Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do i need before a home check?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi I will soon (hopefully) be getting a dog from a rescue center :)
    This will be my first dog since I moved from home and the first one from a shelter. So Iv never seen what happens during a home check.

I wanted to know if anyone can advise me on what I need to get before the home check??

Will I need to have bowls, bed etc. as I know roughly what size dog I can take in. Or will they understand that I will get these once I know for certain that I will be getting my new best friend???

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Different rescues have different requirements but the most important is fencing, having a secure area for your dog in the garden and ensuring it can deal with any size of dog just in case you go with a big one or a small jumper.

They may want to see where the dog will sleep and just to make sure the dogs area will warm comfy. I wouldn't go buying beds yet as you said wouldn't be practical until you find out the size of the dog and just say that to them.

They won't and shouldn't go looking to see every room in the house.
    If you have anything to ask them the home check is the perfect time to do so as well.

Having a chat with you will also help get to know your requirements so they can help match a dog to your household.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Thanks for the advice. Especially about how they conduct the homecheck. Feeling a bit more relaxed about it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ive carried out home checks and the main one is that the garden is securely fenced in.
    You wont need to have anything there and then, its more of a chat to see if the dog will suit your lifestyle so they will ask questions about routine, feeding, exercise, and so on, so just be honest as they will try and match a dog then with your lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm sure you've no reason to be worried. I know when I was getting a home check for my guinea pig I was really nervous! But it was just her having a glance around and talking to me to get an idea of what I'm like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

andreac wrote: »
    Ive carried out home checks and the main one is that the garden is securely fenced in.
    You wont need to have anything there and then, its more of a chat to see if the dog will suit your lifestyle so they will ask questions about routine, feeding, exercise, and so on, so just be honest as they will try and match a dog then with your lifestyle.

I do homechecks too and totally agree with above. We allow people to book their dog first so some of the questions will be about them handling that specific dog, if they're hyper, shy, have problems that need further work etc. We also make sure people have thought about who'll mind the dog when they go on holidays/weekends away. You wouldn't believe how many people haven't sorted that out before getting a dog and then its a massive issue.

Also don't forget to ask whatever questions you want, get all the info you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

thanks everyone for the replies! You have all given me some great info and it always helps to hear from people who do the checks and those who have experienced being checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would always ask who their local vet is (very important to know in case of emergency).

Don't be suprised if you're asked what will happen if you can't keep the dog.

I would always try to find out, without prying, have they thought if a baby comes along how they will manage. The amount of dogs who are rehomed because of this excuse reason is astounding.

I generally just have a little chat. Get a feel for the person. There is no need to be nervous. Checkers hope to get a good home for a dog, if you can provide that, then there will be no problem!

Advertisement