Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of guidance for a newbie

• 28-06-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi, usually lurk here but just started getting into cycling proper so diving into posting - commuted to work for the first time today (55km round trip, did it in under 2.5 hrs without too much difficulty) on my new road(ish) bike (2nd hand Giant FCR3 - 150 quid, what a steal!!).. think i've been bitten with the bug, loved it! (Used to be knackered some days cycling 5km to college on my old BSO MTB, which seems bizarre)

Pretty overweight so I'd like to get a HRM/calorie counting type thing to track my progress, along with a cyclocomputer that will tell me my speed, distance travelled etc

Because the pedals are quite close to the front cog and I have big calves, I find myself ending up with oil all over the inside of my leg, bit annoying - is there anything I can do about this? Guy in LBS suggested getting 'bmx-style' pedals which would be larger... thoughts?

Also, i notice my arse is quite painful - I was wearing lightly padded baggy shorts I got in TK Maxx and baselayer-type shorts underneath - how can I improve on this or is there something else that could be causing the discomfort?

I should mention, I'm on a seriously low budget so cant afford to splash out on expensive gear..

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions too, can see myself sticking around here..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I had an FCR3 and the saddle was murder so I reckon any saddle you can get your hands (or ar5e) on would be an improvement. But saddles are quite a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

karmabass wrote: »
    Hi, usually lurk here but just started getting into cycling proper so diving into posting - commuted to work for the first time today (55km round trip, did it in under 2.5 hrs without too much difficulty) on my new road(ish) bike (2nd hand Giant FCR3 - 150 quid, what a steal!!).. think i've been bitten with the bug, loved it!

Yep. Lovely bike. Ive been running one of these for about two years now and really enjoying it. Mind you, I have modified it fairly heavily by now.

Don't dive in too deep with the commuting from the start. Go with twice per week for now and build up to three, four, five times as you get stronger. Otherwise you'll push too hard and get discouraged.
    Pretty overweight so I'd like to get a HRM/calorie counting type thing to track my progress, along with a cyclocomputer that will tell me my speed, distance travelled etc

I would suggest you don't need to worry about the HRM stuff yet. Something like the Cateye Strada Cadence (GBP36) will give you speed, avg, max, distance, time and, most important, cadence. Work on pedalling at high cadence on your commute and the weight will either come off or convert to muscle (I don't seem to be getting any lighter...). I wouldn't worry about the wireless ones for now.
    Because the pedals are quite close to the front cog and I have big calves, I find myself ending up with oil all over the inside of my leg, bit annoying - is there anything I can do about this? Guy in LBS suggested getting 'bmx-style' pedals which would be larger... thoughts?

I found the stock pedals a bit narrow and swapped them out for BMX platforms. I've since moved to clipless pedals (which I would recommend for later) but these were grand in the meantime.
    Also, i notice my arse is quite painful - I was wearing lightly padded baggy shorts I got in TK Maxx and baselayer-type shorts underneath - how can I improve on this or is there something else that could be causing the discomfort?

Errm, that would be the 55km I'd say. It'll come easier as time goes on. That said, it is worth investing in proper padded bib shorts. You get the benefit of no waistband digging in, padding where it counts and that serious cyclist look... I'm using a pair of Endura shorts which are good value for GBP38. You can spend a whole lot more on shorts if you want. You'll need to consider 3/4 or full length bib tights for winter also but that can wait a while.
    I'm sure I'll think of some more questions too, can see myself sticking around here..
    Welcome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

With regard to money, Aldi (or Lidl, they merged in to one in my mind) are the budget cyclists friend. Wait until their Thursday bargain day is cycling themed and get stuff for a fraction of what it costs in the bike shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But not for padded shorts. The ones they sell are not up to the job.

I have Aldi gloves and jerseys which do nicely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

cdaly_ wrote: »
    But not for padded shorts. The ones they sell are not up to the job.

I'm by no means an expert but... I use padded underwear with regular shorts/trousers over and the Aldi version of that product seems fine. They are pretty much identical to the far more expensive branded version of the product I got a few years ago.

I don't know about the actual cycling shorts as opposed to the underwear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement