Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating maps on Garmin Nuvi using SD Card

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

Not very tech savvy so just wondering....How does one transfer maps from a SD card to a Garmin Nuvi 255...is it possible??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Did you buy an SD card with the maps on them? If so then you should just be able to put the card into the card slot on the 255 and your ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

No..only have loan of the satnav for the week away...my brother sent me the SD card, think he downloaded the updated map from the net...obviously this is some way garmin have of not allowing downloaded updates.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

A genuine Garmin map, purchased on an SD card, is locked to the SD card itself.
    You can put that card into any GPS, and it will work, but it remains on the card, so you can't copy it to the GPS, and then remove the card.

You can also connect to myGarmin.com, and buy the update, and have it downloaded to an SD card. The SD card must be in your GPS, and the GPS must be connected to the PC. This method means that the map will only work when that exact SD card, is in that exact GPS unit.

There are several, illegal, methods of downloading maps from the internet, and there are illegal SD card versions available on eBay, but unless you're tech savvy with the GPS, you could end up making yourself a fancy looking paper weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

Thanks for the reply.

Safe to say the card belonged to the 3rd of your options above...;)

I finally got the card working - there was a prob with the name of the downloaded file and the GPS didnt recognise it - changed the file name and hey presto...

Advertisement