Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music as a Subject Outside of School; Advice Needed

• 28-06-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Evening,

I'm going into 6th year this September and I'm doing music as a subject outside of school. Since about 2003 I've been getting weekly music theory lessons and instrumental lessons during school months. I sat a Grade V Music Theory Exam with A.B.R.S.M. a few weeks ago (pretty sure i passed), a few weeks before that I passed a Grade VI Orchestral Percussion Exam with the Royal Irish Academy of Music (92% :D) and I passed Grade V Drumkit with Trinity Guildhall last year (merit i think). I got a B in Junior Certificate Music after only being in the class for about a year.

Anyway, I haven't done anything about Leaving Certificate Music yet: I haven't gotten any books or attended/applied for out-of-school classes. I have decided to do music practical as my higher elective and to do music technology as part of my practical*. Without sounding cocky, I think I've covered enough music theory and practical to do Music in the Leaving outside of school: the only things I haven't really covered are the set works/studied pieces or history.

What would you recommend? Should I apply for a course? If so, what course? Which books should I get? What should I know about the marking scheme/syllabus?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated,

Thank you,
    - Gerard B

*I'm not sure about the exact terminology for Leaving Cert Music, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

You sound fairly sorted made. Isn't it grade 5 level that the composing/practical levels are at anyways? Myself and the rest of my class started at level 1 music in 5th year, skipped 3rd and 4th too, and most of us got by.

I'd recommend buying the less stress more success book for sure. That was pretty much our bible in music class :p: You should definitely make yourself familiar with both papers and obviously be attempting composing and listening papers, and you can use the marking schemes online at examinations.ie to see how you're doing :)

You've got a school or center to do your practical at, I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

You've got a school or center to do your practical at, I presume?

not entirely sure what you mean, I'll be doing my practical exam in school, I have my own drum kit to practice on and I know how to use sibelius

EDIT: and yes, the theory itself and practical are Grade V; the pieces I'll play will be at least Grade VI anyway so I'm happy bout that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

GerardB wrote: »
    not entirely sure what you mean, I'll be doing my practical exam in school, I have my own drum kit to practice on and I know how to use sibelius

EDIT: and yes, the theory itself and practical are Grade V; the pieces I'll play will be at least Grade VI anyway so I'm happy bout that :)

Ah yes, sorry! It sounds like you're well prepared. Again, I'd recommend picking up the less stress book for your study :) Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

www.darablack.com

Don't know her per se, but she gave AMAZING advice on the run up to the music exam, and her notes seem to be brilliant...worth thinking about?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

www.darablack.com

Don't know her per se, but she gave AMAZING advice on the run up to the music exam, and her notes seem to be brilliant...worth thinking about?! :)

thanks, looks very promising.

have you used her courses/notes?

what do you think of them?

Advertisement