Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnecting NTL cable to junction box? (pics)

• 28-06-2010 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,my mate recently purchased a house and I noticed that the NTL cables to the house are dissconnected from the little junction box that is up by the gutter/roof of the house.

1 of the cables goes down the wall and into the living room,and the other goes accross the wall and around the side of the house into 1 of the bedrooms.Theres a little white NTL box on the wall inside both the living room and the bedroom.Theres a co ax connection on the boxes for the TV.

The picture/reception on his TV is non existsnt.He doesnt have any fancy NTL or Sky installed yet he can barely even get RTE1 or Network 2.The picture is all fussy and crackly too.Totally crap to be honest with you.

My questions are

1-What are these cables for,as in is it just the normal terestrial/analogue TV signal?

2-Can he just get up there and reconnect the cables himself,or does the junction box have to be opened up to do it?Does he need any special tools to do the job?

3-If he gets these 2 cables reconnected back into the box,will he get the normal 14 or 15 channels back,like RTE1,UTV,SKY News TV3 etc etc.

4-Or is this an NTL job only?

House is in Dublin btw.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i think those cables only carry the digital signal now. if he re-connects those without being billed by ntl/upc he could end up in hot water. they look like plain f type connections and they just screw back into the jb but they are disconnected for a reason, most likely the last tennants canceled their subscription prior to moving out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i think those cables only carry the digital signal now. if he re-connects those without being billed by ntl/upc he could end up in hot water. they look like plain f type connections and they just screw back into the jb but they are disconnected for a reason, most likely the last tennants canceled their subscription prior to moving out.

Thanks.

The house was rented/leased out before it was put up for sale and then bought by my mate.He only bought the house 3 weeks ago.

If he simply got up and stuck the 2 cables back in,what happens then?

Will he get some normal TV channels and picture quality to look at?

Would he be in trouble for putting the cables back in and would NTL know about it??

Myself and my girlfriend were up having a look at his house today and we couldnt even watch the footie match,and he was going mad and shouting at the TV.so I really feel for him.Hes basicly got no TV to watch and not happy.:(

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

1. I think it could be both, depends on if your area is being phased over to digital. During the digital change over the analogue signal is still active (I think until later in 2010)
    2. He physically can but he's not allowed to. That would be an illegal connection and is, well, illegal.
    3. Possibly, but he's not allowed to, it's called theft and is punishable by a court. See pt. 3 above.
    4. Yes

If he wants a signal he should sign up with UPC and pay for it, otherwise invest in a "rabbits-ears"

slimjimmc wrote: »
    1. I think it could be both, depends on if your area is being phased over to digital. During the digital change over the analogue signal is still active (I think until later in 2010)
    2. He physically can but he's not allowed to. That would be an illegal connection and is, well, illegal.
    3. Possibly, but he's not allowed to, it's called theft and is punishable by a court. See pt. 3 above.
    4. Yes

Area is Dublin 9,Artane area.

I know that NTL were in the area (collins avenue dublin 9 too) about 2 years ago,as they dug up a long slice of my own garden and installed some fancy big outdoor cable up the front wall on all the houses where I live.

PS- BTW.....he has no interest in a NTL or Sky digi box at the moment,as he wants to do the house up a bit.

All he wants for now,is the usual 12 or so normal tv channels like RTE 1,Network 2,TV3,UTV,Setanta Sports,Sky News etc etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i think the only way he will get the terestrial channels is with an antenna and a mast head amp. he will get the rte's tv3 and tg4 on an indoor antenna but the bbc's ect he will need a decent antenna on the roof.

ps the cable in the pic going into the jb looks to be the upgraded type, ie a light grey colour but it could be the old one just painted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

they know when the connection is made. They did with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    Area is Dublin 9,Artane area.

I know that NTL were in the area (collins avenue dublin 9 too) about 2 years ago,as they dug up a long slice of my own garden and installed some fancy big outdoor cable up the front wall on all the houses where I live.

PS- BTW.....he has no interest in a NTL or Sky digi box at the moment,as he wants to do the house up a bit.

All he wants for now,is the usual 12 or so normal tv channels like RTE 1,Network 2,TV3,UTV,Setanta Sports,Sky News etc etc.

Thanks.

12 or so normal channels is chargable by UPC / NTL. He can always get a free to air dish if he waned to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

paddy147 wrote: »
    My questions are

2-Can he just get up there and reconnect the cables himself,or does the junction box have to be opened up to do it?Does he need any special tools to do the job?

There is a tamper proof terminator on the junction box to stop him doing it himself (the silver cylinder things). If he were to remove (which he shouldn't) stick the tamper proof terminator in the drills chuck and put the drill in reverse and the sucker should fall off.

There is a tamper proof terminator on the junction box to stop him doing it himself (the silver cylinder things). If he were to remove (which he shouldn't) stick the tamper proof terminator in the drills chuck and put the drill in reverse and the sucker should fall off.

Hmmm,interesting to know.:)

Advertisement