Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LINE ATTENUATION HELP

• 28-06-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

is a line attenuation of 26/12 dB good? Could someone tell me too about the numbers on either side, do u want both of them low or the left one low and the right one high? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Left and right is meaningless. Upstream and Downstream are what you need to know. Assuming 26dB is your downstream attenuation, that's pretty decent.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Attenuation should be as low a number as possible, SNR should be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Thank you for the reply,

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8160 800
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 26.00 12.50
    CRC Errors 0 1,
    do you know if this all looks right?

Your sync speed is 8160 (that's 8Mbps to you and me) so I guess this is eircom NGB? That's exactly what speed you'd like to get. Your SNR is 14.5dB, which is reasonable. 6dB or below would be trouble. Attenuation is 26dB, which is again fine.

On the eircom modems, the left number is downstream and right is upstream (normally). The ones on the left are usually more critical, since that determines your download speed.

Everything looks good, so are you experiencing problems, or is it not what you thought it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Its a magnet 8mb bitstream connection, no ngb where im from. Its been alright, i play gears on line alot, that relies heavily on connection and im tryin to make sure its as good as i can get. I recently moved and in my old place it was 14/9 dB, which i know now was really good. I suppose theres no real way of reducin it? or is it all down to distance from trhe exchange?

Reducing it won't help, even if you could (which realistically you can't). You're getting the highest possible speed already, you can't get better than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement