Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Trouble In Their Neighbourhood ?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Last night on BBC news a spokesperson for the EU said that countries who want to become members of the EU must not have trouble in their neighbourhood. She was referring to Turkey and its location beside the Middle East and its borders with Iraq and Iran.

It struck me that Ireland and The UK had trouble in their " Neighbourhood " when they were accepted intoo the EU in 1973. Is this not a bit Hypocritical ..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Didn't we let in Cyprus, who have a chunk of there country being occupied by Turkey? Surely, that would have counted as trouble in the neighbourhood as well. Sounds like a very silly reason to disallow Turkey, when there are plenty of valid reasons, such as the occupation of Northern Cyprus for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I think its just the southern part of Cyprus known as The Republic of Cyprus, which is recognised as the official government that is in the EU and the northern Turkish part isn't. The two are seperated by an UN border.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I think its just the southern part of Cyprus known as The Republic of Cyprus, which is recognised as the official government that is in the EU and the northern Turkish part isn't. The two are seperated by an UN border.

Presumably the northern part will be recognised when Turkey is allowed in, then.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Presumably the northern part will be recognised when Turkey is allowed in, then.
    Seeing as it's a given that Turkey won't be allowed in until the Cyprus question is settled, I think that's a fair bet.

Advertisement