Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anvil BBC4 tonight 10 pm

Options
  • 28-06-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)

Premiere. Sacha Gervasi's documentary follows Canadian rockers Anvil as they embark on one final push for fame. Despite playing a key role in the birth of speed metal and inspiring bands such as Metallica and Guns N' Roses, Anvil have never succeeded in achieving the recognition they deserved. Now in their fifties, the band heads into the studio to record their 13th album and set off on a ramshackle tour of Europe

Its repeated as follows

BBC 4 June 29th at 1:50am
    BBC 4 July 2nd at 10:30pm
    BBC 4 July 5th at 1:00am

So you have no excuses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

This is a great film

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

gally74 wrote: »
    This is a great film

Granted, except the announcer on BBC1 introduced the film as "the band who inspired Metallica"....sorry, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Granted, except the announcer on BBC1 introduced the film as "the band who inspired Metallica"....sorry, how?

Metallica themselves perhaps ? :)
    Somewhere in the 80's they did an interview stating Anvil as one of their main influences.

Sadly enough hardly anyone knows this and sees them as some sort of Spinal Tap-wannabe group who revel in their obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Have you never listened to Metal On Metal?

blastman wrote: »
    Have you never listened to Metal On Metal?

Me ?
    Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Saw this before, great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Metallica themselves perhaps ? :)
    Somewhere in the 80's they did an interview stating Anvil as one of their main influences.

Pity Anvil didn't get cover treatment on Garage Inc, they could have made some money out of it, most of the bands covered on that album got both reunion gigs and rent money from the royalties they earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly enough hardly anyone knows this and sees them as some sort of Spinal Tap-wannabe group who revel in their obscurity.

I just watched it off tape and that view would be hard to sustain, they really want it!

One thing that struck me, well two things, first - one of the bands that claim to have been influenced really should have done the decent thing if only they'd been contacted and the other is how unsavvy Anvil were. They might been moribund but the name still has a certain resonance and they never thought to exploit that fact. If I'd been in that band or known them I'd have drawn up a plan of attack based on the web - a Youtube Anvil channel of classics (assuming they had ownership of their own songs of course), every metal blog and spin off website mailed with a promo pack of new material a dedicated website plus the usual facebook/myspace outlets, direct selling of both Cds and downloads, then the magazines and radio stations tackled, then the music cable channels with new material filmed cheaply but effectively.

Of course they ultimately needed none of that cos someone made a film about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Me ?
    Of course.

Not you, Motley Crue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I'd been meaning to watch this for a while, and so glad I caught it by chance.
    One thing I did wonder, and I do not mean to be uncharitable to Metallica here, but if they were so influenced by Anvil, why not offer them an opening slot on one of thier tours? I'm possibly being naive.
    But back on topic, does anyone here know how Anvil are doing now? Did the film help raise their profile at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

caught the second half of this the other night - makes for very interesting viewing.

But back on topic, does anyone here know how Anvil are doing now? Did the film help raise their profile at all?

It definitely did, they have albums which are now being re-released, they started touring again (And not just small clubs, Wacken for example),...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ShumanTheHuman

Really enjoyed this and hope they are doing well, but can't help thinking the playground bang-a-round lyrics, d1ldo plectrum and b0ndage gear didn't help them in the early recording years. Lack of/bad management seems to be their major problem. Their recent appearances would suggest they have finally got someone who knows what their doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Really enjoyed this and hope they are doing well, but can't help thinking the playground bang-a-round lyrics, d1ldo plectrum and b0ndage gear didn't help them in the early recording years. Lack of/bad management seems to be their major problem. Their recent appearances would suggest they have finally got someone who knows what their doing
    tbf it didnt work out too badly for bands like motley crue , and judas priest!

I'd agree with the bad management aspect though, the documentary seemed to give that impression!

Advertisement