Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orbea Onix

• 28-06-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I'm finally doing the miles to justify an upgrade from my 5 year old Orbea Enol.

I've only ever been considering getting another Orbea as I'm very happy with my own, and I don't think I can justify the cost of an Orca, so an Onix is the obvious choice.

But before I shell out, I'm wondering if I should be looking at other bikes as a comparison. Any one got any opinions on this?

Staggs quoted me €1,699 for 105 and €2,200 for Ultegra (it was over the phone so not sure what the other specs are).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Bumping for the day crew.

Right, I'm going up to Staggs on Saturday to make my selection. It's too later to stop me!

If I find a couple of grand down the back of the sofa I might go for the Orca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Not exactly the same, but I'm toying with the idea of the onix centaur with upgraded wheels/fork etc and the opal that already has said items on it.

There are probably "better" deals on dinterweb net with ribble, focus, planet-x, canyon etc, but personally I like the Orbeas.

nereid wrote: »
    Not exactly the same, but I'm toying with the idea of the onix centaur with upgraded wheels/fork etc and the opal that already has said items on it.

There are probably "better" deals on dinterweb net with ribble, focus, planet-x, canyon etc, but personally I like the Orbeas.

I agree, I love my Enol, though I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. I also like the idea of giving my money to a Basque Co-op rather than a Trek or Giant conglomerate.

For a purchase like this, I'd prefer to spend a bit extra actually going into a shop and checking it out before actually buying.

I agree with you on both counts there. I only mentioned the cheaper online variants so you can make up your own mind on the cost of buying local (shop and manufacturer).
    Staggs are good for setting you up correctly, I'll probably be down there myself asking the same questions!
    On that note, if you can get down during the week, do, because they do get busy on Saturdays.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    I agree with you on both counts there. I only mentioned the cheaper online variants so you can make up your own mind on the cost of buying local (shop and manufacturer).
    Staggs are good for setting you up correctly, I'll probably be down there myself asking the same questions!
    On that note, if you can get down during the week, do, because they do get busy on Saturdays.

I'm in Cork so I'm not in Dublin that often so it has to be Saturday. The wife and kids are off to the zoo with their granny though, so, for once, I won't be in any rush.

I'm trying to convince the missus that I should go for a spin up the Sally Gap on Saturday morning as well, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Given that you've been riding your current bike for 5 years, I think you're a bit nuts to be avoiding the online option when spending upwards of €1500.

You presumably know what size you want, so isn't it just a question of reading a few reviews, avoiding buying anything with obvious design defects and going for something pretty at the right spec?

Lumen wrote: »
    Given that you've been riding your current bike for 5 years, I think you're a bit nuts to be avoiding the online option when spending upwards of €1500.

You presumably know what size you want, so isn't it just a question of reading a few reviews, avoiding buying anything with obvious design defects and going for something pretty at the right spec?

I don't know absolutely what size I need. The Enol is 57cm, and to be honest a very tiny bit on the small side. I've as many spacers on the the headset as I can, I only really notice when out of the saddle I'd like a tiny little bit more.

I also want to talk to a real person about what spec to get.

My final reason is that I've also been bitten a few times with problems with online purchases (electronics mostly admittedly) and would like the comfort of being able to go back into a shop to get it sorted. The bike to work scheme makes the margin in price it less of a concern for me.

Fair enough. Those Orbea prices from Staggs look decent, and Staggs have a good reputation.

There's lots of choice around €2k though. I'd be tempted by something like this or this, or even this (no affiliation with Epic, but they have nice pictures, interesting specs and built a custom specced bike for me a couple of years ago).

Lumen wrote: »
    Fair enough. Those Orbea prices from Staggs look decent, and Staggs have a good reputation.

There's lots of choice around €2k though. I'd be tempted by something like this or this, or even this (no affiliation with Epic, but they have nice pictures, interesting specs and built a custom specced bike for me a couple of years ago).

Thanks for those links, there are some interesting options for me there too, but I'm fairly sure the orbeas come in cheaper for the same spec.

For example the Scott Addict 2010 R2 with ultegra is £2499 and the orbea onix ultegra was quoted to me at ~€2400 which appears to have similar spec. Not sure on the wheels though.

Either way, I find it good to be informed of the prices and offerings from different vendors, and personally I don't mind spending a small bit (which is all it is in the above example) more locally.

Having said that I was looking at the Canyon CF d-ace for €2600 but I don't think I fit a 64" :)

• Advertisement

Right, decision time. Onix it is. Do I go for...?

a) 105 group set, Mavic Aksiums for 1699
    b) Ultegra with Shimano RS20s for 2200
    c) Ultegra with Ksyrium Elites 2350

I'm trying to get my head around the jump in price from the 105 to Ultegra - as standalone components, the difference is nowhere near that big. Can anyone explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's not about component cost, it's just price sensitivity. Like the cost of adding chocolate to a cup of coffee or cheese to a burger, it rarely reflects the cost of the chocolate/coffee.

If you don't think it is worth spending more, don't do it. If I had the cash, I would probably go for option B. Otherwise 105 is fine, it's 10 speed and Aksiums are solid wheels.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's not about component cost, it's just price sensitivity. Like the cost of adding chocolate to a cup of coffee or cheese to a burger, it rarely reflects the cost of the chocolate/coffee.

If you don't think it is worth spending more, don't do it. If I had the cash, I would probably go for option B. Otherwise 105 is fine, it's 10 speed and Aksiums are solid wheels.

Thanks, I get that, but it's the size of the jump - like paying €4 for a burger and €5.50 for a cheese burger!

I really want Ultegra, but I'm trying to justify it to myself. Never mind the wife.

I'm trying to get my head around the jump in price from the 105 to Ultegra - as standalone components, the difference is nowhere near that big. Can anyone explain?

Ask the shop :)

As you indicate, RS20->Aksiums->Ksyrium Elite is about €35 each step from CRC, so that doesn't explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

FWIW. I would avoid Shimano Rs20 wheels.

I bought an Orbea from Staggs. They are a great shop to deal with. Friendly and very customer focused. Shop is chaotic however.
    I would buy a bike from them again if that helps.
    One thing the Orbea frames have very small headtubes versus other bikes that I have. That maybe why you have so many headset spaces.
    My orbea has a crazy amount of spacers versus my Kuota in order to achieve similar geometry.

ROK ON wrote: »
    FWIW. I would avoid Shimano Rs20 wheels.

I bought an Orbea from Staggs. They are a great shop to deal with. Friendly and very customer focused. Shop is chaotic however.
    I would buy a bike from them again if that helps.
    One thing the Orbea frames have very small headtubes versus other bikes that I have. That maybe why you have so many headset spaces.
    My orbea has a crazy amount of spacers versus my Kuota in order to achieve similar geometry.

Agree with you on all of the above. I tried a 60cm frame, much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I can explain that. The retail bike trade is taking the p1ss.:)

Some brands (eg Cannonale) give you a better fork when you go up a level. Some will have a better finishing kit.
    Bottom line is- in most cases difference between 105 and ultegra should be about 200 quid plus wheel price difference.
    Like I said-They are taking the p1ss.

Edit. Also you sometimes do not get a full Ultegra group. Look out for lower spec brakes and cassette+ chain..

Right, spec sorted, need help with the colours. Changed my mind every time I think I've decided, so I'm opening to the floor.

1orbea-onix10new-red300.jpg

2Orbea-onix-anth-300.jpg

3orbea-onix10new-sil300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd get (2), the black one. White bikes are a pain in the neck and I actually think that particular black one looks the best anyway.

This one even better, go on you know you want to:

orbea-orca-classic-300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

+1 on Blorgs choice... I think Rok On got Red, and didn't like it much. The Orange is the only true colour for the basque beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

blorg wrote: »
    I'd get (2), the black one. White bikes are a pain in the neck and I actually think that particular black one looks the best anyway.

+1 Has to be Orange, don't forget to pick up one of these as well. :)

nalini-eus-ssj-med.jpg

blorg wrote: »

Oh I want to. The Orca is waay out of my price range unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

billster6OinxTDA_big_orange.jpg

Advertisement