Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantor for renting?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭

I recently paid a deposit on a 1-bed apartment, and gave my details (proof of current address, copy of drivers licence etc). Since I never rented before, I was told a letter of recommendation from my employer would be fine, and a while after receiving them, the EA said they were absolutely fine. I also had to fill out a long online application form on their website.

Today the EA called me though, and said her managers have told her that they'll need me to have a guarantor to co-sign the lease, like a parent, and specifically suggested my father. They'd need a copy of his ID, a utility bill and recent payslip.

After speaking to my aunt and father (my aunt works in an estate agents), they said they've never heard of anyone having to have a guarantor for renting before, especially when I've paid the deposit, would be paying the rent by direct debit, and am in full-time employment as proved by the letter from my employer.

My father is going to call the EA tomorrow (to find out why he should go guarantor and why they need him to), but has anyone heard of this before? Why would they be asking for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

lots of rentals out there. tell them to sing for it.

if they dont want your business tell them you will go elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

D3PO wrote: »
    lots of rentals out there. tell them to sing for it.

if they dont want your business tell them you will go elsewhere

I like this thinking. I'm in no rush to move out, I can wait for another place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I was asked for a guarantor years ago. It is probably going to become more common because of the fact that the guarantor can be sued in the courts without going through the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Jo King wrote: »
    I was asked for a guarantor years ago. It is probably going to become more common because of the fact that the guarantor can be sued in the courts without going through the PRTB.

Do people agree to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Do not give them any payslips as they have no right to view anything bank related. Never heard of this guarantor crap, stick to your guns as you have proof you are full time employed.

As this is your first time renting, perhaps they are looking for a previous LL reference and suggested your father as you live at home. Ignore that guarantor crap, he can write out a smashing reference for you on your good character. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Bob Z wrote: »
    Do people agree to this?

Some do, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

A guarantor section is written nearly written into every lease but rarely looked for. I presume the estate agent taking every possible precaution when picking a tenant for their client which I suppose is fair enough as there's a lot of bad tenants out there. If the person renting is very young they probably want some more security. I know if I was paying someone to rent a property for me I'd make sure there doing everything possible to get a good tenant.

In the current market it might seem a bit picky when there's so much rental out there and you could pull out now on principle.

I think that's what I'll end up doing. It just no longer seems like a good enough deal, and I'm in no rush or anything so I'd prefer to wait for a better deal. Already saw two nicer places on Daft for only 50 more a month, which is no problem, as id rather negotiate for a 3 month break clause than negotiate the rent

All sorted now. Told them that I didn't require a guarantor and that if they were happy to proceed with the original agreement, then that's fine If not, I wanted my deposit back.

So I should be signing the lease on Friday and start moving in on Saturday. Thanks for the advice people

Advertisement