Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Speed Test Checker

• 28-06-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I recently got UPC 15 Mbs. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a ISP Speed test site?... I always used IrishSpeedTest.com which was showing that I was usually getting between 4 and 8mbps connected through my cable.

I called up and said this to UPC they send an Engineer around and he tested using Speedtest.net and pointing to a Dublin server and said it was actually 14 Mbs which is expected. I'd like 2 or 3 more sites if possible to verify this as I don't feel I'm getting my full whack here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can only test speed with local sites as otherwise at 15Mbps the Interent can be a bottle neck.

Download a Linux ISO from heanet.ie
    something like ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/20100627/maverick-desktop-amd64.iso

your actual Internet speed is about 8 to 10 more as the file is BYTEs, not bits (8 bits per byte, but there are overheads in file transfer).

many sites don't go faster than 3Mbps, 5Mbps, 8Mbps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

speedtest.upc.ie is UPC's own speedtest website.

Advertisement