Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browne's steakhouse

Options
  • 28-06-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Any one try this new resturant in Blanch village?
    Are the prices a bit dear for a diner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

There were a few posts about the place back in this thread a while ago.

It's a good place, but it fills up really quickly some night, and it is quite a bit expensive for what you get. Maybe good for the very occasional night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

The missus brought me two or three weeks ago. Top notch steak. Her chicken was good as well.

If you;re looking to ring them up by the way, they're still listed as Trentuno's. Dunno why they listing hasn't been amended yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 max power 18

Went there last week
    Food is great as is service.
    Wine Half price so the bill was pretty reasonable.
    Would certainly reccomemd it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

We went there with family a few weeks back and had a lovely meal. For the quality of food, the price wasn't overly expensive, but it's not cheap. I'd say it would be a great place to take a date or small party.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Think that its a very nice restaurant, very friendly staff, very good service and a great menu.
    Finally a steakhouse that is able to provide top quality Irish steak and cooked properly too. Good steak doesn't come cheap so you should expect to pay for it - unless you want to get cheap south american beef...
    Would definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Two thumbs up for this place in terms of quality of food and the staff are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

We had a lunch with our baby a few weeks back, I have to say the staff were super friendly and great with our boy. Really enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere and the food was excellent too. Looking forward to trying an evening dinner there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Anyone have the phone number for this place ? Can't find it in the Golden pages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i got a card and on it is

and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

have been twice to this restaurant and I must say that I found it excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

We have been once, a few weeks back, i think a tuesday night or whatever night its half price wine. Food was excellent and steak cooked to perfectoin, waitness was very attentive but not overbearing.

we will be back again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just goes to show how experiences can differ. I ate here last week and the food was very poor. Starter was appalling, took two mouthfuls and handed back with the majority on the plate. Waitress never asked was there anything wrong. Main course was overcooked. I hope my experience was the exception and that they continue to be succesful, becuase it is nice to see businesses do well, but i would be very slow to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Was there today for a birthday dinner.

Really pleased with the whole restaurant, my food was lovely. The mother got a plate of ribs which she found too fatty (we told her that's what you get with ribs) and she mentioned it to the manager when asked us was everything all right.

To our surprise when we got the bill the ribs weren't on it and the manager apologised about them. Amazing service and we will definitely be back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Was there last night with my wife, and we left very under-impressed with the experience.
    Menu wasn't the most interesting in the world, but I kinda knew I'd be ordering steak anyway, so what the hell. None of the starters appealed to me as the majority had fish or shellfish in them. (NEVER eat anything that has less than 2 legs or more than 4!)
    I thought the steaks were quite expensive to start with so was a bit surprised when I had to pay extra for side plates. My wife ordered a burger, and I got the 12oz fillet. The steak was very tasty, and cooked nicely but nothing extraordinary, and the same applied for burger.
    Desserts were just OK, nothing to write home about.
    The staff were quietly efficient, so much so we hardly noticed them, and that's good I think.
    Overall, it was adequate but not great. I cant see myself going back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How much were the steaks and the side as a matter of interest Gaspode?

IIRC Fxbs in Ryans of Parkgate st charge aprox €20-25-30 for their steaks which includes chips/potatoes etc (I could be completely wrong on this!!!) Open to correction!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Think it was €23 for the steak, €3 extra for a bowl of chips. Not great value IMHO.
    I've had far far better meals in other restaurants for that price .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in Brownes for the second time last night, and I have to say I'd be happy to keep going back there. I'd have to disagree with you on the starters there Gaspode, I had a look and of 12 different choices, only 5 were fishy. I'm not a huge fan of starters, but there was plenty there to keep everyone happy imo.

