Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Boot

• 28-06-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

who do you think will get the golden boot?

Golden Boot? 137 votes

Gonzalo Higuain (ARG)
    0% 0 votes
    David Villa (ESP)
    25% 35 votes
    Landon Donovan (USA)
    31% 43 votes
    Luis Suarez (URY)
    2% 3 votes
    Asamoah Gyan (GAN)
    2% 3 votes
    Thomas Muller (GER)
    0% 0 votes
    Diego Forlan (URY)
    4% 6 votes
    Miroslav Klose (GER)
    2% 4 votes
    Wesley Sneijder (HOL)
    4% 6 votes
    Lionel Messi (ARG)
    5% 7 votes
    Keisuke Honda (JPN)
    0% 0 votes
    Luis Fabiano (BRA)
    0% 1 vote
    Carlos Tevez (ARG)
    17% 24 votes
    Arjen Robben (HOL)
    2% 3 votes
    Elano (BRA)
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

For me its between Higuain, Villa, Fabiano and Suarez but I wouldn't rule Mueller or Klose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Higuain for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I definitely wouldnt rule Fabiano out, if they beat Holland in the quarter the have relatively easy opposition in the semis in Ghana or Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My 3 pics would be Villa, Fabiano and Higuain.

My money is on Villa and Fabiano (literally), have them each way which pays out the top 4 places, so hopefully both will get me something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

It depends on how the Spain and Portugal match goes. If Spain win they go into the quarters, with Villa more than likely scoring 1 or 2 goals. Then Spain face relatively easy opposition (compared to Portugal) in either Japan or Paraguay. Then Spain could face Argentina in the semi's, with 2 games left for both sides.

Whoever gets to the final I think will have a big say who scores more between Villa and Higuain as they would be the forerunners to score in the both the semi and the final itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Luis Fabiano or Higuain for me. Wouldn't rule Villa out either though

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Poll's up guy's, sorry for taking so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/index.html

lol, look at this. Messi is second on the shots at goal chart, 23 shots in total, 3.8 per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Backed Luis Fab before the tournament and I'm sticking with him. Villa worries me deeply though, hopefully Portugal put them out tomnorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Landon Donovan?

Seriously, just step back and take a look, try figure out why that's retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hopefully Fabiano,

backed him before the tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Backed Fabiano, Tevez and Sauarez all e/w before WC begun.

Praying it's Saurez but think Higuain might do it now. He on top form. But still hard say, next round matches will tell lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Between Higuain and Fabiano for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

This poll was put up tonight?? Well Landon Donovan looks a cert so. Say he will bang in a lot more in next few games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Luis Fabiano or Higuain imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ill go for Klose

i reckon he'll have some joy against Argentina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Villa hopefully, have €2 on him to be topscorer and Brazil to win the tournament at 50/1.

Think I'm gonna throw some money on Klose, Fabiano and Higuain tomorrow, though.:P

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

After Van Persie scores a hat-trick against Brazil on Friday then I think it'll be him. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I backed Villa @ 10's and Fabiano @ 12's before the tournament and also the Brazil/Villa @ 66-1 and Brazil/Fabiano @ 33-1 special doubles. Today im gonna back Brazil/Higuain double @ 11-1 with PP as cover.

If I had to pick one it would still be Villa. He looks red-hot and if Spain progress past Portugal tonight they have a relatively easy 1/4 final against Paraguay/Japan. I think the sooner Spain drop Torres the better chance they will have of making the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Before the tournament, I put money on Higuain outright and Forlan each way. I'm still hoping they come off, though Villa and Fabiano are on top form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think the hat-trick against Korea really boosted Higuain's chances. Can't see past him ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Interesting to see lots of people still voting with only 10 teams left.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

higuain IMO
    didnt see that one coming before the WC

Max Power1 wrote: »
    higuain IMO
    didnt see that one coming before the WC

I think the problem was no-one really knew who Diego would start up-front. Based on his qualifying campaign he changed the team in every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Warper wrote: »
    I think the problem was no-one really knew who Diego would start up-front. Based on his qualifying campaign he changed the team in every match.

Exactly, if I knew Gonzalo was going to be the number one choice I'd have lumped on him. However no-one had a clue who would start of Higuain/Milito/Tevez/Aguero/Palermo so it wasn't worth the risk for me. Wish I had now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I went for Higuain before the tournament so I'll stick with that. Villa has todays game in hand on the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Fair play to Vittek for being in the running for so long. Still 4 goals in for games for Slovakia was impressive.

Too hard to call it at this stage but Higuain looks a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Surprisingly low levels of support for Forlan or Suarez. They might have three games left so they stand a great chance. Third place play offs are a great place to add goals and artificially boost goal tallies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The lack of Robinho is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Surprisingly low levels of support for Forlan or Suarez. They might have three games left so they stand a great chance. Third place play offs are a great place to add goals and artificially boost goal tallies.

Good shout actually never took the 3rd place as a factor! Higuain for me though... Vintage poaching striker which is bound to get him more goals in an Argentinian side that struggles not to create chances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wouldn't like to rule out Forlan but he'll need to score a handful of goals against Ghana to have a chance.

I've backed Tevez from the off and could be a decent shout but to be honest I can't really see past Villa or Higuain getting it.

Villa is now favourite, unsurprising considering the draw. Fabiano still has a great chance as do Higuain, Forlan and Suarez so ya im just stating the obvious. Villa really has done well considering he is playing on the left wing and if I had to pick one it would still be him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

That_Guy wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to rule out Forlan but he'll need to score a handful of goals against Ghana to have a chance.

I've backed Tevez from the off and could be a decent shout but to be honest I can't really see past Villa or Higuain getting it.

They are the obvious two and all going to plan one or both of them will be top scorer. But Forlan and Suarez are in with a shout, I think Uruguay should beat Ghana so that would give them opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If any player now can score 2 goals or even hatrick in game from now on will give them a fantatsic chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Will be Villa, he could get a few against Paraguay. Bet hes regretting missing that penalty , he would have been ahead by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who is the leading scorer so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was gonna say Forlan but I wonder if the game on Saturday will give the mangers an excuse to play a few fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who is the leading scorer so far?

Sneijder and villa are tied on 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

only 1 person voted for sneijder? :eek:

how does it work if they stay tied? will bookies pay out on my villa top scorer bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Only one for Sneijder isn't he about joint top scorer. would be a surprise to me if he won it though considering all the top strikers who have been in the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

villa for sure

only 1 person voted for sneijder? :eek:

how does it work if they stay tied? will bookies pay out on my villa top scorer bet?

If its tied between 2, you get half - dead heat rules apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭blobert

What happens with bets if its a tie?

I have backed Villa to be top scorer, if he and Sneijder finish level do I get paid?

Am also concerned that Klose will bang in 2 in the 3rd place final playoff, he'll be the only motivated player in the match (being 2 goals shy of the all time record) and I'd imagine his teammates will be setting him up at every opportunity:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Warper wrote: »
    If its tied between 2, you get half - dead heat rules apply.

thanks, hmm i have spain to win and villa top scorer at 25-1 how's that gonna work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Don't really care as long as Klose gets his 2. Would love for Kuyt to get it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Sneijder has had a ridiculous amount of luck in getting joint top-scorer. He was somehow awarded with a goal against Brazil that was clearly a Felipe Melo own goal and his goal against Uruguay took a wicked deflection off a defender.

Jigga wrote: »
    Sneijder has had a ridiculous amount of luck in getting joint top-scorer. He was somehow awarded with a goal against Brazil that was clearly a Felipe Melo own goal and his goal against Uruguay took a wicked deflection off a defender.

I don't think the touch off melo did much, it looked like it was going in anyway, he deserves to be joint top scorer, he has had a great tournament and season, he could possibly be the first FIFA Ballon d'Or

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

blobert wrote: »
    What happens with bets if its a tie?

I have backed Villa to be top scorer, if he and Sneijder finish level do I get paid?

Am also concerned that Klose will bang in 2 in the 3rd place final playoff, he'll be the only motivated player in the match (being 2 goals shy of the all time record) and I'd imagine his teammates will be setting him up at every opportunity:(

I forgot about the 3rd place play off...Klose could get a few

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I forgot about the 3rd place play off...Klose could get a few

Klose may miss the 3rd place play off because injury

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/07/08/2016156/world-cup-2010-germany-striker-miroslav-klose-could-miss

• Advertisement
Advertisement