Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sometimes force is made neccessary because of those effing push-pins. To paraphrase - Intel: You're Doing It Wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Was playing a bit of Half-Life 2 this morning and noticed that the CPUs temp went up to 65°C-70°C. Is that normal or is the thing still overheating?

EDIT: It still idles at 38°C-40°C, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

With the cack stock cooler, it sounds about right.

With the cack stock cooler, it sounds about right.
    Ah, okay. That's a relief.

IIRC RealTemp, Speccy and Speedfan (for starters!) all have accuracy problems with Penryn CPUs. Try CoreTemp and see if it throws up lower load figures ;)

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    IIRC RealTemp, Speccy and Speedfan (for starters!) all have accuracy problems with Penryn CPUs. Try CoreTemp and see if it throws up lower load figures ;)
    Okay, I installed Core Temp. Screen-capped two pics: one is when I was idling and the other is just after I pressed the Windows key to go back to the desktop while playing Half-Life 2 for a couple of minutes.

I've attached them just in case you'd want a look at them.

EDIT: Speccy, RealTemp and Speedfan all give the same temps as CoreTemp....while idling, anyway. I'll give Half-Life 2 another try.

EDIT 2: Temps from Speedfan, RealRemp and Speccy are all in the 70s when playing the game.

Something's going horribly wrong in there... CPU isn't even fully loaded and those temps are off the charts :eek:

I'd say do yourself a favour and grab an aftermarket cooler quick before something dies in there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looking on the web seems like a lot of people have problems with temps on those chips.

Something's going horribly wrong in there... CPU isn't even fully loaded and those temps are off the charts :eek:

I'd say do yourself a favour and grab an aftermarket cooler quick before something dies in there :o
    Can you recommend a good cooler, Solitaire?
    BostonB wrote: »
    Looking on the web seems like a lot of people have problems with temps on those chips.
    Yeah, I've seen that, too. They're also saying something like Intel never released the temps for the E8400, so people have to guess the max temp when using Speccy, RealTemp, etc.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, are the idle temps okay for doing stuff like browsing the 'net or should I go out and get a new cooler as soon as I can?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm going to run S&M 1.9.1 and see how hot it runs my Phenom II X6 - I'kk get back to you.

So far it's 6 minutes into the test and it seems to have leveled off between 38-40C [edit: even dropping back to 34c]. If you're getting the temps that you're getting, something is very wrong.

Did you apply the thermal paste yourself or was it pre-applied on the cooler?

• Advertisement

ger101 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, guys. The CPU is in, although I had to take it to PC World because I couldn't get the heatsink on - that might seem stupid, but even they were having trouble with it, lol! It had these crappy plastic things on it instead of screws.
    I wasnt familiar with your thread so i was having a read back: This stands out like a nude whore at a funeral.

Exactly what happened with your stock cooler? How many times did you try to attach it and over how long a period? I know when I installed my own cooler the paste began to bond almost immediately so if I had made attempts to reseat the heatsink things may have gotten ugly.

Overheal wrote: »
    I wasnt familiar with your thread so i was having a read back: This stands out like a nude whore at a funeral.

Exactly what happened with your stock cooler? How many times did you try to attach it and over how long a period? I know when I installed my own cooler the paste began to bond almost immediately so if I had made attempts to reseat the heatsink things may have gotten ugly.
    I didn't attach it at all.

It was like this:

Tuesday: Got CPU and installed it but couldn't get the cooler on. Decided to bring it to PC World and have them check it. Was told to come back tomorrow.

Wednesday: Got a call from them saying that it was all installed but they hadn't tested it yet. I'll be getting it back on Thrusday.

Thursday: Guy says everything's done and it's fine. Go home to find that the CPU is overheating. By then it's too late to bring the PC back.

Friday: Go to PC World in the morning. Guy tells me that everything should be fine. He doesn't know what's causing the thing to heat up. Tells me to send an e-mail to Komplett and ask them for advice. Go home and send a quick e-mail to Komplett. Get a reply saying that the guy probably put too much or too little thermal paste on. VenomIreland says the same thing. For some reason, CPU temps get to 80°C-85°C while idle. Take PC back to PC World. Tell the guy to check the cooler and thermal paste. He removes the cooler and thermal paste and spreads some fresh paste all over the CPU (Zigzag pattern from top to bottom and then used a thin card to spread it around - I watched him do it). Puts CPU back in, puts the cooler on and makes sure it's on properly. Go home and try out PC, temps are 39°C-40°C idle and 50°C-60°C when playing a game.

...and that's basically it.

EDIT: The stock cooler should work properly, right? I mean, Intel wouldn't have bundled the thing with the CPU if it was this crap...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Out of curiosity what kind of temperatures does your bios report? Does it roughly agree with 38-40?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what kind of temperatures does your bios report? Does it roughly agree with 38-40?
    I don't know. I was looking at it today and all it has is the name of the CPU, no temps or anything.

EDIT: According to Belarc Advisor, my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. 5.02 08/19/2009, if that's of any use.

EDIT 2: Everest Ultimate Edition shows the temps for Core 1 as 41°C and Core 2 as 39°C while idle. Going to check out a game now.

EDIT 3: Core 1 is 70°C and Core 2 is 65°C while playing Half-Life 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ger101 wrote: »
    I don't know. I was looking at it today and all it has is the name of the CPU, no temps or anything.

EDIT: According to Belarc Advisor, my BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. 5.02 08/19/2009, if that's of any use.

EDIT 2: Everest Ultimate Edition shows the temps for Core 1 as 41°C and Core 2 as 39°C while idle. Going to check out a game now.

Any menu option named hardware monitor or something like that? Looking at a few AMI screenshots (have an award bios myself so can't check exactly) it could have it own tab or be under Power -> Hardware monitor or something like that.

Not too bad, IIRC temp limits for C2Ds are something like 74 degrees for the IHS and 100 degrees for the cores before things start to melt (well, they'll throttle the multiplier instead actually but you see what I'm getting at :p)

Any menu option named hardware monitor or something like that? Looking at a few AMI screenshots (have an award bios myself so can't check exactly) it could have it own tab or be under Power -> Hardware monitor or something like that.
    Just had a good look and there's nothing like that at all.

There's a thingy called 'Service Password' on it, but I don't know what the password is and what it does.
    Not too bad, IIRC temp limits for C2Ds are something like 74 degrees for the IHS and 100 degrees for the cores before things start to melt (well, they'll throttle the multiplier instead actually but you see what I'm getting at )
    Who are you replying to? Me? If so, then didn't you just say that there's something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get some artic silver and put the paste on yourself. Something like a baby wipe cleans off the old paste a treat. Any bets that PC World didn't it wrong twice.

The stock cooler should be fine if its fitted right, and the rest of the PC isn't a heat trap. If the case itself has no airflow, theres nothing the CPU cooler can do about that. Do the temps drop if you leave the side of the case off?

Get some artic silver and put the paste on yourself. Something like a baby wipe cleans off the old paste a treat. Any bets that PC World didn't it wrong twice.
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. The guy practically smeared it all over the CPU and I've read that you're not supposed to do it like that. I'll get some on Wednesday, put a little bit on and see how that goes.
    The stock cooler should be fine if its fitted right, and the rest of the PC isn't a heat trap. If the case itself has no airflow, theres nothing the CPU cooler can do about that. Do the temps drop if you leave the side of the case off?
    It seems to be fitted right, it doesn't move at all.

There's a big fan at the back of the PC and one in the PSU, so those two plus the CPU fan are the only fans in the case. The case is, I assume, a standard size case? There's tons of holes in it, too.

Yeah, I'll open the side and see if that does anything.

EDIT: Sitting here with the side off and, according to Everest, Core 1 keeps changing from 39°C to 40°C and Core 2 stays at 37°C. I'll try a game now.

EDIT 2: Still idle and Core 1 is staying at 39°C and Core 2 is staying at 36°C.

EDIT 3: Core 1 was 85°C and Core 2 was 77°C while playing Half-Life 2.

I guess it's nothing got to do with my case, then?

EDIT 4: Speccy, Core Temp, RealTemp and Speedfan say the exact same thing as Everest.

EDIT 5: Okay, I checked out the fan just as I was about to put the side panel back on. I gently pushed one of the pins in and it clicked. Turned on the PC, checked out Everest and now Core 1 stays at 35°C and Core 2 is staying at 33°C while idle.

Am I getting normal temps now? I'm going to try out Half-Life 2 again.

EDIT 6: Temps while playing Half-Life 2 are: Core 1 58°C and Core 2 51°C. I've attached the pic, too.

So the CPU fan wasn't connected?

Hmm, if you're getting 55 with the stock cooler at half life 2, and I get (I'm guessing from TMPIN2) 55 at full load unlocked, I'm starting to worry if I should re-apply thermal paste when I get back from Turkey.

• Advertisement

So the CPU fan wasn't connected
    It seems so, yeah.
    Hmm, if you're getting 55 with the stock cooler at half life 2, and I get (I'm guessing from TMPIN2) 55 at full load unlocked, I'm starting to worry if I should re-apply thermal paste when I get back from Turkey.
    That sentence flew right over my head, man. What's TMPIN2 and should I be worried?

EDIT: BTW, do different games give different temps or are they all the same?

EDIT 2: I just want to get confirmation now: The temps I'm getting right now are normal, aren't they?

Much better now certainly in what I would consider a more normal range . Unconnected CPU fan, another triumph for PC world tech department.

I remember a thread a few months ago in the C&T fotum where they were about to throw away a guys broken external HDD, untill he made them double check. Turned out that only the case was broken and the drive was absolutely fine. :rolleyes:

Much better now certainly in what I would consider a more normal range . Unconnected CPU fan, another triumph for PC world tech department.
    Ah, that's good! I'm not going to try out any more games until I have my graphics card and power supply installed. Hopefully the temps will stay the same once they're installed.

LOL, I guess this is one of the perks of being a PC owner, eh?

I remember a thread a few months ago in the C&T fotum where they were about to throw away a guys broken external HDD, untill he made them double check. Turned out that only the case was broken and the drive was absolutely fine. :rolleyes:
    Christ, he was lucky!

*walks out of room*

STUPID ****ING PC WORLD MORONS WHO CAN'T EVEN MANAGE THE MOST ****ING ELEMENTARY TASKS WITHOUT SCREWING UP AS USUAL!!!!!!!
    :mad:

*walks back into room*

*ahem*

Amazing really - the one thing no-one would ever ask on here because its literally unthinkable that someone would be so stupid as to leave the CPU fan disconnected! Well done PC World, it appears we have once again grossly overestimated your basic PC skills! :rolleyes::pac:ugone2far.gif

*walks out of room*

:mad:

*walks back into room*

*ahem*

Amazing really - the one thing no-one would ever ask on here because its literally unthinkable that someone would be so stupid as to leave the CPU fan disconnected! Well done PC World, it appears we have once again grossly overestimated your basic PC skills! :rolleyes::pac:ugone2far.gif
    Well that's the first and last time I'm using them for upgrading. Having said that, people do make mistakes...although the guy really should've checked the thing properly before giving it back.

Have been looking at stuff on installing graphics cards and PSUs, though. It seems easy enough, imo, and it'll save the retarded €100 they're charging for installing them!

thats asinine.

I really would like to know what temps you get now though with it turned on.

Overheal wrote: »
    thats asinine.

I really would like to know what temps you get now though with it turned on.
    Who are you replying to? Me?

EDIT 5: Okay, I checked out the fan just as I was about to put the side panel back on. I gently pushed one of the pins in and it clicked. Turned on the PC, checked out Everest and now Core 1 stays at 35°C and Core 2 is staying at 33°C while idle.

Am I getting normal temps now? I'm going to try out Half-Life 2 again.

EDIT 6: Temps while playing Half-Life 2 are: Core 1 58°C and Core 2 51°C. I've attached the pic, too.
    that seems much more reasonable yes.

My Phenom under load peaks at 41C but its also in an Antec Nine Hundred Case. You seem to be running normal now.

Hey that reminds me again, my unlocked Phenom II X4 B50 runs at 55C on load (guessing from TMPIN2, it was closest to actual core temo when locked), is that good considering it draws 178 watts of power?

Sorry to sidejack the thread, I'm just curious.

• Advertisement

Oh I'd say so. Under heavy load I think Tomshardware gauged the X6 at nearly 230 Watts o_O

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613-13.html

Advertisement