Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents going to Aussie

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi there, question for you. My folks (64&66) are planning a trip to Australia to celebrate retirement. Have family in Western Aussie, so no problems there but they would also like to visit Sydney. Not very experienced solo travellers so I'm looking for advice for safe areas for them to stay, recommendations for hotels would be useful, also as it will be hot November,activities and sites to see during their week long stay. Look forward to any advice, thanks, daconn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suziewoo

Id suggest Balmain, as a good place to stay in Syders. Its a 7-10 minute ferry ride to the city or there are regular buses also. Its a lovely place to walk around with lots of great restaurants and coffee shops. However its not so near the beaches if thats what they are into. I know there are some good self catering apartments, dont know about hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Heres my advice.

Aussie = Australian person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yeah dont send them over here with that term.

Chances are any good hotel in the sydney CBD should do them, best avoid Kings Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Would need to know the budget range but I would recommend near the coast ( plenty of similar aged Irish visitors in the Eastern Suburbs at that time of year - coogee/Bondi etc).Mainly as they would appriciate the coastal breeze and also no point staying on the city if your traveling 12000 k's and have wonderful coast line only 8k away.

From there you are a bus trip to circular Quay (harbour bridge / Opera house) and grab one of the many wonderful ferry trips (ferry as in public transport ferries not the expensive touristy ones). With a few half day trips they can get to see wonderful parts of Sydney via ferry - manly/watsons bay/parramatta (lovely ferry trip) and hop off for a walk/food/bit of exploring and be back by dinner time.
    Thats a few days taken care of.

They also would have the delightful Bondi - coogee coastal walk on their door step (could easily stretch that to a half day by stopping off and enjoying the 6 wonderful beaches along the 6k walk).

Grab a day trip to the blue mountains (heat an issue there if they are not hot weather people).

Thats nearly a week taken care off.

I would avoid staying in the cbd as it shuts early/is noisey/ and has f all to offer imho.

Advertisement