Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Operation Flashpoint

• 28-06-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I was considering picking this up, reading mixed reviews about it though.
    What does anyone who's played it think of it?

get it? 10 votes

go for it
    0% 0 votes
    forget it
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Not a patch on the original game..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I played it when it first game out and it was glitchy to the point of unplayable. I'm sure some it has been patched but it was in such bad shape I doubt they could ever salvage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Played the first few missions and then forgot about it, still lying around here somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Wow, a resounding no, so far. What are the alternatives then? COD2's been played beyond death, even the extra maps aren't cutting it for me anymore. BFBC2 wasn't my cup of tea (too arcadey, jumpy graphics:()
    I'm gonna have to buy another copy of RB6LV2 and try to finish it this time:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Awful, one of the two games - with Far Cry 2 - that I truly regret buying this generation. Still feel conned by all the pre-release hype. The original PC game along with the two add-ons were fantastic, but DR is a pile of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Great potential but the game is just broken :(

Devs have given up support for it on the xbox too. Desperately needed to be patched. Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

BFBC2 wasn't my cup of tea (too arcadey, jumpy graphics:()

After playing MW2 so much how can you say that Bad Company 2 is too arcadey? :confused:

Fair enough if you don't like it, I don't like MW2, but one of the reasons I'd say I don't like MW2 is that it's too arcadey :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Awfully broken game. Did I mention it's also not good at all? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Stay well clear....its awful sh1te.

I bought it, hoping it would be great, as great as the pre-launch videos and screens, but this game looked nothing like they said it would, and played even worse.

The A.I team mates were the worst ever. They can't follow any orders at all properly, it was infuriating trying to get them to do anything properly, and fast in the middle of a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

some bugs, but enjoyed it. very like the original ghost recon games on the xbox. If you liked those you'll like this. It aint your call of duty/battlefield run and gun game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have it on PS3 and it works fine. But if you play arcade shooters like MW2 or BFBC2 then this is nothing like that. Its a realistic shooter so things like jumping up and down doesnt avoid bullets !!

Its a serious game so just know that going into it. Its a shame these days that the FPS fan consider Modern warfare 2 a comparison point for shooters.

Its a realistic shooter so things like jumping up and down doesnt avoid bullets !!

Thats why I was looking forward to it, its was supposed to be a realistic war simulation almost.

It was nothing like that, it was a broken mess of a game, with the worst AI I have witnessed in a modern game. They rushed it out before the MW2 release date instead of finishing it and polishing it. They wont even support it now, they pulled the support 6 months after release.

The backlash against the game and codemasters on their forums when this game was released says its all. Stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

It was complete ****.
    Theres no other real sim shooters ont he xbox as an alternative tho. About the only thing i could recomment would be brothers in arms: hells highway, as its got the same kind of squad management as op flash but doesnt suck cocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I got it with hopes that it would be a decent well rounded realistic war simulation...unfortunately they also equated that "realistic" shouldn't mean a second of actual fun. Played till the 2nd mission then returned it to the shop. Avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I have it on PS3 and it works fine. But if you play arcade shooters like MW2 or BFBC2 then this is nothing like that. Its a realistic shooter so things like jumping up and down doesnt avoid bullets !!

Its a serious game so just know that going into it. Its a shame these days that the FPS fan consider Modern warfare 2 a comparison point for shooters.

I'm not sure what your saying here, are you one of the two people that said go for it in the poll. I also bought this for PS3 and yes it runs fine but after salivating with anticipation for a whole year. A whole year spreading the good word about how this was going to be the ' grown up' persons shooter. A whole year looking forward to assaulting villages, boat yards and airfields in a slow methodical, tactical and completly un Modern Warfare way. And what do i get, a totally unfun game a game that once finished has sat on the shelf since. I was very upset about this title, and you have just brought it all back. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I agree, think of it more as a FPSS first person shooter simulation. Modern warfare = ace combat ... operation flashpoint = MS flight simulator.

You have to work your team, think three steps ahead, plan everything, but that just makes it more satisfying when you finish an op.

I went through a sniper team mission that was about 45 mins long and only shot three rounds and they were to take out the targets. With careful planing and teamwork I managed to get in and out completely undetected.

Its def not for everyone but if your into games where you put the time and effort in for a bigger reward later then try it out.

hightower1 wrote: »
    I went through a sniper team mission that was about 45 mins long and only shot three rounds and they were to take out the targets. With careful planing and teamwork I managed to get in and out completely undetected.

Its def not for everyone but if your into games where you put the time and effort in for a bigger reward later then try it out.

Ya so did I, I did that mission undetected. And put loads of time into the game, none of that excuses the fact that the game is an unfinished mess, and nothing like what was advertised beforehand.

There is a small bit of snobbery when it comes to this game, if you say you think it was crap, people say "well go back to MW2 so, thats more your game".

I wanted Operation Flashpoint 2 to be good, unfortunately its far from it. It has lots of problems, but If I had to pick one that completely ruined the game, its the broken squad controls, they can't flank, bound, or do anything in convincing manner, even if you run, and set their movement to fast, and give them a way point, they stroll, even if under fire, it's beyond the joke how bad this game turned out.

I would love a proper WAR simulation game, but this is not it.

OP: DR isn't a sim, it's an arcade shooter without the fun.

I have Hells Highway, thought it was a great game.

It's like gaming limbo at the moment - there's no decent original games out, everything is a remake or rehash:( I got back in to Batman:AA - great graphics, story and gameplay but very similiar to Splinter Cell. I was considering getting RDR, but having played it on the ps3, it's too much like gta for me.

Summer game selection:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have Hells Highway, thought it was a great game.

It's like gaming limbo at the moment - there's no decent original games out, everything is a remake or rehash:( I got back in to Batman:AA - great graphics, story and gameplay but very similiar to Splinter Cell. I was considering getting RDR, but having played it on the ps3, it's too much like gta for me.

Summer game selection:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Transformers: War for Cybertron is actually getting good word of mouth. Half thinking of picking it up tomorrow.

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Ya so did I, I did that mission undetected. And put loads of time into the game, none of that excuses the fact that the game is an unfinished mess, and nothing like what was advertised beforehand.

There is a small bit of snobbery when it comes to this game, if you say you think it was crap, people say "well go back to MW2 so, thats more your game".

I wanted Operation Flashpoint 2 to be good, unfortunately its far from it. It has lots of problems, but If I had to pick one that run that completely ruined the game, its the broken squad controls, they can't flank, bound, or do anything in convincing manner, even if you run, and set their movement to fast, and give them a way point, they stroll, even if under fire, it's beyond the joke how bad this game turned out.

I would love a proper WAR simulation game, but this is not it.

I totally agree with you. I wanted this to be a proper war simulator and was so disappointed with the final result. The lies the the Devs told about the game were ridiculous before release. Open world warfare, my ass!!!

It was released in Q4 of last year and by Feburary, the Devs announced that they were discontinuing support for it. They released a few patches to try fix some of the issues but never really addressed any of the main issues.

I've vowed never to purchase a Codemaster's game again on release day. To be honest, I can't imagine ever spending money with them again. Blacklisted until proven otherwise.

Transformers: War for Cybertron is actually getting good work of mouth. Half thinking of picking it up tomorrow.

I've the demo downloading..............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

This game is crap and buggy, wasnt made by the team that made the original operation flashpoint, they only used the name to sell the game to unsuspecting customers, the true sequel to operation flashpoint are the arma games but is only on pc. Arma 2 is the best sim fps game full stop :).

I've vowed never to purchase a Codemaster's game again on release day. To be honest, I can't imagine ever spending money with them again. Blacklisted until proven otherwise.

Given the carry on in the official forum I made the same vow myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I told everyone who would listen that this game would be the best shooter by a mile.
    2 hours in and I wanted to throw the controller at the TV. Not due to the fiendish challenge from the game but the stupid AI and broken gameplay.
    Biggest disappointment of a game on xbox.
    Traded it in the following day!

cycocycle wrote: »
    I told everyone who would listen that this game would be the best shooter by a mile.
    2 hours in and I wanted to throw the controller at the TV. Not due to the fiendish challenge from the game but the stupid AI and broken gameplay.
    Biggest disappointment of a game on xbox.
    Traded it in the following day!

They won't even let me trade my copy back in!!! :mad:

Was trying to think of some bizzare ceremonial way to destroy the disk and either send it back to codemasters or just email their CEO a vid of it ;)

Like you, I told everyone I knew to buy it. Thought it was going to be the FPS to end all FPS games. I was following the development daily for the last six months before release. On release day, I bought four copies for three mates and myself. Talk about an anti-climax... :(

Waste of shelf space!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I bought four copies for three mates and myself.

Jaysus. At least I only got burned with one!:eek: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dean.

Did you ever say "I want a game that's so realistic" this is TOO realistic i can't stand this game it's too close to reality :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

The sad thing is I have 1000 gamerscore in this game :o myself and a mate completed it on the hardest difficulty on co-op and were nearly breaking our controllers over the damn thing. How on earth we finished it I'll never know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I love it, playing it through co op with two mates on and off at the moment. Too much of that game and you'll want to tear your hair out hehe it's pretty challanging, definatly not one for anyone who is used to playing with aim assist (imo, don't kill me :))

I've gotten my moneys worth out of it anyway :D

Advertisement