Throwing the car around (apparently, I get told this by my family)

THINGS I'M USELESS AT:

Parallel parking and judging bumper distances, I lack depth perception. Thank god for parking sensors.

I'd say a 6 day to day driving, have loads of bad habits, frequently go over the speed limit, have been known to not wear a seat belt on quick close to home runs to shop etc, one handed steering, not overly bothered in checking my mirrors. But then I am very vigilant and have had very few stand on the brake moments in 10 years.

I wouldn't rate myself as much of a pilot, would be awful at a track day or similar I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd say a 6 day to day driving, have loads of bad habits, frequently go over the speed limit, have been known to not wear a seat belt on quick close to home runs to shop etc, one handed steering, not overly bothered in checking my windows. But then I am very vigilant and have had very few stand on the brake moments in 10 years.

I wouldn't rate myself as much of a pilot, would be awful at a track day or similar I reckon.
    actually I can add that to my list aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Im a ten anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

About a 7 maybe.

I rarely stick to the speed limit and drive too close to the car in front at times. I am always reading the road ahead though and watching my mirrors. Even though in the warmer weather it's a bit hard keeping your eyes on the road at all times:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

EPM wrote: »
    .....though in the warmer weather it's a bit hard keeping your eyes on the road at all times:pac:

Know exactly what you mean! And I'm not complaining either!

I'd say I'm a 7 or so.

My main bad habit is my reaction to tailgaters. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

10 going on 11 I think..... considerably CONSIDERABLY better than you lot....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

corktina wrote: »
    10 going on 11 I think..... considerably CONSIDERABLY better than you lot....:D

I must be a 12 so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

zubair wrote: »
    I must be a 12 so!

we aint counting inches....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'd say i'm a 7 or 8,

used to be a 2 and think i was a 10 :D

I've improved my personal driving ten-fold over the past 7 years or so and i've taken a few additional courses etc.

Things I am **** at: more advanced stuff like J-turns and scandinavian flicks, I'd like to get better at those but don't want to use a car belonging to me to practice them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

over 9000 :D...or 7

bad habits :

one handed driving , leaning out the window having a smoke
    motorway speeding
    flashing slow drivers out of the way (including speeding up to make any driver of a car i dont like a 'slow' driver in the right hand lane)
    beeping the horn and throwing the finger to sh*te women drivers when they do something wrong (the more kids in the car the more finger pointing and swearing i do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

i'd say i'm about average, a lot like everyone else :D

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

About 6.5

Average enough.

I get impatient at roundabouts when people forget the whole indicating extravaganza thing!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I have passed the test and I meet the requirements to hold a driving license in this country. 10 out of 10 =)

Seriously though.
    About a 6 or 7.

Technically I can handle the car and I dont have a problem driving but its with other people who I feel are not driving correctly for the conditions is where I have a problem. These are:
    - No tolerance for slow drivers
    - No tolerance for drivers who make mistakes when driving such as switching lanes for no reason and not indicating.
    - Tailgaters dont get respect from me and I never make a point of getting out of the way when I wouldn't move in normally.

Also, separate to that I do speed when the conditions are suitable. So thats motorway or old N roads that were taken down in speed limit because of a motorway toll. And when no one is around I do cross lanes on small roundabout.

I am strict on speed in towns and built up areas though as well as winding roads. Its only straight roads that I speed on. And aside from the motorway I wouldnt be speeding if the speed limit was the way it used to be :p

Im sure there is more, Im an ass =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

varies from 7/8 down to about 3 which I get frustrated with someone being stupid or in heavy traffic.

the change is pretty worrying somtimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd say a 6 day to day driving, have loads of bad habits, frequently go over the speed limit, have been known to not wear a seat belt on quick close to home runs to shop etc, one handed steering, not overly bothered in checking my mirrors. But then I am very vigilant and have had very few stand on the brake moments in 10 years.

:eek:

I assume you're just talking about driving in a straight line or something? If you're not overly bothered about checking mirrors when changing lanes then you're about a -10 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

about seven i suppose.

my observation is my strongest point, and i have good spatial awareness. Car control I would rate as average. My weak side is I tend to tailgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I dont know ye tell me....

I speed on the motorway but not in 60/50 zones.
    I tailgate and flash the car in front if they are lane hogging but not if theres more obstructions in front of them.
    I dont really do anything else bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Drive with my fog lights on when theres no fog.....guess that makes me -1,000,000 or something :D

Joking obviously!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

flashing slow drivers out of the way (including speeding up to make any driver of a car i dont like a 'slow' driver in the right hand lane)
    beeping the horn and throwing the finger to sh*te women drivers when they do something wrong (the more kids in the car the more finger pointing and swearing i do)

You sound like a 3.

Any reason you try to scare the sh!t out of kids because of their mothers bad driving?

To answer the OP, I'm a 6. Would be an 8 or 9 for awareness and perception but using the phone on the motorway and usually doing 130-135 kmh on the motorway gives me a 6. 20+ years of driving and being the passenger in two very bad accidents has wised me up no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Id say a 6

- Minus points
    Habit of left hand on armrest/gearstick, right elbow on window.
    Not enough experience, only cover 5000Km per year max.
    Not enough experience in extreme weather, ice, snow etc. Know the basics but wouldnt like to find myself out of control.
    Get worked up far too easily after someone does something stupid.

+ Plus Points
    Very observant, probably because I cycle more KMs per year than drive
    I read the road ahead quite well
    I dont have front fog lights on my car
    I have a Penis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In my own area, i'd rate myself very highly, know the roads well, do reasonable speeds, am courteous and considerate, indicate all the time etc etc. Only bad point is one handed steering about 90% of the time. 8-9.

Outside of my area i'd rate myself lower, i'll pay little heade to any speed limits (not speeding, just don't even look for them), may indicate at the last second, observation goes down in unfamiliar areas etc. 7 probably.

Still infinitely better than the sh1te I see every day, I don't take stupid risks, know how to use a roundabout, don't floor it at orange lights, don't sit on people arses, always have my lights on. I get so infuriated by the people driving around me everyday, that I make a point of not doing it to other people.

:eek:

I assume you're just talking about driving in a straight line or something? If you're not overly bothered about checking mirrors when changing lanes then you're about a -10 tbh.

Yeah, when going straight :) I throw a good glance over the shoulder when changing lanes as well as checking the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

7 to 8.

-
    Usual one of speeding on motorways and good N roads, undertaking on motorways/multi lane roads.

+
    Mirrors/blind spot checks, consideration for other drivers( I even let Taxi's out of side roads:D), keeping safe distances.

For all the people saying they are bad drivers for flashing slower drivers in the overtaking lane, that's the method you are supposed to use. I've asked several Gardaí and that's what they've all told me to do. I'm assuming that you are at least waiting for them to have space to pull into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give myself a 11. Im that good :D

TBH I would rate myself a 7.

Bad habits.

(1) Speeding at times.
    (2) Leaving the steering wheel spin without holding it with both hands. A good example would be after turning right / left coming out of a junction. I am too used of driving heavy duty machinery :D
    (3) Reverse parking in between two cars. Can do it but not my best point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Id rate myself a 7. My bad habits is that an amber light means nail it down, not slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

This thread just confirms, what was said long time ago - "No man is going to confirm that he's a bad driver and bad lover. But only first part is 100% certain".

Everyone here goes something like 6 to 8 out of 10.

I drive for over 10 years, have done almost half a million kilometres in different countries and roads. Took part in good few car rallies, and I work as a bus driver. Never had any accident. And even this, I wouldn't give myself more then 3 out of 10.

