Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Boot

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Jigga wrote: »
    Sneijder has had a ridiculous amount of luck in getting joint top-scorer. He was somehow awarded with a goal against Brazil that was clearly a Felipe Melo own goal and his goal against Uruguay took a wicked deflection off a defender.

As has Villa. That goal that went in having hit the post 3 times, that one the keeper didn't hold and he got away at the second chance, the one where the keeper left him an empty net to shoot at.

There's an element of luck to all these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Uruguay striker Diego Forlan earned the Golden Ball as the World Cup's top player in a vote by international media.
    Forlan received 23.4% of the vote, ahead of Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder and Spain striker David Villa, who won the Silver and Bronze Balls, respectively.
    Each player had five goals, as did Germany's Thomas Mueller, who won the Golden Boot as scoring champion because of his three assists, the tiebreaker for that trophy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/2010/07/12/2010-07-12_uruguay_striker_diego_forlan_earns_golden_ball_as_top_player_of_2010_world_cup_i.html#ixzz0tSfFmTKr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Wonder what the odds were before the tournament on Forlan and Muller to win those awards. Muller for top scorer...was there even any odds offered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I voted for Forlan as well as only 2 others, what were the rest of you thinking?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thomas Müller has admitted he never believed he would win the Golden Boot before the World Cup began.
    Germany's 20-year-old forward, who only made his international debut in March, scored five times in South Africa to clinch the award. David Villa, Wesley Sneijder and Diego Forlan also scored five goals, but the Müller's three assists saw him edge out the trio.
    "This is just incredible for a newcomer to the World Cup. If anyone had told me I'd end on eight scorer points, I'd have said they were kidding me," Müller said on Bayern's official website. "It's an honour of course, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have had the World Cup itself."
    Müller's performances in helping Germany reach the semi-finals in South Africa also won him the best young player award.
    "It's a huge honour to be part of a group including the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer, Michael Owen and the most recent winner, Lukas Podolski," added Müller. "For me personally, it's terrific confirmation of the work I've put in over the last year. I'm delighted my great run has continued here, and I've really enjoyed it too. The honour will be with me for all time, and it's a wonderful memento too."

Advertisement