Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Few Questions!

• 28-06-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

So after burning out an old xbox and corrupted a hard drive.
    I am unsure whether to invest in microsoft points and buy map packs etc.

So if i buy avatar accessories for example. are they tied to the hard drive or the account? If i corrupted another hdd could i re-download the map packs/avatar stuff for free? or would I have to pay all over again?

Also me and my brother have seperate xbl accounts on the same xbox, so if i bought map packs could we both use them or do we need to both buy them?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As I understand it, if your account pays for and downloads a game or Avatar Item, you can download it again without charge, but the content is locked to that account - so in the case of maps for a game, you might only be able to access them if that account is logged in and/or playing. I'm not sure on that side of it though, it's just me on my XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

Cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A good example would be you put your profile on a usb key and go to a mates house to play Modern warfare, you cna also put dlc on the usb key like map packs or songs form rock band or guitar hero. The content will work on another xbox as long as you are singed in and it's connected to xbox live.

Otherwise things like arcade games etc will appear as demos and maps just wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

E0inz wrote: »

So if i buy avatar accessories for example. are they tied to the hard drive or the account? If i corrupted another hdd could i re-download the map packs/avatar stuff for free? or would I have to pay all over again?

Cheers.

I'm on my ninth xbox , and i've had to redownload the graw map pack 8 times:D.

Once you buy something on your account thats it , if anything happens your xbox and u need to get a new one then you just redownload (No cost) the only problem is trying to remember all the map packs , pics themes and avatars that you have bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Shammy wrote: »
    I'm on my ninth xbox , and i've had to redownload the graw map pack 8 times:D.

Once you buy something on your account thats it , if anything happens your xbox and u need to get a new one then you just redownload (No cost) the only problem is trying to remember all the map packs , pics themes and avatars that you have bought.

You can see everything tied to the account on xbox.com or if you press the guide button , settings , account management, download history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I have posted on this issue several times but I'm 99.9% sure this is how it goes:

DLC (Downloaded Content) is tied to the initial console it was downloaded on. Everybody can access this content, whether or not you're signed into xbox Live or using some other profile on that console.

DLC is tied to a gamertag too, the one that purchased the content. If you take you hard drive to a friends house then you can only access the games/maps if you're logged in on that console as your xbox live gamertag and have an internet connection - otherwise the map packs don't show up and the games are trial versions.

Microsoft provides a facility to transfer the "offline" license to another console, e.g. if you upgrade or get a new one/RROD replacement - this can only be done once a year though and all licenses are transferred to stop you giving friends only the older DLC you don't play anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I have posted on this issue several times but I'm 99.9% sure this is how it goes:

DLC (Downloaded Content) is tied to the initial console it was downloaded on. Everybody can access this content, whether or not you're signed into xbox Live or using some other profile on that console.

DLC is tied to a gamertag too, the one that purchased the content. If you take you hard drive to a friends house then you can only access the games/maps if you're logged in on that console as your xbox live gamertag and have an internet connection - otherwise the map packs don't show up and the games are trial versions.

Microsoft provides a facility to transfer the "offline" license to another console, e.g. if you upgrade or get a new one/RROD replacement - this can only be done once a year though and all licenses are transferred to stop you giving friends only the older DLC you don't play anymore.

I can confirm this as I had to go through this process after replacing my old xbox from a RRoD. Well put.

Advertisement