Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate yourself as a driver?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sit at 120 on an empty motorway with the cruise control on for 45 minutes and your foot resting on the brake pedal, you'll know what i mean ..
    You keep your foot resting on the brake pedal!? :eek:

Why would you do that? You don't need to rest your foot on any pedals, that's the point of cruise control! Hence my confused face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

I'd give myself an 8.

Bad habits:

One handed steering
    "Forgetting" what the last speed limit sign said
    Speeding on motorways

With that said I've never crashed any of my cars *touch wood* :D

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I rate myself a modest 10/10 for being just excellent at driving.
    NO bad habits and actually bonus point because I wave at everyone driving the opposite direction hence I am known as the Tsunami for the amount of waving I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

A fairly confident 8.5...

Good points:
    Very obedient to speed limits..
    Indicate
    Very observant

Bad points:
    Texting while driving or playing with the ipod..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

A fairly confident 8.5...

Good points:
    Very obedient to speed limits..
    Indicate
    Very observant

Bad points:
    Texting while driving or playing with the ipod..
    automatically gives you a 0/10 IMO. No excuse for texting when driving, its one of the most idiotic things that occurs on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

can we go back to the beginning and start again....? Rate yourself as a driver...give yourselves a rating from 7 to 12...there thats fixed it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You keep your foot resting on the brake pedal!? :eek:

Why would you do that? You don't need to rest your foot on any pedals, that's the point of cruise control! Hence my confused face.

Reaction time is much longer, its seen as bad pratice in Germany anyway.

Brake pedal is the fastest way to turn off the cruise control also.

Saying that if your feet are resting on the floor and something happens suddenly (usually a micra pulling out in front of a truck into the fast lane) it can sometimes be difficult to find the brakes ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CiniO wrote: »

If all of ya have 6, 7 or 8, what would you give to that guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MSb-BoyO4

Hmmm.... speeding and driving in what could only be a pedestrianised area, fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Good thread. I like to think for most part my driving is pretty good.....bad habits.....get very impatient with people driving way under the speed limit, people tailgating me drive me mental, & people not indicating on roundabouts cause me undue stress also. 7 or 8 out of 10 maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Max Power1 wrote: »
    automatically gives you a 0/10 IMO. No excuse for texting when driving, its one of the most idiotic things that occurs on our roads.

And speeding isnt...

Dont want to defend my "idiotic" behaviour but i can text wthout looking at the phone.. Def only a 1.5 point reduction!!!:D

And speeding isnt...

Dont want to defend my "idiotic" behaviour but i can text wthout looking at the phone.. Def only a 1.5 point reduction!!!:D
    140kmh on a motorway in a large car is hardly idiotic. :D

Texting when stopped at the lights or in slow traffic etc is obviously grand but I just dont see how anyone can text when the car is in motion.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    140kmh on a motorway in a large car is hardly idiotic. :D

Texting when stopped at the lights or in slow traffic etc is obviously grand but I just dont see how anyone can text when the car is in motion.

Same goes for the BMW iDrive system .. wtf is that thing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Having driven psv for years I would rate myself 9. Always remember- you`re only as good as the clown you are meeting. OK so I reckon you have to be driving for about 10 years before you can really read the road. I honestly cannot think of one fault I have with driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'd give myself a 7, or maybe an 8 on a good day.

> 15 yrs driving.

The Good:

- Excellent observation. I always have a good awareness on what's going on on the road around me.

- Very careful overtaker. I never take chances with overtakes or other manoeuvres.

- I tend to move smoothly and predictably. Years ago while taking lessons, my instructor commented that I would make "a very stylish driver", and I think I do :P

- Several times, I've had people comment to me that although they are nervous passengers they feel at ease being driven by me.

The Bad:

- Speed fairly regularly, not by huge amounts.

- When queuing in heavy traffic my concentration sometimes wanders and I've had one of two very minor "shunt" incidents because of it!

The Ugly:

- I like to get ahead first at lights with 2 lanes :D

- Guilty of the odd bit of "rallying" on quiet back roads.

Duckjob wrote: »

The Ugly:

- I like to get ahead first at lights with 2 lanes :D
    ^
    This! I do that too... it must be some sort of in built instinct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

ah some pretty honest answers here on this thread....

It seems like most people rate themselves as good to excellent drivers... myself included... have to admit to reading some of the comments here and agreeing...:P

The reason for most bad habits or annoyances is caused by 'other drivers' interfering with our progression? i.e. but cutting in front, not indicating or going too slow etc. Is that fair to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Have to say that I would like to think that i'd be a 7 or 8.

Bad:
    Flashing people sitting at 115 in Right Hand lane of Motorway.
    Undertaking people who sit doing 60 - 80 in Lane 2 of a 3 lane road (move in people).frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

8 for me :D

And speeding isnt...

Nobody cares how you text, diverting any concentration to it instead of driving is stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

teednab-el wrote: »
    ....(2) Leaving the steering wheel spin without holding it with both hands. A good example would be after turning right / left coming out of a junction. I am too used of driving heavy duty machinery :D
    (3) Reverse parking in between two cars. Can do it but not my best point.
    ....oooer, for (2), I think techinically, you aren't driving, you are a passenger..........and as for (3) good grief, how do you park Plant, so ??:confused:
    CiniO wrote: »
    This thread just confirms, what was said long time ago - "No man is going to confirm that he's a bad driver and bad lover. But only first part is 100% certain".If all of ya have 6, 7 or 8, what would you give to that guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MSb-BoyO4
    Yer right about the first part :p and that lad is good too. But, I have to say, the worst Rally in Ireland is a million times better marshalled. I haven't seen such crowd stupidity since 1986.............
    Reaction time is much longer, its seen as bad pratice in Germany anyway.

Brake pedal is the fastest way to turn off the cruise control also.

Saying that if your feet are resting on the floor and something happens suddenly (usually a micra pulling out in front of a truck into the fast lane) it can sometimes be difficult to find the brakes ! :)
    FAIL, big time. You're assuming the only reaction to emergency, is to brake. Quite often, the opposite is the case. If you'd ever driven a 'bike, you'd be more aware of that.....

Me ? ooooh, that's a good one.

Good points:
    Very rarely speed, never on Sundays :p
    Good spatial awareness, don't brake as much as SO with oncoming traffic - i.e., I know how wide my veh is.........:rolleyes:
    Good observation skills
    Aim to drive without unneccesary braking
    Loved doing the IAM test (I kid you not, I can't drive outrside of the 10-2 position now ! :o )

(I put a lot of that down to riding a 'bike most days, and the Police Roadcraft Manual......)

Bad points:
    More likely to make mistakes going slower, rather than faster.
    Don't make enough allowances for.........others: e.g. am not afraid to use handling of car to it's maximum. Sometimes, passengers/others don't seem to appreciate this :)
    Have been known to handle a phone.........:( but am working on it !

Score ? No idea, if I said 10, I'd have nothing left to learn, and that's not right ! So, dunno, 7, 8 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    FAIL, big time. You're assuming the only reaction to emergency, is to brake. Quite often, the opposite is the case. If you'd ever driven a 'bike, you'd be more aware of that.....

Have driven a bike, obviously you've never driven on unrestricted autobahn :)

2 Lanes, unless you fly off the side of the motorway there isnt much else you can do.

Other reaction would be to blast the horn, flash lights and hope they get out of the way :)

Even though the car pulling out is completely in the wrong and its a rare occurence it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have driven a bike, obviously you've never driven on unrestricted autobahn :)

yes I have, actually, and topped out on the speedo as well btw, :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement