Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manga & Anime On Blu-Ray

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering about a couple of things...

1. Where can I order it from? There seems to be a fair bit on Amazon.com but I'll be hit with a 21% VAT charge when it's delivered to Ireland.

2. Is it worth it? I've seen a couple of movies in HD and they look great but I don't think it would be unless I can find a site with a selection of titles at a reasonable price. Amazon.co.uk are doing some great deals on DVD box-set but pretty much nothing on Blu-ray (apart from overpriced US Imports)

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

[edit] thought you were ordering within the EU, misread that [/edit]

You shouldn't be hit with a 21% VAT charge since you are purchasing within the EU.

You can be hit with customs charges I think? Someone will have to correct me as I've order loads from PLAY.com and never been asked to pay an additional amount. So yeah order from PLAY.com as they do a half decent selection of stuff. Anime on Blu Ray will be slow releasing over here so may be another year or two before you see a lot of it.

Generally check out reviews of the blu-ray version if you can. It all depends on how it was handled. For instance Sword of the Strange looks awesome on Blu Ray and well I can't think of one that was bad on Blu Ray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not too familiar with ordering it, but Amazon are typically very reasonable and speedy for Blu-Ray delivery.

Only anime Blu-Ray I own is Evangelion 1.11 which looks absolutely stunning in HD. Personally, I feel animation transfers best to Blu-Ray as they are often transferred with 16:9 ratio in mind. I'd love to get my hands on some Ghibli stuff on Blu-Ray particularly after seeing how well Pixar films look in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

Thanks a mil guys!

I´ve heard there are some rubbish upscaled Blu-ray versions alright but I guess that´s what Google and Reviews are for.

I´ve spent the last while searching and I managed to find a site a once stumbled accross called Axelmusic.com

There´s a review of the site here. They seem to have a great selection (no reviews or summaries though), region free information and the best part... No import duty!

I haven´t ordered with them before so don´t take my word for it but it´s still cool browsing to see what´s comming down the road.

If anyone has any othe sites or info, please post

Thanks again! :)

Yeah you'll find that a large amount of anime blu rays are actually region free. I guess they want to get as much as the market as possible.

That online shop looks really good. I'll have to check it out when I get some cash :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    Yeah you'll find that a large amount of anime blu rays are actually region free. I guess they want to get as much as the market as possible.

That online shop looks really good. I'll have to check it out when I get some cash :D

i thought the fact they were region free is because they're bootlegs? :confused:

• Advertisement

No, all the Blu Rays on that site are legit from what I see.

You can see on this website too they have the same selection of Blu Rays and this site prides themselves on being 100% legit. However I didn't mention them as the postage can be quite expensive so I generally buy in bulk from them. http://www.animecornerstore.com/blhdz.html

It seems with Blu Ray that the option of making it region free is easier. Anime on Blu Ray which isn't region free generally means that it has been released over here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

i thought the fact they were region free is because they're bootlegs? :confused:

No, not at all! I think most Blu-ray are region free here's another site I've found really useful when it comes to region information.

Advertisement