Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem - VOIP phone ports

• 28-06-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Anybody know why there are two phone ports on the back of the modem that UPC provide? Does it mean that you can have essentially two lines with one number and that if I connected two separate phones that I would be able to make two calls at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends on how UPC program it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 obonner

watty wrote: »
    It depends on how UPC program it.

So how do they program it? Can I request that feature? Is it automatically like that? Any experience with using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Posts moved from old and unrelated thread.

More details needed. What's the modem? Have you got the VOIP service? Have you tried two phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's for a second line as far as I know (from reading the documentation that came with mine when it was delivered last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 obonner

I don't have the service yet and am trying to figure out how it will work. Essentially what I am trying to do is to install a small exchange to manage the phone system
    (Agfeo AS281 All-in-one, see here: http://agfeo.de/agfeo_web/hp3.nsf/539d4430a248f667c125680e00314e5f/1728d67c1fa6dc1dc125715b00458a1d!OpenDocument)

Basically, this will allow me to transfer calls internally and a few other features. The exchange has the capacity to connect to two analogue lines and if the two lines on the modem were two lines with the same number then I could make and receive two calls at the same time.

I presume the modem will be the one that everybody has - the Cisco 2425 - but I haven't heard anything about the second port on the forums. I work from home and having more than one connection to the world (without needing a second line) would be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, it's possible TECHNICALLY, for you to receive two calls on one number, or even make a call on the other port even if you can only receive one call, or even to make two calls.

All or only one is possible. As well as having two numbers. It totally depends on how UPC provision (Program) the Modem's ATA ports. It's nothing to to do with the hardware or even what UPC has done before. ALL the cable modems with dual ATA (phone ports) are very flexible. UPC may do all customers identically or have various profiles the can apply.

It's totally up to UPC. Explain to someone what you want. Possibly by default only one call at a time/ only one port working, but ANY combination of the above *might* be what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have their phone service using one of the phone ports on the back of my modem and it works okay most of the time, but i have had a few problems with dropped calls and the line not being available from time to time in the evenings and it's definitely not as reliable as my old POTS line from BT and you can pretty much guarantee if the broadband goes down so will the phoneline(s) so if it's something that relies on high availability i wouldn't got for it with UPC unless you're desperate.

that said, i've been a way for a couple of weeks and UPC said they were going to fix my ongoing (pretty much since I've had it, 2 years this november) intermittent phone problems whilst I was away and touch wood, it's been fine this last couple of weeks but i'm not holding my breath as they've said that more than once before now. :)

Advertisement