Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better than HTC or iphone4?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭

I am going to upgrade my 3GS next month and will probably go for either of the above. Is there anything better coming out in the near future?

I really like my 3GS atm with all the apps, ipod and browser so this is what I mainly use it for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

samsung galaxy s would probably be in the running there too.. No camera flash, but a very impressive phone none the less. Much better battery life than the desire apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭the goon

Hi, just along the same lines, I am lookin to change phones. Iphone would be perfect but I am just so sick of Apple and there schlick philosophy, I cant bring myself to buy one. Any ideas what would be a good alternative? Would the Galaxy S be a contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im a fan of the milestone because its solid and has a great battery life. plus qwerty pull out keyboard doesnt harm it either:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

the goon wrote: »
    Hi, just along the same lines, I am lookin to change phones. Iphone would be perfect but I am just so sick of Apple and there schlick philosophy, I cant bring myself to buy one. Any ideas what would be a good alternative? Would the Galaxy S be a contender?
    Because its very very good! It is missing a flash tho.. but I'm not a huge photo person so that doesnt really bother me.
    Google some reviews of it and you'll see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

digiman wrote: »
    I really like my 3GS atm with all the apps, ipod and browser so this is what I mainly use it for.

ok have to ask if you are happy with your current phone why change? I don't think that any of the current HTC line up or the iphone 4 have any major advantage of the 3GS unless there is a specific feature of one them that you are looking for?

Truthfully if I had a 3GS (which I was happy with) I would probably wait till nearer christmas to pick something up. Chances are there will be better equiped phones by then that are actually running android 2.2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I went from the 3GS to the Desire and I'm sorry I did to be honest,I'll be switching to the iPhone 4 as soon as.
    I don't think the Desire is as well built as the iPhone and Android 2.1 is no where near as polished as the iPhone os.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

I'm wondering also which way to go. Was on Meteor bill, came off contract to go on cheaper month to month intending to switch to Vodafone to get iPhone, losing an eligibilty to upgrade on Meteor to a Htc. Decided to wait for iPhone 4 as opposed to getting 3gs (which I thought was a logical decision) and now with no sign of the new iPhone and dodgy reviews, I don't know what to do. I'm no Apple fanboy but did like the 3gs, however I'm not in the habit of being shafted either if the iPhone 4's crap (after all they are only phones) but the HTC's seem pricey enough on Vodafone compared to Meteor (presuming they're lower spec, older models).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cork45 wrote: »
    I went from the 3GS to the Desire and I'm sorry I did to be honest,I'll be switching to the iPhone 4 as soon as.
    I don't think the Desire is as well built as the iPhone and Android 2.1 is no where near as polished as the iPhone os.
    Only person i've ever heard complaining of that to be honest. Apple's build quality is pretty good to be fair but I don't know how anyone could argue that HTC have bad build quality. As an OS Android is far far better for the end user than iOS.
    I'm wondering also which way to go. Was on Meteor bill, came off contract to go on cheaper month to month intending to switch to Vodafone to get iPhone, losing an eligibilty to upgrade on Meteor to a Htc. Decided to wait for iPhone 4 as opposed to getting 3gs (which I thought was a logical decision) and now with no sign of the new iPhone and dodgy reviews, I don't know what to do. I'm no Apple fanboy but did like the 3gs, however I'm not in the habit of being shafted either if the iPhone 4's crap (after all they are only phones) but the HTC's seem pricey enough on Vodafone compared to Meteor (presuming they're lower spec, older models).
    They're not. Meteor's HTC phones are the entire range of Android phones that HTC offer with the hero being the low end phone and the Desire being the top end phone. Vodafone don't have anything new.

If you'd like a few pros of the Desire and Android in general...

Highly customisable out of the box
    Sold unlocked on Vodafone/Meteor
    DivX support
    Custom ROMs, Custom Kernels (Allowing you to do customise your phone down to the way its kernel operates)
    720P HD recording with the next update
    Wifi N
    Flash 10.1 Support
    6 physical buttons
    A far more open app market that's growing exponentially
    Handles notifications far far better than the iPhone
    Removable battery and storage
    Open source so if you have the technical know how you can customise the phone exactly to your liking.
    Proper multitasking (Not the rubbish on iOS4)

To top it all off a sim free HTC Desire with a 32GB card costs far far less than an iPhone 4 32GB.

That and you won't be a slave to Apple. What's even more important is that unlike the iPhone you can actually make phone calls without them dropping ;)

Advertisement