I had the sirloin, which was €19, plus whatever extras I wanted for side dishes. Even with two sides which would bring it up to €25, that's pretty much what I'd expect to pay for a steak in any half decent restaurant. As it was the sides were big enough that we shared two between us. What impressed me most though is the fact that they actually know how to cook a medium rare steak properly, unlike a lot of restaurants in this country. Total cost for two starters, two mains, two sides, 1 dessert, 1 glass of wine and a Coke was €63, which is pretty good value imo. I did try to get it for nothing though, as apparently I'm a dead ringer for the boss, so much so that two different staff members came over to tell me that. No joy I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think the prices are really reasonable. They have a lunch special from 12 (I think) to 5 where you get a main course and a drink for €9.95. The list of main courses that you can get is pretty good.

The steak really is cooked very well and is very tasty. I didn't get it myself but I tried some and it was delicious. I had chicken in a mushroom sauce and it was beautiful. The chicken was really tender. It's great to have a nice reasonable restaurant in Blanch.

I'll be a regular customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Well I wont be rushing back ...actually to be honest I would have to say I will never go again.

I dont like to waste money - and could not bring myself to order a steak for 23 euro and then have to pay extra for chips :eek: which is why I only went for the burger as it comes with fries.

I've had much nicer burgers in capt. americas ... and the plate comes dressed and with a decent portion of chips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've had much nicer burgers in capt. americas ... and the plate comes dressed and with a decent portion of chips :)

Oh jesus christ no! It worries me that your food comes out so quick in CA's. It is so fast they must be flipping burgers like McDonalds back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah the burgers are all pre-cooked I presume in CA. The burgers in CA are fine for what they are. Although I got one in the Grafton St. branch last month that was so firm and packed together that I ended up taking the meat out and eating the bacon and cheese in between the bun instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ongar astro park

i was in brownes last night 4 people in total . food from starer to dessert was delicious .steak on a stone was 10 out of 10 for me .nice friendly staff also .would recommend this place highly.. oh tuesday and wednesday staek on a stone only 15 euro great value... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was there tonight in a party of 4. Food was great, staff were very friendly.

Found it hard to find the front door as it's shared with the other restaurant (presumably of the same owners) next door.

It wasn't cheap but I wouldn't say it was more expensive than any decent place in Dublin City.

All in all, I had a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Had a couple of meals here recently - very disappointing. I wouldn't mind if the price was reasonable, but it's very expensive, and the food was terrible mostly. The onion soup was appalling.

I'd advise strongly against going here - another in a long line of ****e restaurants on Blanch Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

duckworth wrote: »
    Had a couple of meals here recently - very disappointing. I wouldn't mind if the price was reasonable, but it's very expensive, and the food was terrible mostly. The onion soup was appalling.

I'd advise strongly against going here - another in a long line of ****e restaurants on Blanch Main St.

Did you make your complaint to the management?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

The last two times I eat there I was very disappointed. The quality of the food was not good by any means and overpriced. The service was not much better.

What really annoyed me was the last time I was there the bottles of Bud were the supermarket bottles. 300ml and not to be sold separately stamped on them but they were still charging the same for them.

I did complain and was told that is all we have for sale and we can’t give a discount off them and there is no one here that can. I left my contact details and I was never contacted.

If that is how they want to treat customers they won’t be getting my custom again. I was part of four local couples that night and none of them have been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Brownes have definitely gone down hill over the last year.Im not sure if its changed management or whats the story,but somethings changed. The last meal i got there was a burger and was only half cooked (middle was raw). The "cosy" atmosphere they used to have is gone. The tapas bar is too echoey and cold also if its owned by the same mgt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

What is the tapas bar like, only noticed it there last week, don't be in the village that much any more.
    As fare as I know they are all part of the Trentunos/Castello Bruno/Brassaire15 Group, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The tapas bar early bird is very good value and food is lovely,its just the actual place itself isnt "cosy". I like a relaxed & warm atmosphere when eating and this doesnt have it. Couldnt fault the food(i got the cold tapas menu) ..although ive only eaten there once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Used to go to brownes quite regularly but haven't been back since they jacked up the prices. Can't justify paying the prices for what is essentially glorified diner food.

Advertisement