Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Survey

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After having a wee chat to KnifeWrench, he told me it'd be okay to ask you guys and girls a favour!

I've a survey that needs to be filled in and i'm looking for anyone who is preparing leaving cert or has just finished it - so anyone between 16 and 20 will do!

It will take about 3 minutes to fill in and questions the use of social media and the internet.

I will post the results of the survey on my blog and naturally will leave the results here too!

Hope yous all will have a looksie and complete the study here.

Thanks a mill,
    sNarah

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just posting in thread to confirm that this survey has been cleared by the mods.

Being 21, and after finishing my college degree, I'm not in the bracket to do the survey itself! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Just did it there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just did it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

:)

Just finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Just finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I did it! :) Could we have a bit more info about what it's for though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Thunder10

I'm finished since this time last year but said I'd fill it out anyhow, hope thats ok.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Age discrimination :(
    ......well i dont wanna do your silly survey anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

jumpguy wrote: »
    I did it! :) Could we have a bit more info about what it's for though?

Off course! I wrote a piece about it today (see blog in linkie): I have the feeling that (secondary) schools do either ignore or forbid social media rather than inform student about it - especially considering career options. So I just wanted to get a rough idea of how it is approached and what knowledge is actually shared! I will publish the results as well, I'll update it here too!
    Thunder10 wrote: »
    I'm finished since this time last year but said I'd fill it out anyhow, hope thats ok.:)
    That's grand, thanks.
    Age discrimination :(
    ......well i dont wanna do your silly survey anyway :mad:
    Do you want some tea & biscuits in stead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

A bit too old to do it myself! It's missing Jupli though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Done :) Made a good effort on this one, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Done :)

Thanks all, looking through the first results there, slighty worried about the fact that my predictions were correct :( Really appreciate all of you taking the time and effort!!!

Have it going in a few other places as well, so expect results within 3 to 4 weeks!

Long overdue - results published!
    http://wp.me/pXWOs-5O

A big thanks for all those who contributed and the mods for allowing me to run the survey here!

THE POST:

In June I told you I was going to a conduct survey on how teenagers use social media, especially within the context of how they are educated on the subject and career potential. I have collected to results and will share them with you here. Before I spill the beans, there are a few things I would like to clarify:
    1. This is by no means a scientific study backed up by hard figures and statistics. It is merely a representation of a very small group.
    2. Most answers were gathered on Boards.ie (around 85%), therefore allowing for a greater aptness of internet usage.
    3. These results are open for correction and different interpretations.
    4. The original survey can be found here.
    5. The survey and responses were double checked and analyzed by Ilse Van Dyck, who loves number-crunching and she also supplied the graphs.
    Most popular networks & Daily usage social-media-used2.jpg?w=368&h=211
    Facebook is clearly the most popular social network: all of the respondents know and use Facebook. Facebook is however part of a mix of different networks: the multitude of respondents know (and use) different channels: YouTube (used by 85%), MSN Messenger (76%), BeBo (68%) and MySpace (44%) are the most popular.
    On top of that, almost half of the respondents (49%) checks these sites every day. 29% is online almost every day.
    Education Curriculum
    4 out of 5 has computers available in school, which, in 91% of the cases are solely used for educational purposes.
    education.jpg?w=411&h=243
    The majority (68%) learned to work with Microsoft Office. Only 5 respondents were taught how to email or work with Google. A mere three lucky ones learned about building websites.
    media-policy.jpg?w=358&h=213
    Only one respondent said social networks were used during lessons. The majority was forbidden to use them an 27% were never told about the possibilities of using social networks for future career purposes.
    Career opportunities & Business usage
    83% say they would (probably) use social media to advertise their own company. The majority would use the company’s website (85%) and Facebook (76%) for this purpose.
    twitter-use.jpg?w=567&h=167
    All respondents know Twitter, but only 17% actually uses it. They follow an average of 130 people and have 113 followers themselves.
    Only 7% thinks they would ever get a job by using social media. 41% is not sure, while another 41% thinks it is not possible at all to secure employment through social networking.
    If they were to hire someone themselves, only 29% would use social media to post vacancies. 63% doesn’t see the greater “social media” as a possible future career.
    Privacy
    63% are a little bit worried about privacy issues on the internet. 15% doesn’t really care, while 1 out of 10 is definitely worried. 56% is (a little bit) worried that their future employer might stumble upon embarrassing facts about them online.
    Finally, 85% googled themselves.
    In conclusion – I think it’s fair to say that my presumptions unfortunately turned out to be correct and educational institutions are far behind in offering proper education on how to use the internet for different purposes, which I think should change, sooner than later. In this day and age, where so many people shop, talk, do business and network online, a huge part of teenagers future lives will take place on the internet in one way or another. It is our responsibility to ensure they are capable of accessing the many opportunities that are available for careers in an online environment. It is time for schools to put their feet back on the ground, get in touch with reality and embrace social networks as an educational tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

"Sorry SqueakyDuck you are too old to take this survey"..... But, but, buttt I'm only 22 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Doneage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Críochnaithe

Advertisement