Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista chkdsk has screwed up my PC

• 28-06-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I've a Pentium 4 PC running Vista. It recently requested to do an automatic chkdsk on startup. I postponed doing it a few times but let it run yesterday. It took over an hour, and then restarted, and then went into what I believe is referred to as a restart loop. The green scrolling bar appears as normal on startup for a few seconds but then keeps trying to restart over and over again. I've tried starting in safe mode but no luck.
    I tried to boot it from the Vista disk I got with the PC, selecting the 'repair' option. I tried a few options starting with 'repair startup' but nothing seems to work. Its telling me it can't detect any drives.
    I can only assume either chkdsk has done brain surgery with a machete and has removed some essential files that are needed for normal operation. Either that or its got a virus. It won't allow me to restore the system to an earlier version.
    Does anybody know what I could do? I have a blank drive and was considering installing it as the primary drive and installing Vista on it. then making the faulty drive a slave so I can remove the important stuff I've got saved on it. My only worry is that I know Microsoft only allow one copy of Vista per machine, so if I try to reinstall it onto a new drive will they think I'm installing it on a second machine shut it down (like they did when I tried to install the same copy onto my laptop :p). I'm desperate to get this working again as I need it for work.
    Any help would be much appreciated. I'm no IT expert so I'd appreciate answers in plain English.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭namit

Looks like your in a bit of a hole, by doing a repair you might have (and most likely have) deleted all your files. What your looking for is a data recovery company to repair the disk and see if they can find any data. If you want to also an option is just to take out disk out of computer and put into another computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This has saved me on more than a few occasions. And I'm only suggesting it since you mentioned the restart loop there.

http://saveme.danfischbach.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daithisean

Thanks for that. I've gone ahead and reinstalled windows on a blank drive and fitted it to my machine so at least I've got a working PC. I'll connect up the other drive as a slave and possibly use that program to try and recover something off it, then format it and start again.

Microsofts helpdesk was a bit vague about reinstalling windows. It seemed to say I could but I still have the feeling that as soon as I need to update it will tell me its installed on more than one machine and stop it from working. has anybody got any thoughts on this?

Advertisement