Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimax in Rush Co Dublin

• 28-06-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I am looking at changing over to wimax.
    It seems a lot cheaper than UTV .
    We will need one of those receiver boxes on the house,

Will it be ok for online gaming on the xbox and PS3 we also have a million wifi gadgets connected to our router at once and it seems to cope, (xbox, ps3, internet radio, internet tv, wifi picture frame etc). Will we get a wifi router similar to the one we have that can handle multiple devices.
    Does anybody know any technical reasons why we should stay away.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055944013

It's only Broadband some of the time for some people. It's Mobile WiMax if you mean Imagine's service (likely in Dublin). Other Suppliers have Fixed WiMax which is fine.

It's really a Mobile system at too high a frequency for Mobile use (poor building penetration) and not as reliable as Fixed Wireless Broadband (including Fixed WiMax), DSL or UPC Cable or Metro or Magnet Fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Watty if it was you and you had 3mg fixed line broadband and you never got over 1.5 would you stick with your current provider or switch to a service like Wimax.
    I ask because looking at your previous posts, you know what your talking about and maybe sitting tight is my best option at the moment.
    I am on an eircom line with UTV and there is no sign of it being upgraded. Its either wimax or any other provided using the same bad line to deliver the service.
    My mate had Ripwave a few years ago and gave it back after 4 weeks, is this something similar?
    Thanks for you help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Nice 1 thanks. I will give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Nice 1 thanks. I will give them a call.

Ye, speak to them - even if it is only 1 more option to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Watty if it was you and you had 3mg fixed line broadband and you never got over 1.5 would you stick with your current provider or switch to a service like Wimax.

My mate had Ripwave a few years ago and gave it back after 4 weeks, is this something similar?
    The Imagine Wimax is a replacement for Ripwave. It's better as it's "OFDM" rather than "CDMA" based so while it can degrade to ISDN speed and very high pings, for same number of users at that stage would be twice as good.

I used the Digiweb Mobile service and similar one elsewhere. It's also OFDM rather than CDMA (3G is also CDMA, but LTE in maybe 3 to 5 years here will be OFDM on downlink) so as contention rises it also performs better than Ripwave or 3G/iHSPA. It's at a much much better frequency than Imagine Wimax and a better frequency than 3G/HSPA

You might have better than your current DSL on the Digiweb Mobile or Imagine WiMax, but since these are not fixed broadband there is no assurance that what speed you get when you try either is anyway related to the speed in a month's time.

I mostly got better results on Digiweb Mobile than on 3G/HSDPA on speed and always got better latency (lower ping, typically 1/5th!).

The Digiweb Mobile is certainly best for "ping"/Latency. But you can easily get less than 1.5Mbps. As with other Mobile systems the quoted "up to" speed assumes perfect signal and no-one else transferring data. Your 1.5Mbps DSL will be more consistent than Imagine's WiMax, Digiweb Mobile or the Mobile Phone operator's Mobile 3G/HSPA system.

Digiweb Metro, Imagine Breeze and some other Fixed wireless systems will outperform your DSL. It looks to me though like Imagine is phasing out Breeze to have more capacity for their Mobile/Nomadic WiMax, but that's just my impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

watty wrote: »

It looks to me though like Imagine is phasing out Breeze to have more capacity for their Mobile/Nomadic WiMax, but that's just my impression.

Looks like this alright, but as far as I know they are going to retain Breeze in the areas where they operate it with 5.4 gear and sell it as their "premium wireless service". Anywhere it was operated using the 3.5 gear it will be phased out and replaced by wimax.

Advertisement