Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

ger101 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, guys. The CPU is in, although I had to take it to PC World because I couldn't get the heatsink on - that might seem stupid, but even they were having trouble with it, lol! It had these crappy plastic things on it instead of screws.

Anyway, I'm in need of one last thing: A power supply. I have the HD 5770 and I need a new PSU because the one I have now won't cut it - for gaming, at least.

I saw this...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/01_PSU/productdetails/10020274/CoolerMaster_Silent_Pro_M500_Power_supply_%28/RS500_AMBAD3_EU/default.aspx

...on Komplett and am wondering if that'll be enough? It's 500w. Also, is there a way to measure the size PSU without taking it out of the case? I don't want to pay €76 for something that won't be able to fit in the case.

Dude, the measurements for the PSU are on the page on Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Dude, the measurements for the PSU are on the page on Komplett.
    Yeah I know, but I'm talking about measuring my PSU so I can see if it's the same size as the Komplett one.

Yeah I know, but I'm talking about measuring my PSU so I can see if it's the same size as that other one.

Ruler? Tape Measure?

Ruler? Tape Measure?
    Ah, okay. I'll try it with a measuring tape since I don't have a ruler...it'll be awkward as hell, though...

EDIT: Okay, that PSU will fit. My one and the Komplett one are the same size.

BTW, I was playing Half-Life 1 a while ago and I noticed that the CPU fan was really loud. Is that normal? I don't think the Celeron's fan was that loud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ah, okay. I'll try it with a measuring tape since I don't have a ruler...it'll be awkward as hell, though...

EDIT: Okay, that PSU will fit. My one and the Komplett one are the same size.

BTW, I was playing Half-Life 1 a while ago and I noticed that the CPU fan was really loud. Is that normal? I don't think the Celeron's fan was that loud.

Could be just a loud stock fan, you got the E8400 didn't you? Not sure if it has a noisy rep or not. The stock fan for my 965 BE was unbelieveably loud so I had to replace it with a third party cooler (under instruction from the boss :)).

However more seriously it could also be that the heatsink is not on right, and the CPU is getting very hot. The system would detect this and instruct the fan to spin faster. I would download Speccy or something like that and monitor your temps for a while just in case.

I wouldn't have though playing HL would be cause it undue stress TBH.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Could be just a loud stock fan, you got the E8400 didn't you? Not sure if it has a noisy rep or not. The stock fan for my 965 BE was unbelieveably loud so I had to replace it with a third party cooler (under instruction from the boss :)).

However more seriously it could also be that the heatsink is not on right, and the CPU is getting very hot. The system would detect this and instruct the fan to spin faster. I would download Speccy or something like that and monitor your temps for a while just in case.

I wouldn't have though playing HL would be cause it undue stress TBH.
    Yeah, I have an E8400.

I've already took out the heatsink and re-installed it and my idling temps have gone down from 55/60°C to 40/45°C.

I've attached two pics. One is of RealTemp, the other is of Speccy and you can see that temp gets to 99°C when I play Half-Life (Or any other game).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

That's too hot. I doubt if you have thermal paste applied properly.

72.4 is the max per Intel

That's too hot. I doubt if you have thermal paste applied properly.

72.4 is the max per Intel
    Went back to PC World today and was talking to the guy that installed the CPU. He said that he put enough thermal paste on it and made sure that the fan was mounted properly.

He also said to send Komplett (That's who I got the CPU from) an e-mail, see what they say about it. It could be that the processor or fan is faulty or it could be my PSU and integrated GPU that's making it get so hot. I'll send them an e-mail in a few mins.

BTW, do you mean that 72.4 is the temp that I should be getting while playing a game?

Went back to PC World today and was talking to the guy that installed the CPU. He said that he put enough thermal paste on it and made sure that the fan was mounted properly.

He also said to send Komplett (That's who I got the CPU from) an e-mail, see what they say about it. It could be that the processor or fan is faulty or it could be my PSU and integrated GPU that's making it get so hot. I'll send them an e-mail in a few mins.

BTW, do you mean that 72.4 is the temp that I should be getting while playing a game?

72.4 is the temp where the computer has a fail-safe shutdown.

Oh. Well, it didn't shut down at all and there was no stuttering or BSOD or anything like that - in fact, when I tested Half-Life 2, it ran very, very smooth!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Where did you hear that? :confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? :confused:

Hmm? I know my laptop shut down when the CPU reached it's maximum thermal design, I just assumed it was standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

He fobbed you off. If he installed it he should have check the temps. If they were too high he should have uninstalled it or if he was any good sold you a bunch of stuff to reduce the temps. But he couldn't be bothered. So the question then is, was he bothered to put the past on properly?

With respect. This is simple stuff and if you can't do it, you would have been better just buying a better machine than upgrading something not worth upgrading. It makes no sense what you are doing. Did you work out the cost of these upgrades vs buying a new machine or used one?

Is there decent airflow in your case.? Whats the temps of the motherboard, and cpu at idle and full load. What are the recommended temps for that cpu?

Hmm? I know my laptop shut down when it reached it's thermal design, I just assumed it was standard.

You mean the CPU not the laptop.

It varies between systems/CPU's People should be aware what the max is.

BostonB wrote: »
    You mean the CPU not the laptop.

It varies between systems/CPU's People should be aware what the max is.

No, the entire laptop shut down.

I give up...

Just got back from PC World again. Asked the guy if he could check out the fan and CPU. He did and he put a bit of thermal paste on, then re-installed the fan and made sure it wasn't loose or anything.

Now I'm idling at 38/41°C and when in a game it's 50/55°C.

Congrats :) Shows you not to trust PC World in the first place though :)

Congrats :) Shows you not to trust PC World in the first place though :)
    Yeah. Going to read up on how to install parts and stuff. I'd rather do it myself than pay €50 for someone to screw it up.

Then again...all this (probably) wouldn't have happened if Intel didn't make such crappy fans! Those push-pin things are ridiculous. Why didn't they just use screws or something?

Yeah. Going to read up on how to install parts and stuff. I'd rather do it myself than pay €50 for someone to screw it up.

Then again...all this (probably) wouldn't have happened if Intel didn't make such crappy fans! Those push-pin things are ridiculous. Why didn't they just use screws or something?

On a few higher-end coolers (like the Coolermaster V8 i have) they use screws for both AMD and Intel IIRC (it's been a month or so since I put this together and I'm already starting to forget about parts of it rolleyes.gif)

• Advertisement

On a few higher-end coolers (like the Coolermaster V8 i have) they use screws for both AMD and Intel IIRC (it's been a month or so since I put this together and I'm already starting to forget about parts of it rolleyes.gif)
    BTW, would installing the HD5770 and the 500w PSU make the CPU temp go down a bit?

EDIT: I feel like I'm repeating myself...

Anyway, I'm going to get a 3rd party cooler in a couple of months. Just want to get the GPU and PSU sorted first.

They wouldn't affect it positively, if at all.

Ah, okay. So as long as the CPU stays at the temp it's at now, that should be good, right? For gaming, I mean.

Yep, that should be good, no need for an aftermarket cooler unless you are OC'ing or need something quiet (or both!)

Yep, that should be good, no need for an aftermarket cooler unless you are OC'ing or need something quiet (or both!)
    Won't be overclocking at all, so that's good to know!

Speaking of something quiet, the CPU's fan hasn't hasn't gotten noisy at all. It's very quiet. It only got loud because the CPU was at such a high temp, yeah?

Just got back from PC World again. Asked the guy if he could check out the fan and CPU. He did and he put a bit of thermal paste on, then re-installed the fan and made sure it wasn't loose or anything.

Now I'm idling at 38/41°C and when in a game it's 50/55°C.

How did he explain the difference between the last time he did it and this time? Voodoo? He didn't do it right.

They work fine on the few million or so CPU's they ship with at least at stock speeds. The push pins are cheaper and meant to be fool proof I expect. I found them a bit fussy compared to the old clips. Though with a lot of pressure you can shear the socket with the clips. So that wasn't idea either.

BTW, would installing the HD5770 and the 500w PSU make the CPU temp go down a bit?

EDIT: I feel like I'm repeating myself...

Anyway, I'm going to get a 3rd party cooler in a couple of months. Just want to get the GPU and PSU sorted first.

That will depend if they output more heat (yes)

Do they improve the airflow (unknown)

So its unlikely to go down.

How did he explain the difference between the last time he did it and this time? Voodoo? He didn't do it right.
    I know he didn't. Which is why I told him to check it again, reapply some paste and make sure the fan is on properly.
    They work fine on the few million or so CPU's they ship with at least at stock speeds. The push pins are cheaper and meant to be fool proof I expect. I found them a bit fussy compared to the old clips. Though with a lot of pressure you can shear the socket with the clips. So that wasn't idea either.
    The fan is working fine now. It was probably just the thermal paste.

I was reading about those fans and some people have managed to wrap their motherboards by putting too much pressure on the pins.

• Advertisement

I...I was reading about those fans and some people have managed to wrap their motherboards by putting too much pressure on the pins.

In fairness. Some people would be dangerous with a crayon. If your using force on a computer then your obvously doing it wrong. That siad when I replaced the fan on my CPU one of the push pins needed a lot of encouraging before it came free.

Advertisement