Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You could always get that cpu on adverts for about 75euro and get a decent graphics card like a 4850 or gts250 with the other 75. If your short on cash might as well try second hand. Not sure if theres any available now but they pop up quiet often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Probably need a new PSU as well, again adverts your man if you are trying to keep the costs down

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

deceit wrote: »
    You could always get that cpu on adverts for about 75euro and get a decent graphics card like a 4850 or gts250 with the other 75. If your short on cash might as well try second hand. Not sure if theres any available now but they pop up quiet often.
    €75?! Seriously?!! Alright, I'll check that out. Thanks!
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Probably need a new PSU as well, again adverts your man if you are trying to keep the costs down
    This is the full upgrade I'm going for:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz
    eVGA GeForce GTS 250 1GB (Heard that this was good for gaming)

What wattage would I need for those two?

Thanks for the replies, btw!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

350W+ if you've got a fairly basic (i.e. fewer than 20 fans and half a dozen HDDs! :p) system.

If you went with a HD57x0 you could get it on a 300W PSU

What are the specs of your existing 300W PSU? If it has a decent 12V rail you might get away with keeping it :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    350W+ if you've got a fairly basic (i.e. fewer than 20 fans and half a dozen HDDs! :p) system.

If you went with a HD57x0 you could get it on a 300W PSU

What are the specs of your existing 300W PSU? If it has a decent 12V rail you might get away with keeping it :)
    Well, I have 1 HDD, the PSU fan, the CPU fan and 1 fan that's cooling the inside of the case. That seems pretty basic, lmao!

Anyway, I've attached a pic of the PSU specs because I honestly couldn't tell you if it's worth keeping. Hopefully it is, but I rather get a new PSU to be on the safe side...don't want the thing to blow up in the middle of a game, lol!

Thanks for the reply, btw.

• Advertisement

You could easily get away with it, although it'd be more comfortable with a HD5750 or even HD5770 rather than a GTS250 - the E8400 and the HD57*0s are a lot more frugal than you'd expect under heavy (non-torture) load. PSU seems like your usual decent-quality OEM jobbie you get with Dells, HPs, Fujitsus and some other larger OEMs who don't want the hassle of having to replace borked cheapie PSUs all the time ;)

You could easily get away with it, although it'd be more comfortable with a HD5750 or even HD5770 rather than a GTS250 - the E8400 and the HD57*0s are a lot more frugal than you'd expect under heavy (non-torture) load. PSU seems like your usual decent-quality OEM jobbie you get with Dells, HPs, Fujitsus and some other larger OEMs who don't want the hassle of having to replace borked cheapie PSUs all the time ;)
    Ah, so the PSU's decent? That's good to hear!

Can you recommend a HD5750 or HD5770? I've did a search and there's tons of different ones.

Would those cards be any good for gaming, though?

Hell yes :D The HD5750 is about the same performance as the old GTS250 but only needs a fraction of the juice. Its happiest at resolutions under Full HD (1080p -1920*1080) though, especially for demanding titles like Metro and Crysis.

The HD5770 is slightly more powerful. More importantly, it has enough raw power to keep the more demanding titles running well at 1080p so long as you get a 1GB version. If you're not gaming at 1080p or only playing less demanding titles you should just get the cheapest HD5750 you can though :)

• Advertisement

:eek: Just going to buy one now for the sake of having one in my htpc so can use my other steam a/c on it :D. Thanks

Hell yes :D The HD5750 is about the same performance as the old GTS250 but only needs a fraction of the juice. Its happiest at resolutions under Full HD (1080p -1920*1080) though, especially for demanding titles like Metro and Crysis.

The HD5770 is slightly more powerful. More importantly, it has enough raw power to keep the more demanding titles running well at 1080p so long as you get a 1GB version. If you're not gaming at 1080p or only playing less demanding titles you should just get the cheapest HD5750 you can though :)
    Looking at the links in deceit's post, I've noticed that it says that the recommended PSU for the cards is 450w Should I get a 600w or 700w PSU for that or could they actually run with a 300w PSU?

Also, what settings would you say I'd be able to play games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and Fallout 3 at? Would I be able to play them at full resolution (I have a widescreen monitor. 1600x900 is it's highest res)?

