Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGI Friday's Blanchardstown Service Charge

Options
  • 28-06-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

TGI Fridays charge a service charge of 5% on all bills.

When I asked the waiter did he get it, he said no. He said "it goes to pay the kitchen staff". He then said that they don't even get it directly, that it goes to the company.

On my way out I asked the girl who was seating people. She said that it doesn't go to the the wait staff that it goes to the company.

I am pretty disgusted to hear this. I presumed that it was going to the person who served you. Basically TGI's use this "service charge" to pay the wages of the kitchen staff.

Left a bad taste in my mouth. I've made a decision to boycott TGI's.

What does everyone else think? Am I over reacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's common enough practice really. i refuse to pay these "optional" service charges unless it's mandatory and mentioned on the menu.

as for boycotting ... well that's up to you but i doubt they'll care too much unless you can rally some massive support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Random wrote: »
    it's common enough practice really. i refuse to pay these "optional" service charges unless it's mandatory and mentioned on the menu.

as for boycotting ... well that's up to you but i doubt they'll care too much unless you can rally some massive support.

I have come across service charges like this before but I never bothered to find out where the money goes to as I presumed it went to the wait staff. I am just so cross to hear that it is used to pay peoples wages.

I just don't think this is right. TGI's should just pay their staff their wages.

Random wrote: »

This is my first port of call to rally support! ;)

Want to join me in my boycott???!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i already avoid the place as much as possible because i think it's sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The "service" charge doesn't go to the "server"?? That's bullsh1t!!!

Like if it is for the kitchen staff:
    (a) the company should be paying their wages
    or worse case scenario
    (b) this charge should be called "kitchen staff" charge and at least you know what you really are paying for.

Why are they adding on an automatic "service charge" anyway????

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    The "service" charge doesn't go to the "server"?? That's bullsh1t!!!

Like if it is for the kitchen staff:
    (a) the company should be paying their wages
    or worse case scenario
    (b) this charge should be called "kitchen staff" charge and at least you know what you really are paying for.

Why are they adding on an automatic "service charge" anyway????

Join me on my boycott?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

robbing cnuts anyway im in on the boycott

€16 for a burger WTF

Yeah those serving staff deserve a lot, imagine wearing that uniform all day.

I'l boycott too because I'm broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Shienarier

Isn't there some trickyness with these charges, that since they are optional, they can't be added automatically to the bill unless there are 5+ (or so) people in the group paying together?

I remember reading something about that on a receipt I got at the Japanese place in Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Dont eat there anymore either,the price of the food is stupid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TGI Fridays is completely overrated.:( I have been disappointed with poor food there a number of times.

It's a pale imitation of Captain America's - go thee instead. Great food, and friendly staff who are taken good care of.:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

More a general issue than specific to Blanch so I'm moving this to the Consumer Issues forum.

Moved form D15 forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Make a facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

A lot of places use the "service charge" to pay the waiting staffs wages.
    Apparently Rolys Bistro in Ballsbridge does the same

TGI's have had this charge for the last few years and it is clearly on the menu

As for the food in TGI's, I think that it is actually quite nice and reasonably priced. The Jack Daniels grill stuff is very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Go to the one in Blackrock, it's suffering badly with the resession and there food costs practically nothing (two course decent meal, 15euro starter+main or main+desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Kevin! wrote: »
    Go to the one in Blackrock, it's suffering badly with the resession and there food costs practically nothing (two course decent meal, 15euro starter+main or main+desert.
    That offer is in every TGI's
    However, the one in Blackrock is my fave TGI restaurant.

It is a well known fact that TGI's service charge doesn't go to the witing staff. This was on Liveline about 2 years ago.

robo wrote: »
    That offer is in every TGI's
    However, the one in Blackrock is my fave TGI restaurant.

It is a well known fact that TGI's service charge doesn't go to the witing staff. This was on Liveline about 2 years ago.

oh, I didn't realize I just presumed it was exclusive to blackrock considering it being empty all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So is the service charge optional then? Never really thought about it before.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd join your boycott...problem is I've only been to TGI's three times in my life :)

To be honest, I don't think there is much complaining to be done if you can get a decent meal for 15euro.

Just don't leave a tip at the end of the night if there is service charge on the bill, it's that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just don't leave a tip at the end of the night if there is service charge on the bill, it's that simple.
    Or if you do wish to tip then refuse the service charge (if it is only optional) and tip the waiter.

Seems it has to go to the staff in the US, except kentucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fee
    Restaurants and banquet halls charging service charges in lieu of tips must distribute them to their wait staff in some U.S. states (e.g., Massachusetts, New York, Montana), but in the State of Kentucky may keep them.

Though in Irish law
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/si/0193.html
    EMPLOYMENT REGULATION ORDER (CATERING JOINT LABOUR COMMITTEE), 1996

WORKERS TO WHOM THIS SCHEDULE APPLIES.

