Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baz's extrem worlds... CHAD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Mate recommended it to me, haven't seen it yet. He said it cast the DF in a very professional light. Must give it a look see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

iceage wrote: »
    Mate recommended it to me, haven't seen it yet. He said it cast the DF in a very professional light. Must give it a look see.

it was all staged. he needed a minder so he would not get his head blown off. did not stay very long did he.

Wouldn't know, as I said I haven't seen it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it was all staged. he needed a minder so he would not get his head blown off. did not stay very long did he.
    Wouldn't know, as I said I haven't seen it yet.

Don't mind him, just watch the show and enjoy it.

Its very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I thought it was rubbish and cheesey, there was a load of bulls**t in it that made me want to puke.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    I thought it was rubbish and cheesey, there was a load of bulls**t in it that made me want to puke.

Maybe its just me, but I thought it reflected some of my experiences oversea's.

Missing family & home, the hardships & challenges of working outside your comfort zone. And the lads commitment to working in a professional and dedicated manner.. But maybe your oversea's experiences have been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wasn't bad. Wee bit glossy, but decent overall. Most importantly, the work of the DF overseas is getting to see the light of day here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Wasn't bad, a bit short on running time though. Always good to see the professionalism and good work the DF do abroad highlighted.

F*ck the begrudgers.

Wasn't long enough and barely scratched the surface I reckon. More about Baz, his personal sanitation and his Ryvita fetish.

About time though that something like this has been knocked up by RTE if for no other reason than to show the public at home exactly what your DF is up to and why in the likes of Chad, but no mention of previous Irish tours in Kosovo, liberia, Timor or the Leb?? The producers could have at least made a 2 parter out of this incorporating the guys return from Chad and a chat again with the same faces that he had spent time with in Camp Aoife or on patrol with.

Nothing negative to say about it, a bit of publicity for Irish Troops serving overseas but more a case of how roughty toughty your man was (not). I thought it a touching tribute by the lad who was carrying his Dad's ashes with him. I'm sure his old man would have been proud of him and chuffed to bits to be with him.

For that fact they can all be proud of themselves, tough job and tough conditions definately no walk in the park. Getting the feeling though it'll all be for something else maybe?

Now at least I can tell my mate I've seen it and get him off my back...hes been on at me for at least a week! Thanks Makikomi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Don't mind him, just watch the show and enjoy it.

Its very good.
    Watched it, well worth the time. Drivers had serious terrain to deal with! Don't know how they put up with Baz.
    Thanks for link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

About time though that something like this has been knocked up by RTE if for no other reason than to show the public at home exactly what your DF is up to and why in the likes of Chad, but no mention of previous Irish tours in Kosovo, liberia, Timor or the Leb??..

Definitely agree with this. Was great to see them out on deployment and the DF profile needs to be well raised in this country IMO, this sort of thing could do wonders. There should be more shows done especially on the oversees missions.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    it was all staged..

Have to admit though there was definitely an element of this to it. Particularly the tense stand-off type thing with the convoy and the pickup truck of heavily armed possible rebels etc. So dangerous they managed to get a film crew out to record the whole thing.

Don't know how they put up with Baz.

He comes across as a bit of a bell end, but I was talking to some of the lads involved in the MMA show, and this Chad show, and apparently he's dead on and good ol' craic with the lads.

He comes across as a bit of a bell end, but I was talking to some of the lads involved in the MMA show, and this Chad show, and apparently he's dead on and good ol' craic with the lads.
    He does deserve credit for making the effort so I shouldn't slag him. Very few programs were ever made about the DF and I think thats amiss of our media. The work shown is worthwhile, great for soldiers themselves and reflects well on the country.I'd like to see the odd programme - it does seem like they're getting made a bit more often. It would be good to see an occassional historical ( like that recent one about Jadotville..) and then some modern stuff on the lines of Baz's effort. Might be good to see a doc series from recruitment to overseas service?

Get Ross Kemp on the job. Is there an Irish equivalent to Kemp?

Graham Norton :p

That'd keep those towels wrapped tightly;) You know, if there was a lad who had served and with a bit of a journalistic twist about him, would be a great pitch to RTE for a multi part documentry...

I'd expect some of the royalties from the ensuing hardback book sales of course for the idea. Remember folks...you heard it here first.:cool:

Graham Norton :p

OHHHHH! Look at all those big guns!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

well they did it for the naval service so why not the army???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Mary Harney??? even though she would need about twenty minutes to Shave and three hours to wash!:)

don't think the Guys would need to worry about keeping their towels tight with her,the Women might though!:pac::pac::pac:

Thanks OP for the link and agree with all who say that RTE should do more to highlight the excellant work of Irish troops over the years as peacekeepers{easy to forget how small a nation We are sometimes}

have to agree that Baz was a pain as the presenter.{even if apparently the lads liked him}

The only man for this kind of thing is Cathal'O'Shannon,brilliant historian and TV presenter but way to old now to travel.
    When My Father died i inherited his collection of Audio/Video recordings,amongst them was a serie's called 'Even the Olives are bleeding',it was all about Irelands involvement in the Spanish civil war.The tapes ended up destroyed:(

Does anybody have a link or know of a way i could get to watch this serie's again?

Thanks in advance.

ynotdu wrote: »
    When My Father died i inherited his collection of Audio/Video recordings,amongst them was a serie's called 'Even the Olives are bleeding',it was all about Irelands involvement in the Spanish civil war.The tapes ended up destroyed:(

Does anybody have a link or know of a way i could get to watch this serie's again?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried these lads?.

Might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just seen it, it was interesting in the sense there is feck all really about the armed forces but the problem was that Baz doesn't have the journalistic abilties to have made the programme compelling enough and the whole work experience element of it lacked any depth other than him moaning. Comparing it to Ross Kemp in Afghanistan and a show on History about the Canadian Army, the Irish Army (although really just basing it on that press officer Captain and the Sgt from Cork, seemed really, really strict.) For Ross Kemp the officers involved seemed a lot more relaxed and easy going while that Cpt O'Connor guy seemed really aggresive at times, which I guess is fair enough as they had to look out for Baz at all times. Would have been interesting to get more interviews with the privates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Some people just don't appretiate what the DF go through. Typical.

prinz wrote: »
    Have to admit though there was definitely an element of this to it. Particularly the tense stand-off type thing with the convoy and the pickup truck of heavily armed possible rebels etc. So dangerous they managed to get a film crew out to record the whole thing.

Because film crews and reporters are never in a war torn part of the world, they are never in danger zones, right??? :rolleyes:

Because film crews and reporters are never in a war torn part of the world, they are never in danger zones, right??? :rolleyes:

When you spend 99% of the show telling Baz & crew to keep out of the way and to keep his head down because of the danger, seemed a bit odd that the one time there is a 'tense situation' the crew is out to film the whole thing from the POV of the 'rebels'.. well to me anyway. Just seemed a bit cheesy tbh, but again that has nothing to do with the DF, more the editing and voiceover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

My brother said the exact same. All that bull**** where they turn off the lights and hide in the dark, he said when they were out there they had bonfires and everything.

And all this poo at the start about not recording while getting off the plane, Holy lord!... Cringe TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

prinz wrote: »
    When you spend 99% of the show telling Baz & crew to keep out of the way and to keep his head down because of the danger, seemed a bit odd that the one time there is a 'tense situation' the crew is out to film the whole thing from the POV of the 'rebels'.. well to me anyway. Just seemed a bit cheesy tbh, but again that has nothing to do with the DF, more the editing and voiceover.

Think is it possible that they filmed from the POV of the rebels close to the camp (as it was not 150 meters as reported from one of the lads), after they left, with the DF lads close by? It dramatises it, but the show is supposed to be entertaining, not boring.

They were in the back of the mowag when the "stand to" was ordered.
    00Blaine00 wrote: »
    My brother said the exact same. All that bull**** where they turn off the lights and hide in the dark, he said when they were out there they had bonfires and everything.

And all this poo at the start about not recording while getting off the plane, Holy lord!... Cringe TV!

Been there? They weren't hiding in the dark, they have the kite site and there was a hand held night vision optics too. Who had the bonfires? The patrol or the rebels?

Why is there such hatred towards this show? It could have focused more on the lads and went through some of the daily routines people wouldn't know about. It was good overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I enjoyed it. Thanks for the link

Why are people making a big song and dance over it. Its not ross kemp in Afghanistan where looking at. It was short and sweet and to the point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

By the way, who is Baz and where did he spring out of? i am sure ross kemp was an influence and if they are trying to replicate him they fail msierably. the show is too short and just does not cover enough.
    if he was a interviewer worth his salt he would have secretly filmed the airport. a lot of people must have wondered what the Chad folk did not want filmed.

we learnt nothing about the living conditions, free time activities if any or routines of the soldiers.

Think is it possible that they filmed from the POV of the rebels close to the camp (as it was not 150 meters as reported from one of the lads), after they left, with the DF lads close by? It dramatises it, but the show is supposed to be entertaining, not boring.
    They were in the back of the mowag when the "stand to" was ordered..

I take it you are talking about the incident during the camp at night. I was referring to the incident where the convoy was on the move during daylight hours and passed a pick-up truck which was stationary on the road, and then drove off as the convoy passed. The camera position was not more than 15-20 yards from the pickup truck full of heabily armed rebels, as they filmed the approaching convoy coming up the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Yes very intelligent... film an airport against the rules of the ruling government of a dangerous foreign country in which our troops are guests...

As an aside... they should have sent in a proper jounalistic correspondent and could have given the show the whole "embedded with the troops" feel it deserves, frankly it smacked of transition year work placement filming, nevertheless I did enjoy it if only because the DF were on de telly :D

• Advertisement

The airport is used by the military, thats why there was no recording allowed.

The same thing happened with me landing in Tel Aviv (Israel) and in Beirut (Lebanon).

Been there? They weren't hiding in the dark, they have the kite site and there was a hand held night vision optics too. Who had the bonfires? The patrol or the rebels?

Why is there such hatred towards this show? It could have focused more on the lads and went through some of the daily routines people wouldn't know about. It was good overall.

Yes, he was there actually. The best part of the show was absolute cheese, ask pretty much anybody who's currently in the army for 10+ years and they'll tell you the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Fairly boring tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

There was probably a goat running around the place and the lads made a big deal about it.
    First of I have the utmost respect for anyone that has been overseas and the sacrifice's they make, Just in case ye think im ignorant.

There was probably a goat running around the place and the lads made a big deal about it.
    First of I have the utmost respect for anyone that has been overseas and the sacrifice's they make, Just in case ye think im ignorant.

Yeah same, not tryin to be ignorant. It is six months in the desert with 40/50 degree heat after all. A lot of people probably wouldn't hack it.

But most parts of the show were a bit over exaggerated to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Bit cringe Worthy with your man 'Baz', but otherwise nice to get an insight to the deployment.

Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement