Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long haird GSD and show specifications

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm hoping to start showing my German Shepherd dog and bitch but I'm just wondering if it possible to enter my long coat German shepherd. I’ve read the bread specifications of which they look for and his coat is definitely long and he’s also very big he's would be classed as a giant German shepherd.

He's just over 12 months old and I have him entered in to a show but I'm afraid will I be told to go home the minute I appear on the parade ring?

His sister (bitch) has a plush coat and normal size except she is on the tall side to the bread standard just need to know how strict they are about these things.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If they look like this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_German_Shepherd_Dog
    the GSD people probably won't want to know you as long haired GSD have no FCI recognition as a breed. The German SV certainly wouldn't entertain you ...it might be different here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I don't think you can show a long haired shepherd.
    My oul lad was offered one for nothing by a friend of his that's secretary of the Irish german shepherd club cos you can't show them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, you cannot show the long haired ones as they arent a desired trait in the breed for showing, so i wouldnt bring him if i was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

andreac wrote: »
    No, you cannot show the long haired ones as they arent a desired trait in the breed for showing, so i wouldnt bring him if i was you.

That's what I was thinking,

This is as close a picture I can find that he looks like
    355176048.jpg

Guess I'll just keep practising for his - BH exam, his father is a Irish Sieger champion and he's showing good promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I love long haired GSD's, one day I will eventually own one. If your fella looks like that then be careful with giving your address out as I might just come and dognap him! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement