Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

xbox live doing my head in!

• 28-06-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I bought my son membership to xbox live with a wireless adapter for his birthday. The line keeps dropping and signing him out. He is totally frustrated and as a result so am I!

My wireless is from Vodafone and seems to have two connections - one called vodafone_124f and the other one called vodafoneSecure_124F. He thinks the xbox live is switching between the two but if that's the problem I don't know how to fix it.

Also the game glitches a lot especially when others are on the net in the house - which is often! Is there a stronger service available than vodafone which would help that problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

If you have other people using the same internet connection while he's using XBL, then that could be the main reason he keeps getting signed out.

If the other people are just surfing webpages, then it shouldn't effect it too much but if they are downloading files or streaming video from somewhere like youtube, then that will use up your bandwidth and probably interupt the XBL service.

You'd be surprised that gaming through XBL actually uses very little bandwidth (unless you're hosting a game), so any basic connection should be enough to maintain a decent connection.

Also, make sure you haven't got something like a bit torrent/limewire running on any of your PC's or laptops. They tend to use up your upload bandwidth which is required for gaming but you wouldn't notice it effecting your normal web browsing too much.

As for your service provider, please provide more details of what type of service you have from them. Is it through a wireless/mobile type service or through your phoneline which is DSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My parents have vodafone at their house, and since the changeover form BT in January the speeds in evenings are disastrous. 170kb down on a 7mb connection. Last time I was up there using an xbox it would connect and then cut off every 5 minutes.

Speedtest the connection form a pc at speedtest.net and also note the pings. You are looking for a ping below 50 ideally below 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cleanup_aisle6

calex71 wrote: »
    My parents have vodafone at their house, and since the changeover form BT in January the speeds in evenings are disastrous. 170kb down on a 7mb connection. Last time I was up there using an xbox it would connect and then cut off every 5 minutes.

Speedtest the connection form a pc at speedtest.net and also note the pings. You are looking for a ping below 50 ideally below 20.

Your problem is vodafone. Their coverage is just awful. And don't I know all about them, and their terrible 'service'. I'm with Eircom BTW, and never have any problems (yet).

I would suggest switching to a different provider. If at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

My service is DSL landline. I use the vodafone router/modem that came with the vodfone package. It's the 7mb version I pay for.I've never had good coverage in that it will not reach all around the house. I tried a different router but that didn't help and I've tried changing channels and that didn't help. I make sure utorrent is not running when my son is playing but there is always at least one or two people in the house emailing, chatting, watching youtube etc.

Maybe it's time to switch back to eircom. I was with BT and they were no better in terms of household coverage. Do NTL or any of the wireless services have stronger bandwidth?

I did the test. Got a ping of 97 so I guess that's pretty dire?

Download is 6.40 and upload is 0.54

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

imokyrok wrote: »
    I did the test. Got a ping of 97 so I guess that's pretty dire?

Download is 6.40 and upload is 0.54

It's not that bad, speed is actually spot on, certainly not bad enough in terms of pings to explain getting booted from xbox live, at 97 you would be able to play games fine albeit maybe with some lag.

Suspicions turn to the router, if you go to the xbox and into network settings it should have a little gauge somewhere indicating signal strength, Is it in a cupboard or tv stand unit?

It's not that bad, speed is actually spot on, certainly not bad enough in terms of pings to explain getting booted from xbox live, at 97 you would be able to play games fine albeit maybe with some lag.

Suspicions turn to the router, if you go to the xbox and into network settings it should have a little gauge somewhere indicating signal strength, Is it in a cupboard or tv stand unit?

I'm not sure what you mean. The console is connected to a standard TV - not one of the modern flat screen ones. The signal is sent though a little xbox wireless adapter. Sorry for being dense. I know nothing about these games myself and find the configuring instructions that come up on the TV double dutch. My poor son is pretty down hearted about it - he's used to his ma being able to fix everything. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Start up the xbox and go to the "My Xbox" tab and go all the way to the right and you'll see "System Settings" then click "Network Settings" and then "Test xbox live connection" when it's finished doing it's thing you'll see a little icon of 4 bars, how many are light and does it say there's any other problems?

Here's a video of how to get to that menu too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoIikvi5Gk
    Sorry about his taste in music it was all I could find:pac:

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Start up the xbox and go to the "My Xbox" tab and go all the way to the right and you'll see "System Settings" then click "Network Settings" and then "Test xbox live connection" when it's finished doing it's thing you'll see a little icon of 4 bars, how many are light and does it say there's any other problems?

Here's a video of how to get to that menu too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoIikvi5Gk
    Sorry about his taste in music it was all I could find:pac:

It's not working at all the last two days bad and all as it was before. What happens when we Test xbox live connection" is a red X between the xbox 360 symbol and the vodafoneSecure_124F.

At present when we go to configure network and scan for wifi connections it doesn't find them. Yet my laptop is finding the network no problem. The light on the little network adaptor gadget is flashing instead of a steady green. We've tried unplugging it and restarting but no change.

ps the video jams in the middle so I can't get inspiration from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i think the problem is with the vodafone router.

is it the white one that takes the mobile broadband aswell (the one that they have on the ad on the tv at the moment)

my brother in law has the same one and has terrible probelms with the wireless connection on it i had a look at it and couldn't get it working so i put in an old eircon router that i had and it has been working fine ever since

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i think the problem is with the vodafone router.

is it the white one that takes the mobile broadband aswell (the one that they have on the ad on the tv at the moment)

my brother in law has the same one and has terrible probelms with the wireless connection on it i had a look at it and couldn't get it working so i put in an old eircon router that i had and it has been working fine ever since

Its a white bewan router modem combined. Don't know if it takes mobile broadband but since you mention it I think I have the old router and an old modem somewhere in the house. I'll see if I can dig them out and try them.

Advertisement