BTW, thanks for the links to dabs.ie, deceit! Their PSUs are mad cheap! :)

Those "mad cheap" PSUs in Dabs aren't even worthy of the name "PSU" :mad: The reason companies give mad-high PSU recommendations is to insulate themselves against fools trying to use one of those PSUs :o

Suffice to say that your current 300W PSU, which dishes out 228W on the 12V rail, actually delivers more power (as everything and its dog relies on 12V current nowadays) than many cheap sub-500W PSUs and even some very cheap and nasty 600-700W PSUs :eek:

In truth, a loaded stock-speed system based around a E8400 and HD5750 could use ~160W on a bad day, with atrociously bad-binned parts. In practice, most 45nm C2Ds use ~35W when running at full clip, and even 1GB HD5750s usually use 60-65W running full-clip in Crysis Warhead, which is closer to FurMark than a game (Perestroika could make it go higher, but as its a LinPack-level death test running it for too long would melt most GPUs anyway! :o) So your system would most likely use roughly 120W of 12V power while gaming, which is comfortably close to the 50% mark for your current PSUs 12V rail capacity :)

I know those values sound incredibly low, but I have a similar rig with more fans, an inferior 45nm C2D OCd up to 3.33GHz and a HD4830 (which is a fair bit hungrier than a HD5750) also OCd. My PSU has a built-in DVM monitoring suite and the highest reading I've ever pulled under heavy gaming conditions is 150W. Your rig would be more powerful than mine and less power-hungry, so go figure. And while you think on that please consider exactly how these figures translate into the manufacturer's "we recommend a 450W PSU for this card" bit - it means there must be some godawful PSUs out there on the market. Probably sold by Dabs :pac:

As for the HD5750? It should be fine with that sub-1080p resolution, pretty much its preferred hunting ground actually :D

Those "mad cheap" PSUs in Dabs aren't even worthy of the name "PSU" :mad: The reason companies give mad-high PSU recommendations is to insulate themselves against fools trying to use one of those PSUs :o

Suffice to say that your current 300W PSU, which dishes out 228W on the 12V rail, actually delivers more power (as everything and its dog relies on 12V current nowadays) than many cheap sub-500W PSUs and even some very cheap and nasty 600-700W PSUs :eek:

In truth, a loaded stock-speed system based around a E8400 and HD5750 could use ~160W on a bad day, with atrociously bad-binned parts. In practice, most 45nm C2Ds use ~35W when running at full clip, and even 1GB HD5750s usually use 60-65W running full-clip in Crysis Warhead, which is closer to FurMark than a game (Perestroika could make it go higher, but as its a LinPack-level death test running it for too long would melt most GPUs anyway! :o) So your system would most likely use roughly 120W of 12V power while gaming, which is comfortably close to the 50% mark for your current PSUs 12V rail capacity :)

I know those values sound incredibly low, but I have a similar rig with more fans, an inferior 45nm C2D OCd up to 3.33GHz and a HD4830 (which is a fair bit hungrier than a HD5750) also OCd. My PSU has a built-in DVM monitoring suite and the highest reading I've ever pulled under heavy gaming conditions is 150W. Your rig would be more powerful than mine and less power-hungry, so go figure. And while you think on that please consider exactly how these figures translate into the manufacturer's "we recommend a 450W PSU for this card" bit - it means there must be some godawful PSUs out there on the market. Probably sold by Dabs :pac:

As for the HD5750? It should be fine with that sub-1080p resolution, pretty much its preferred hunting ground actually :D

I agree with solitaire, dont touch them psu's. Your psu should handle both cards, can see here what the max the 5770 needs with a power hungry core i7 overclocked with all energy saving features turned off, watercooling and cathodes drawing from the psu also. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11

Also check out xbit's HD57*0 articles, just remember Perestroika/OCCT tests are not equivalent to any normal gaming usage! :o

Look at how the GTS250 uses twice as much juice as the HD5750 1GB :D

Okay, I'm going to go with the HD5750, then. If the €100 card is still on dabs.ie next week, I'll get that and then pick up the CPU a few weeks after.

Thanks very much for all the help and info, guys!

The €100 one is on Pixmania :p

The €100 one is on Pixmania :p
    Oh yeah! Must've been thinking of Dabs when I typed that, lmao!

Thanks again, lol!

Sorry for double posting, but I have another question:

Will the HD 5750 allow me to play games, full screen, on a 32-inch widescreen HD TV?

