Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

it draws 178 watts of power

You sure about that? How are you measuring that? :confused:
    Overheal wrote: »
    Oh I'd say so. Under heavy load I think Tomshardware gauged the X6 at nearly 230 Watts o_O

Toms is full of dung anyway, but I'm fairly sure that bench was showing total system power draw, not CPU... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Solitaire wrote: »
    You sure about that? How are you measuring that? :confused:

I'm not measuring it, just quoting what HWMonitor displays :P

HWMonitor doesn't do wattage... not unless you can hook it up to a DVM anyway :o Screenshot or GTFO please :p (I'm curious now! :D)

What's your PSU anyway? A select few do have embedded DVMs for power monitoring...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Alright, I'm back...and I have great news, lol!

I've finished upgrading! PSU and GPU are installed (I put them in myself!). The PC has been on for over an hour and everything is fine...and I can play Crysis with high settings!

Downloaded the demo to test the card and I was literally in awe when the game itself came on (That intro is way too long).

Going to check out a couple of more games and see what they're like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Which card did you get in the end and at what price? 5770 ?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Which card did you get in the end and at what price? 5770 ?
    Yup, a 5770. It was €245 because I got it in PC World. Had no choice since whenever I found it online, it would be sold out.

EDIT: Checked out S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and I can play it at max res and max settings (With AA off, lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ger101 wrote: »
    Yup, a 5770. It was €245 because I got it in PC World. Had no choice since whenever I found it online, it would be sold out.

EDIT: Checked out S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and I can play it at max res and max settings (With AA off, lol).

Ouch you paid around 100 over the odds

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Ouch you paid around 100 over the odds
    Yeah, I know. It was well worth it, though!

Seems like the 5750 would be better value for 100. I'm thinking of myself.

I saw the 5770 going for €145/€155 online. Check around, you'd probably have better luck getting it then I did.

PC World is insanely expensive, btw. Hence the price of the 5770 I bought.

• Advertisement

ger101 wrote: »
    I saw the 5770 going for €145/€155 online. Check around, you'd probably have better luck getting it then I did.

PC World is insanely expensive, btw. Hence the price of the 5770 I bought.

€129 on pixmania

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4129647/art/pixmania/radeon-hd-5770-1-gb-gddr5.html

the 512mb version is €114

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

got open box vapor-x 5770 for $129 US ;)

Overheal wrote: »
    got open box vapor-x 5770 for $129 US ;)

Quit your gloating, you have a whole thread dedicated to it! :pac:

@Soli

Won't have access to my PC until 2 weeks on Monday, on holidays :)

Anyway, try the latest version of HWMonitor, it shows some form of voltage :)

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Quit your gloating, you have a whole thread dedicated to it! :pac:
    KirbyDance.gif

Anyway, try the latest version of HWMonitor, it shows some form of voltage :)

Voltage, yes. But you also need an accurate measure of that rail's current to calculate the actual power consumption in Watts, WDC = VDC x I ;)

Watts, WDC = VDC x I ;)

/Shudders/ Thats bringing back some unwanted memories

Voltage, yes. But you also need an accurate measure of that rail's current to calculate the actual power consumption in Watts, WDC = VDC x I ;)

Curse my hands, I meant wattage not voltage :P

When I get back I think I'll have to download and install HWMonitor and test its accuracy against a hardware DVM - the DVM array inside my ODIN PSU ;):cool: Because I've seen a lot of people saying HWMonitor gives them CPU wattages well over their TDPs and I'm wondering if HWMonitor is just coughing up total BS on this front... :rolleyes:

Hmm... I need to try HWMonitor on another comp, one that doesn't have an Odin inside, because it seems to be able to read my Odin :eek:

But even then the voltages HWM reports are all miles too high, it claims my 5V rail is nearly 6V and all 12V rails are near 13V. The DVM inside the Odin begs to differ... guess I'll have to break out my old DVM and measure it to finally be sure :o Those inflated readings do seem to be inflating the wattage readings, but again I don't know which is the more accurate; HWM or the Odin. Personally I'd be more tempted to side with the Odin as its as close to an internal hardware DVM as you'll get in a PC :o

• Advertisement

Got another heat problem, lads. This time I think either the graphics card is heating up the power supply or the power supply is heating up the graphics card.

Temps are fine when idling/browsing but the case/PSU heats up a little bit when playing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis.

Can anyone recommend a larger case that has better cooling and stuff? I've attached a pic of my case so you can see the inside - please excuse the crappy cable managment, lol!

Get some artic silver and put the paste on yourself. Something like a baby wipe cleans off the old paste a treat. Any bets that PC World didn't it wrong twice.

The stock cooler should be fine if its fitted right, and the rest of the PC isn't a heat trap. If the case itself has no airflow, theres nothing the CPU cooler can do about that. Do the temps drop if you leave the side of the case off?

Thought this might be an issue.

I ended up with one of these, and its a pretty nice case. Great airflow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsw9wMikp_8

The Scout looks like an excellent case.

If you don't want to drop €70+ on a Scout grab a NZXT Gamma and a couple of cheap 120mm fans to flesh it out a bit. Cheapest decent ATX case with cable routing ;)

Advertisement