If all of ya have 6, 7 or 8, what would you give to that guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MSb-BoyO4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

bout a 5 but then again im only learning, still find it hard to judge how soon to start slowing down so i can change down gears for roundabouts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I must be exceptional as I passed every driving test I put myself up for and as such have a licence to drive any vehicle in this country :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

vectra wrote: »
    I must be exceptional as I passed every driving test I put myself up for and as such have a licence to drive any vehicle in this country :D

Can you drive a digger or excavator?
    Can you drive a train or a tram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CiniO wrote: »

work vehicles so yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

1/10 if it comes to obeying rules of the road.
    7-8/10 for ability though, and that's not being arrogant. I'll prove it whenever needed to. :)

a rounded up 4, I think is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think you'll find thats a professional rally driver, a sportsman if you will.

How would you rate yourself at climbing into a bath? -10 I suspect if you compare olympic swimmers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How would you rate yourself at climbing into a bath? -10 I suspect if you compare olympic swimmers...

I really hope they don't try and take a 10 metre dive into their baths, definitely a -10 for that.

I 'd give myself an 8.

Marks off for one handed driving and I'm useless at reverse parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Probably 4/10

The good bits...

It's been less than three years since I passed the test, and I've yet to get into any serious bad habits. I still indicate when exiting roundabouts - something which it seems no other f*cker can be bothered doing. I find reverse parking fairly easy (when I was learning, I used to practice parking between wheelie bins). I have a few penalty points, but I'm not much of a speeder. I don't undertake, unless the car in front is going painfully slow and I've been flashing them for a while beforehand. I don't really drive fast enough to be able to test my 'car control' abilities, but I'm fine on ice/snow (plenty of practice, last winter).

The bad bits...

While alongside any car that I happen to be undertaking, I will inevitably blast the horn for longer than is necessary. Despite rarely exceeding the limit, I tend to accelerate sharp-ish and brake slightly late and hard, so I'm probably not very kind to the car (or passengers, apparently) and burn a bit more petrol than I should.

Overall: Not the worst, but could do better.

This thread just confirms, what was said long time ago - "No man is going to confirm that he's a bad driver and bad lover. But only first part is 100% certain".

Everyone here goes something like 6 to 8 out of 10.

I drive for over 10 years, have done almost half a million kilometres in different countries and roads. Took part in good few car rallies, and I work as a bus driver. Never had any accident. And even this, I wouldn't give myself more then 3 out of 10.

I don't see what you've linked to as being in any way related to the topic at hand?

Clearly none of us race to work in the morning. If you genuinely give yourself a 3/10 for general driving ability then you really shouldn't be a professional driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Probably about a 3.
    I'll list my good habits: it'll take less time.

I don't drive in the overtaking lane (unless overtaking obviously).
    I don't drive with my fog lights on.
    I know how roundabouts work.
    I indicate.
    I can park like I colour: inside the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Bout a 6 i'd say :D

Both hands on the wheel is a rare occurrence
    Can get a bit cranky and throw a few fcuk's if someone is doing something stupid (especially doing 20 MPH in good weather on a quite road)
    Although i stick religiously to the 50 and in most of the 60 KPH speed limits, i do speed a little when on a good road or motorway :eek:
    And do have a bad habit of answering the phone then pulling over, instead of the other way around

On a positive note my parking is sh1t hot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

My driving's fine. No wait, that's not exactly accurate, what I meant to write was that I got fined for driving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

About a 7, main faults are one hand steering and under taking and breaking the speed limits on some dual carriageways and motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'd give myself an 8.

Bad habits:

One handed steering
    "Forgetting" what the last speed limit sign said
    Speeding on motorways

With that said I've never crashed any of my cars *touch wood* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Getting caught speeding, failure on my part to not notice the big honking great gatso up ahead.

Taking feet off the pedals when I have the cruise control on.

Using the right foot too much and wasting Diesel.

Cover about 45,000km/year.

I'd rate myself a 7/10 (3 being areas i could improve upon)

Not sure what the general consensus is on what makes a good driver though, I see it as not turning into a total self righteous assh*le once you get behind the wheel.

Taking feet off the pedals when I have the cruise control on.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

:confused:

Sit at 120 on an empty motorway with the cruise control on for 45 minutes and your foot resting on the brake pedal, you'll know what i mean ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement