Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing Occupational Therapy?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi All,

Done one year of Psychology with OU and want to apply to TCD to do Occupational Therapy. Trying to boost the application and want to study with OU again this year while waiting. Wondered what type of courses would benefit my CV? Any ideas? Rubix:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm not studying OT but shared Anatomy class with them this year.

They study Anatomy, Applied Anatomy, Biology in 1st year, and Physiology in 2nd year so maybe if there is an Anatomy and Physiology course you could do through OU?

I know of one of the mature students had done some type of holistic course before with acupuncture. He had done anatomy and physiology a part of that course.

I would suggest getting lots of volunteer work to help with your application.

Try contacting the head of the department at TCD and ask for advice on strengthening your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

I'm not in OT either, I know a couple of people who are studying it and am interested in studying it myself.
    The psychology should stand to you, Developmental Psychology in particular (or Human Growth and Development) is relevant to OT.
    I agree with Larianne about Anatomy and Physiology - you will definitely need a knowledge of this. Especially if you have not studied Biology in the past.
    I too know a mature student who had done Holistic Massage and she found it added to her application. So that's an option too.
    Again, I agree that you can never have too much life or work experience. Experience of caring or working with people with disabilities or special needs would really boost your application. You can't beat hands on experience. Imo this experience is every bit as important as studying relevant courses. So, if you don't have much experience get yourself out there and volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

This is great info folks. Had taken a look at the course content but couldn't make up my mind which way to go. The Holistic Massage option is a very interesting one, which I would never thought of, must investigate. In terms of volunteer work, I thought of shadowing different types of OTs in order to get a feel for what they do, But thats not really volunteering. Should I be looking at Enable Ireland or St. Michaels House?

Thanx again, anything else you think of let me know.:D

Rubix wrote: »
    This is great info folks. Had taken a look at the course content but couldn't make up my mind which way to go. The Holistic Massage option is a very interesting one, which I would never thought of, must investigate. In terms of volunteer work, I thought of shadowing different types of OTs in order to get a feel for what they do, But thats not really volunteering. Should I be looking at Enable Ireland or St. Michaels House?

Thanx again, anything else you think of let me know.:D

I would suggest shadowing OTs and volunteering. The more exposure to what OTs do, the better you will be in an interview.

Enable Ireland or St.Michaels House are both great organisations to volunteer for. Even doing something like Meals On Wheels would be good.

This website maybe of some help: http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/page.php?id=144#dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rubix

Larianne wrote: »
    I would suggest shadowing OTs and volunteering. The more exposure to what OTs do, the better you will be in an interview.

Enable Ireland or St.Michaels House are both great organisations to volunteer for. Even doing something like Meals On Wheels would be good.

This website maybe of some help: http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/page.php?id=144#dublin

Thanx Larianne, your a 'font of knowledge' - I'm on the case!! If cooking meals and delivering to your ageing parents and in-laws was counted as volunteering, I'd be a 'shoo-in' for sure. Rubix :D

• Advertisement

Rubix wrote: »
    Thanx Larianne, your a 'font of knowledge' - I'm on the case!! If cooking meals and delivering to your ageing parents and in-laws was counted as volunteering, I'd be a 'shoo-in' for sure. Rubix :D

:D

I would say try and get shadow experience and volunteering work in the different areas that OTs work in. So out in the community, in nursing homes, in hospitals, etc.

Also, go to the Open Day at TCD and annoy the people there for information. I think they have a separate evening for mature student applicants later on in the year. Keep a look out on the TCD website.

Advertisement