1. Workers employed in a catering establishment anywhere throughout the State except *the County Borough of Dublin and the Borough of Dún Laoghaire

Service Charge

7. Service charge, where levied, shall be distributed weekly to waiters, waitresses, counter assistants, barmen and barmaids. A maximum of 20% of the total service charge may be distributed to any other classes covered by this Employment Regulation Order with the agreement of the majority of the staff.

(c) Counter Assistant — A person wholly or mainly engaged in the preparation and/or service of food at a counter and ancillary duties.

(d) Waiter/Waitress — A person who has completed 2 years service† and is wholly or mainly engaged in the service of food at table and ancillary duties.

(e) Barman/Barmaid — A person who has completed 2 years service† and is wholly or mainly engaged in the service of alcoholic drinks and other beverages and ancillary duties.
    Haven't read it fully but it would seem a TGI in the the bourough of dun laoghaire (which is large) is exempt.

Also
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0142.html
    Service Charge — In accordance with the provisions of the National Minimum Wage Act, 2000 service charge, when distributed to employees through the payroll, can form part of the weekly earnings referred to above.

To be honest, I don't think there is much complaining to be done if you can get a decent meal for 15euro.

Well i wouldn't leave a tip if i knew the service charge was going to the wait staff - but it's NOT in TGI's - that's what I am annoyed about.

It basically just a levy on your meal that they then use to pay certain staff.

jahalpin wrote: »
    A lot of places use the "service charge" to pay the waiting staffs wages.
    Apparently Rolys Bistro in Ballsbridge does the same

TGI's have had this charge for the last few years and it is clearly on the menu

As for the food in TGI's, I think that it is actually quite nice and reasonably priced. The Jack Daniels grill stuff is very nice :)

Service Charge of 5% is noted clearly on the menu. That is not my complaint.

I am annoyed that the service charge does not go to the wait staff. The service charge is taken by the company to pay the back kitchen staff. Nowhere on the menu does it say anything about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The issue here for me would be the service charge at all.

It wouldn't matter to me if it was going to the wait staff or the kitchen staff or the cleaner for that matter as they are all protected by the minimum wage.
    In the US wait staff get paid literally half nothing and depend on their tips to supplement their take home pay.

So for TGIs to basically add money on to pay anybody is disgusting. Why don't they just add the price to their already overpriced food?
    Because people will run a mile from the place.

I don't eat there regularly but my niece loves the place, when I tell her this she will more than likely join the boycott!

The issue here for me would be the service charge at all.

It wouldn't matter to me if it was going to the wait staff or the kitchen staff or the cleaner for that matter as they are all protected by the minimum wage.
    In the US wait staff get paid literally half nothing and depend on their tips to supplement their take home pay.

So for TGIs to basically add money on to pay anybody is disgusting. Why don't they just add the price to their already overpriced food?
    Because people will run a mile from the place.

I don't eat there regularly but my niece loves the place, when I tell her this she will more than likely join the boycott!

Nobody is forcing you to eat from the expensive menu, and you cannot complain about value on there promotional one which has been running for several weeks, I challenge you to find many places that offer the same amount/quality of food that TGI do for 15euro.

Restraunt staff in Ireland don't get paid a hell of a lot either, maybe slightly more than America but in America they are heavy tippers (up to 40%) which makes waiting staff better off there.

The chances are, your meal shouldn't cost more than 70e for three people, which eludes to a 3.50euro service charge which isn't massive considering the value of the meal you have just received.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Restraunt staff in Ireland don't get paid a hell of a lot either, maybe slightly more than America but in America they are heavy tippers (up to 40%) which makes waiting staff better off there.

We have a minimum wage. There's lots of other workers also on a minimum wage who don't get tips either.

But the company seem to be trying to keep things tight, if that atrocious cheap ad in cinemas is anything to go by :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

I worked as a waitress in america. i was on 3 dollars an hour but relied heavily on tips. tips were usually 20% of bill. We would easily have tables which bill comes to say 100 dollars.....then thats 20 dollars for waitress if they are tipping twenty percent. I know they do this service-charge-not-going-to-waitress-bullsh*t in Thunder Road cafe as well (so i was told).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Same thing happened to me in Spur in Liffey Valley. I questioned the girl who was serving me about the bill and she said it goes to the company but as an optional charge. I asked her to get a manager to remove it off the bill as she said it goes to pay the staff but not directly to her.

I'd already left a tip but it was only four euro so i just gave her the service charge instead in to her hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

First love the username, nice to know Im not the only one with a great nickname/username! Secondly that is disgracefull I never realised and especially since you are paying for good service. That should be highlighted. Is it not false advertisement or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭XBOX employee

I was recently in Tgi's for a meal with my girlfriend, the meal was fine, waited a while though, but when i asked for the bill it cam to 47 including the service charge fair enough. i paid with a 50 and received no change, sat there for 10 minutes waiting on our change, now ill tip as much as the next person thats fine if they deserve it. BUt ide like to have that option of tipping. The waiter just assumed he could have it! Shocking!

Advertisement