Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys to keep dog amused during the day

Options
  • 28-06-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

Due to a change in our work circumstances, we are now in a situation where our four-year old dog will have to be left at home alone for the full day over the next couple of months. Previously, she would never have been without company for more than four hours at the very most - now it's more likely to be eight or nine. This is far from ideal but with the recession, etc, we have to take work when we can find it and so be it. We researched getting a dog walker during the day but we really can't afford it.

The plan now is to switch to one morning and one evening walk - previously it was a lunchtime and an evening walk. What I'm worried about though is how to occupy her for the hours we're away. We have kongs which she loves but gets through quite quickly. Does anyone have any good suggestions for other toys to keep her amused / busy / interested / entertained during the day? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

I'm not a dog owner myself but I've read of others on here getting a 2nd dog to keep them company.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks for the suggestion. We did consider it and in my heart, I'd love to but thinking rationally it is not the ideal solution for us as it could mean twice the vet bills, twice the food cost, etc. We really aren't ready for that financially right now. We're hopeful that this will only be a temporary situation for us for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Does she stay inside during the day or outside? If she's inside then maybe leaving her go outside for the day would keep her more occupied, if it's safe for her.

You could try getting a big cardboard box, fill it with shredded paper (and maybe some smaller boxes) and put some toys, kongs, a few treats and stuff in there so she can dig around in it and play with the toys. That was on it's me or the dog.

Or you could try pigs ears and other chew treats that might take a long time to eat. You could hide them around the house or garden and let her wander around finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

A kong is a great toy for a dog and keeps them occupied. you put some food into it (make sure your careful to include this in their daily food intake) and they spend ages trying to get to the food. This is great for keeping them occupied and gives them a job to do, which they love. there are other brands of similar toys which are just as good but kong is the best known brand. when its warm enough you can also try putting some meats and other food into a container, fill it with water and pop it into the freezer they love licking at the ice to try get to the meat and it can help keep them cool. hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

My dogs are also left alone for a couple of hours during the day. In the evening I make "dog ice pops"- Just chop up some meat, ham sausage etc and put into a bowl, cover with dog nuts, fill with water - pop into the freezer over night and hey presto.... a dog ice pop, keeps them occupied for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I bought one of these for my dog....
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/activity_dog_toys/snack_activity_balls/62846
    She has gotten hours of entertainment out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nice big raw juicy marrowbone is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

A Kong with peanut butter lathered inside it usually keeps my three occupied for hours. To make it last longer, you can freeze the Kong as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Just be careful leaving a dog unattended with a kong. I didn't notice that a tiny split had appeared in ours and one day our lurcher's tongue got stuck in the slit. Luckily we were home, as he ran off screaming trying to remove the kong which he wasn't able to. I dread to think what I would have found if he had been on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

morganafay wrote: »
    Does she stay inside during the day or outside? If she's inside then maybe leaving her go outside for the day would keep her more occupied, if it's safe for her.

I never understand why people think a dog will be much more occupied stuck in a garden on their own. Mine enjoy sniffing about for a little while but a whole day spent alone in the garden is much the same as a whole day spent in the house in my opinion. Dogs, after a certain amount of time won't bounce around the garden stimulating themselves in my experience and will be just as bored. The number of bored, howling dogs in neighbourhoods across the country can attest to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

LucyBliss wrote: »
    A Kong with peanut butter lathered inside it usually keeps my three occupied for hours. To make it last longer, you can freeze the Kong as well.

my labrador manages to lick it completely clean of peanut butter within 30 minutes...

still, it's enough time to do the dishes :rolleyes:

Vel wrote: »
    I never understand why people think a dog will be much more occupied stuck in a garden on their own. Mine enjoy sniffing about for a little while but a whole day spent alone in the garden is much the same as a whole day spent in the house in my opinion. Dogs, after a certain amount of time won't bounce around the garden stimulating themselves in my experience and will be just as bored. The number of bored, howling dogs in neighbourhoods across the country can attest to this

Thank you for this. So true.

Mine prefer their own indoor bed any time. And say so loudly..After a while outside, unless it is bright sun, they are demanding IN.

Would never, ever leave them loose in a garden when out.

The real danger of course is dog thieves. Which is another reason against shock collars and other giszmos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I use some of the methods on this thread when we have to go off for the day.
    Kongs are great, stuff with mashed up veggies and meat or soaked nuts and then frozen, they come in different sizes too.
    I also freeze food in empty flora tubs, just turn out into their bowls when ready, they love them in summer.
    I have one of those Kongs that are ball shaped, you put the dry food in and the dog has too roll it around to get the food out, they really love this. It also has groves on the side which I push mashed carrot into(my two's fav) and they spend ages licking this clean.
    I have had to go out all day several times, and leave some or all of these, a neighbour calls in and lets them out into garden for half hour in the middle of the day, and I give them a good run morning and night.
    Even normal days when they're alone for up to 5 hours I leave a kong or the food ball each.
    Just remember any food you use in these, take away from the daily food allowance or you'll have a happy but heavy dog!