I just noticed that the card doesn't have VGA input (Which is what I need to use my monitor), but a HDMI socket instead. My monitor doesn't have a HDMI socket, so I'm going to try it out on my TV and I already have a HDMI cable that I use for my PS3, so I'm sorted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ger101 wrote: »
    I just noticed that the card doesn't have VGA input (Which is what I need to use my monitor), but a HDMI socket instead. My monitor doesn't have a HDMI socket, so I'm going to try it out on my TV and I already have a HDMI cable that I use for my PS3, so I'm sorted there.

There are such things as DVI to VGA converters.....
    They are sometimes included with the card.

No reason that you cannot use your VGA monitor wth the card.

Example http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/XFX-DVI-A-to-VGA-Adaptor-%28DVI-A-Male-to-15-female%29

• Advertisement

uberpixie wrote: »
    There are such things as DVI to VGA converters.....
    They are sometimes included with the card.

No reason that you cannot use your VGA monitor wth the card.
    Oh, I didn't know that. If one doesn't come with the card, then I'll just go out and buy one.

Thanks for that, uberpixie!

There it is including a vga adapter for only 2euro more
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5998983/art/pixmania/radeon-hd-5750-1-gb-gddr.html

deceit wrote: »
    There it is including a vga adapter for only 2euro more
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5998983/art/pixmania/radeon-hd-5750-1-gb-gddr.html
    Oh, great! Thanks, man!

Sorry for double posting again, but can anyone recommend a site other than Pixmania? I'm having a crappy time with them at the moment - Cancelled order and they say they can't refund because no money was taken out of my account yet €127 (The cost of the order) was taken.

They're an utter joke, imo.

Why did you cancel the order in the first place? And it probably takes a few days to process the refund or whatever...

Why did you cancel the order in the first place?
    I found out I could opt out of that Zen Engagement thing and by that time, I had already placed the order.
    And it probably takes a few days to process the refund or whatever...
    Yeah, it does, but having gotten this...

Given that the amount due for your order has not yet been debited, no refund will be made by us.

...in an e-mail from them a little while after cancelling the order, it's a bit worrying as they already took the money.

I've gotten a couple of other e-mails from them: one of them said that I'd be refunded...

We would like to confirm to you that a refund request has been made for the amount of 127.93 € in relation to your order CCL119525912.
    You will receive an email confirmation shortly, once this request has been validated by the accounts department.

...and the 5 others are like this:

We would like to confirm to you that a refund request has been made for the amount of 0 € in relation to your order CCL119525912. You will receive an email confirmation shortly, once this request has been validated by the accounts department.

I also think it's a bit odd that they have no contact info. Not even an e-mail. I sent a message through the customer service thing on the site, but I don't think I'll be getting a reply any time soon.

No way am I going to use them after this. I can't believe I have to go through all this crap just for a refund. It ridiculous. Also, the fact that they put that Zen Engagement crap on your order without telling you (Or showing you how to remove it) is beyond stupid.

Yeah, they stopped doing that for a long time, they've only started with that **** again recently :( But its still worth the hassle if you're saving €40-odd never mind on just one component! Just gotta persevere... :o

If it makes you feel any better, I learned from hard experience that Dabs is worse :eek:

Yeah, they stopped doing that for a long time, they've only started with that **** again recently :( But its still worth the hassle if you're saving €40-odd never mind on just one component! Just gotta persevere... :o
    I'm not going to take any chances, though. God knows what they'd do if something were to get lost in the post or damaged.
    If it makes you feel any better, I learned from hard experience that Dabs is worse :eek:
    Christ, I was going to use them once (Or if) I get a refund! Thanks for the heads up!

Back again...with yet another question.

Just got my money back from Pixmania and bought the CPU from Komplett. Just have to wait for it now.

Anyway, I was looking at this...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/10_GRPCARD/04_PCI-E/productdetails/10022835/Asus_Radeon_HD5750_1024MB_PCI_E_VGA_DVI_HDMI/90_C1CNU0_L0UAY0BZ/default.aspx

...and was wondering if it's any good? I might get it if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

ger101 wrote: »
    Back again...with yet another question.

Just got my money back from Pixmania and bought the CPU from Komplett. Just have to wait for it now.

Anyway, I was looking at this...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/10_GRPCARD/04_PCI-E/productdetails/10022835/Asus_Radeon_HD5750_1024MB_PCI_E_VGA_DVI_HDMI/90_C1CNU0_L0UAY0BZ/default.aspx

...and was wondering if it's any good? I might get it if it is.

If ye can afford it, go for the 5770 instead.

Advertisement