Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixie!!

• 28-06-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I hate the word 'fixie'

why is it that people think just because it's a 'fixie' the bike is worth a lot of money?

Also, is it possible to ride fixed gear without people automatically thinking youre a hipster-douche?

I left my bike in NCAD for a few hrs during the graduation week and someone wrote '****ér' on the top tube, I have old box section rims with tan wall tyres, there was a good few neon deep v handbag bikes around but somehow mine got picked out!!

It wasnt too bad because I have a layer of wd40 on my frame so everything wipes off in 1 sweep, frame is high polish unpainted steel.

This has been irritating me the past while

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Take one of these ;)

Chill%20Pill.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I left my bike in NCAD..and someone wrote '****ér' on the top tube

There's irony in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Lumen wrote: »
    There's irony in there somewhere.

was meeting a couple of friends, I never went to art college!

was meeting a couple of friends, I never went to art college!

Indeed.

There are a number of possible explanations:

1. The vandal was not an art student and was stating the obvious, based on prejudice against art students.
    2. The vandal was a student and was stating the obvious, based on generalised self-awareness.
    3. The vandal was a man and was stating the obvious, based on generalised self-awareness.
    4. The vandal couldn't afford a shiny fixie because he'd spent all his money on marker pens, crayons and other art products.
    5. The vandal, upon seeing his image reflected in your shiny top tube, scribed the first word he associated with his own self-image.

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Lumen wrote: »
    Indeed.

There are a number of possible explanations:

1. The vandal was not an art student and was stating the obvious, based on prejudice against art students.
    2. The vandal was a student and was stating the obvious, based on generalised self-awareness.
    3. The vandal was a man and was stating the obvious, based on generalised self-awareness.
    4. The vandal couldn't afford a shiny fixie because he'd spent all his money on marker pens, crayons and other art products.
    5. The vandal, upon seeing his image reflected in your shiny top tube, scribed the first word he associated with his own self-image.

etc

maybe it was a hipster douche who was jealous of my simple bike while he had wasted 800euro on his and he cant ride it because people shout ****ér at him. art colleges are funny places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

How was ****ér rendered? Quick scribble? Probably someone in Fine Art. Lovingly crafted letterforms - Vis Comm. Laser Etched - Industrial Designer.

maybe it was a hipster douche who was jealous of my simple bike while he had wasted 800euro on his and he cant ride it because people shout ****ér at him. art colleges are funny places

Perhaps you need some scary looking spoke cards.

213h2q.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have "Captain Havoc" written on my top tube, nobody would dare vandalise it!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I have "Captain Havoc" written on my top tube, nobody would dare vandalise it!
    We all know you're not a wanker. We've seen "that" video of you

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I left my bike in NCAD for a few hrs during the graduation week and someone wrote '****ér' on the top tube, I have old box section rims with tan wall tyres, there was a good few neon deep v handbag bikes around but somehow mine got picked out!!
    Mine has "the Blow-job" written on the top tube (in pink (in Italian)), so maybe the next On-One will be the "Il Segaiolo"...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...why is it that people think just because it's a 'fixie' the bike is worth a lot of money?

Also, is it possible to ride fixed gear without people automatically thinking youre a hipster-douche?...

Where did you get the idea its about money.

If someone knows what a hipster-douche is, then they shouldn't throw stones from their glass house.

Get a MTB from halfords and convert it to fixed gear. That will confuse them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Surely any self-respecting art student would have written 'Ceci n'est pas un wanker' so I think you can cross them off your list of suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

BostonB wrote: »

Get a MTB from halfords and convert it to fixed gear. That will confuse them.

You mean like this?

http://www.adverts.ie/224829/bikes/single-speed-fixie-mtb-for-sale/

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Moflojo wrote: »
    Surely any self-respecting art student would have written 'Ceci n'est pas un wanker' so I think you can cross them off your list of suspects.

They'd have welded it to the pole as art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't write 'wanquer'.

I decided to emulate Tracey Emin and her tent by writing the names of all the people I have ever slept with on my bike. My friend did the same but no-one would believe that she had only ever slept with some bloke called 'Claude Butler'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mark the shark

Probably photographed it and sold it for 20k.:pac:

Advertisement