mymo wrote: »
    I use some of the methods on this thread when we have to go off for the day.
    Kongs are great, stuff with mashed up veggies and meat or soaked nuts and then frozen, they come in different sizes too.
    I also freeze food in empty flora tubs, just turn out into their bowls when ready, they love them in summer.
    I have one of those Kongs that are ball shaped, you put the dry food in and the dog has too roll it around to get the food out, they really love this. It also has groves on the side which I push mashed carrot into(my two's fav) and they spend ages licking this clean.
    I have had to go out all day several times, and leave some or all of these, a neighbour calls in and lets them out into garden for half hour in the middle of the day, and I give them a good run morning and night.
    Even normal days when they're alone for up to 5 hours I leave a kong or the food ball each.
    Just remember any food you use in these, take away from the daily food allowance or you'll have a happy but heavy dog!

Gee; we just leave a large bone. Never bought any of those things; comes of living out in the boonies maybe;)

And with so little money to spare these days also.

Tried a stuffed toy for the collie one day while we were in with her. She chewed an ear off with great glee- and then swallowed it.

Grabbed it off her as she was about to take another part of the face.....

Ours seem to sleep when we are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks everyone, I guess a good old fashioned bone if the answer. Must get friendly with my butcher! Would there be any harm in giving one each day? And if so, how much should I reduce her food allowance by?

Xiney wrote: »
    my labrador manages to lick it completely clean of peanut butter within 30 minutes...

still, it's enough time to do the dishes :rolleyes:

Hee, that's one dedicated dog! My terrier cross Jack can chow down on the biggest pig's ear in no time at all. He is by no means a dainty eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

One of the big rawhide bones (the kind that cost 7.99 at Petworld!) lasts Jake about a day and a half.. that might keep a normal dog amused for a wee bit longer!

(However - do your research on rawhide, there are drawbacks to it and make your own informed decision)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Originally Posted by Xiney

still, it's enough time to do the dishes

I had the same with my dog, took him 10 mins to clean it out when I fill it with mashed veg and nuts.
    I freeze them now, leave it out 5 or 10 mins then give it:D
    Takes at least a half hour(haven't timed him), worth a try for a few extra minutes

The ball type that you fill with nuts is great, it has groves in it which I rub mashed veg into and freeze, then when frozen put in the nuts, they lick the outside clean before rolling it around to get out the nuts. I'm learning new tricks everyday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I think 8/9 hours is way too long without some reciprocal interaction. On days I am gone lor longer than 4/5 hours I gave a house key to my sis in law and a pre-teen neighbours kid to take the dog for a walk. (sis in law free...12 year old boy loves dog and get a 10 at end of the week!)
    Ask around, its a good way to get to know neighbours

fiona-f wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I guess a good old fashioned bone if the answer. Must get friendly with my butcher! Would there be any harm in giving one each day? And if so, how much should I reduce her food allowance by?

We ask the butcher for marrowbones for soup.. they will usually give them. Some will not give for dogs..

You will not need a new one every day.. a bone lasts ages.... Our wee dog collects them in her bed and will gnaw a favoured one for weeks sometimes.. Her favourite suuny patch in the garden is encircled by old bones.. Collie buries hers to dug up when they have gone really mouldy.

They chew more than eat of course so no real calorie intake.

Getting at the marrow is great fun. Maybe is where the idea for kongs etc came from

• Advertisement

Jinxi wrote: »
    I think 8/9 hours is way too long without some reciprocal interaction. On days I am gone lor longer than 4/5 hours I gave a house key to my sis in law and a pre-teen neighbours kid to take the dog for a walk. (sis in law free...12 year old boy loves dog and get a 10 at end of the week!)
    Ask around, its a good way to get to know neighbours

Dogs don;t see time as we do.. I get the same welcome if I forget something and get out ;)of the car at the gate to to go back for it as I do after several hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dogs don;t see time as we do.. I get the same welcome if I forget something and get out ;)of the car at the gate to to go back for it as I do after several hours.

Yep and also dogs might sleep for 18 hours a day! so they'd be happy enough sleeping all day, usually.

morganafay wrote: »
    Yep and also dogs might sleep for 18 hours a day! so they'd be happy enough sleeping all day, usually.

Mine certainly do. Right now they're on the couch, having snuggled themselves under blankets. From the way they're sleeping you'd think they'd been on the go all day. But then these are the kind of dogs who need a long nap after running around the garden and who go into a coma after their walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Dogs will just sleep most of the day anyway,depending on the breed

I get a diferent welcome whther ive left my dog for 10-20 min(she doesnt bother when i come back) then i do for a couple of hours.(she goes mad)

certainly if you plan on leaving them for a long time,take them out for a good long walk were they can run around.If you cant do that get a dog walker in to take them out in the afternoon to play with them help break up the day.

Advertisement