Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street photography photowalk - 6th July

• 28-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of organising a few boardsies together for a street photography photowalk.

The idea is that you take photos with no tripod and the general theme is street photography.

It's not for the faint of heart because I'm hoping to get people who are used to taking pictures of strangers in town.

Best area for doing this is around Temple Bar maybe down by the Italian quarters up towards Jervis Street

I'm looking to run this maybe next Tuesday the 6th of July (tomorrow week).

I'd ideally like to do it when it's bright so it would have to be during the day or early evening.

Let me know if you are interested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I’ve only had a few attempts at street photography but in my limited experience, I would say this will only work with very small groups (or even on your own). To me, street photography works better ninja.png style when you don’t draw attention to yourself.

I’d like to join you but nothing during the week in the city suits me at the minute due to work and I already know what im doing ever weekend now til September :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

swingking wrote: »
    It's not for the faint of heart because I'm hoping to get people who are used to taking pictures of strangers in town.
    By "strangers", do you mean random people, or the acts on the street? Myself, I finish work at 17:00 so could get into the city center and car parked on Jervis Street by 18:00 if the traffic is good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

hmm i think I would go and try to do some street photography. I think it's best to go early mroning and see how people go to work, start day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would love to take some more candid/street shots. I will check if I have a free day on Tuesday 6th.
    Remember these lovely people who were only too pleased to pose for us on our last walkabout.

0CF30E4BABCE4B4E8C428505FC83D9FA-240.jpg

3834FC6E91D9464791291A2A13119EAE-240.jpg

A220A7E11F9247B5ADFE962EA263872D-240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Is this still a goer?

• Advertisement

Hopefully it is. Swingking might let us know a time and meeting place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

sorry guys. I'm really busy this week. It'll have to be another time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

........I would say this will only work with very small groups (or even on your own). To me, street photography works better ninja.png style when you don’t draw attention to yourself.

I

You'll struggle to get Street candids with a bunch, it is hard enough solo. Then if you do interactive street where you go chat then take pictures, a group would have less chance than a individual.

The nerves thing won't go away with a group, your still sticking your lens in someones face at 3 to 4 feet. Ok it might be comforting to know a fellow photog is 30 metres away if thing gets nasty but you still have to get in the subject's face. This though is also an addictive rush that never get's tired and leads to some interesting moments.

I'd suggest temple bar, grafton street as people tend to be more ammenable there.

Grafton Street is good in sense there is a flow and constant subjects to busy generally to notice. What any newbie street person might try is putting their back against a column or bollard that is in the thoroughfare and becoming stationary, people will flow past you, after a while people don't notice you. You have you camera pre-focused to something like 4- 5 feet and as they come into your zone. raise camera quickly and ping ..dropping camera again, most will not even notice, very few will stop. (don't do the digital thing at that moment of checking LCD - I assume if they see that going on you might get more stopping)

This is where film works better imho... people these days are less threatened by film.. and if your using an antiquated folder they are probably more scared you are a bit looney tunes..)

Street is essentially a solo pursuit but very busy streets like grafton street a pair could work together if you needed that comfort of a friend nearby. 30 metres apart both wold be lost in the throng on busy days but close enough to keep tabs on each other.

just my two cents worth

Simplicius
    All your points are good.

Advertisement