Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dwarf Fortress, love your midgets like you love yourself.

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Anybody play Dwarf fortress at all, I'm currently travelling with an EEEPC and the only decent game to run on it is "The best 2D dwarf management simulator released this year"

It always struck me as super ****ing difficult to understand, but with quite a few quiet nights I have had time to research it a bit, I though I would pass on the info, for those not inclined to trawl.

First of all is the tutorials, Rock paper shoutgun have a list to basic tutorials here, also they have a good few articles on its joys.

These tutorials use an old version of the game, and add a "tileset", a tileset basically makes the game easier to understand visually. The tileset the tutorial uses is "maydays", an up to date version can be gotten here

Maydays tileset looks like this
    DFG13.png

Instead of this
    Dwarf_Fortress_01.jpg

Another popular tileset is Phoebus (you will need a larger screen resolution to enjoy it), but it can be gotten here prepackaged with two other very useful tools, a 3D visualizer and a dwarf manager that makes it easier to tell the midgets what to do, its looks like this.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5143/screenshotlv.png

Obligatory link to a facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dwarf-Fortress/35202711313

If anybody has questions or even a few tips post them up.

Also if anybody has a few screenshots of there fortress I'd love to see them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dunno why, but in a very very short while have come to absolutely LOVE this game (though, without the tile-set, it gives me a headache)

Got it one rainy Saturday afternoon, and started up the tutorials posted by yourself, and bam - addicted
    Next thing I know, Im late for work Monday morning :mad:

Anyway..
    Only on my third fort (1st made balls of, 2nd place got crippled by a berserk child(!), who just mangled everything :( Set my war dog army on him (all of 2), but he pulled the legs off one, and punched the other in half...)

Most recent fort just has traps.. new military system still a bit over my head.. and this embark has like -no- metal :o
    Forts been siege'd twice - once by gobbos (all caged and.. disposed of <.< ), second time by humans. Had built up enough metal at this stage for a rake of weapon traps this time... many many (many) serrated iron discs :pac:

Anywho.. much hilarity ensured, and the remainder -those that still had legs- had to run off.
    Not sure how, but one of the traps, well, just exploded one of them. Bits of em up on top of the walls even :o Another one of them (err, well half of one of them) just exited stage left after an encounter, up and over the mountain (!)

Love it..!

Many thanks for your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Another dwarf herder! Excellent!

Glad to see you are enjoying it, as for your sceenshots, SO MUCH BLOOD!

Just had another disaster myself, my best axe dwarf went berserk and killed 25 of the other 27 dwarfs in the fort. Of course he is now dead but the fish cleaner who finally did him in is in a bad state and the other dwarf has withdrawn from society and wont bring him water. Heres hoping they make it through till the next migrant wave.

hah! yea, berserk dwarf brought about the downfall of one of my early forts :( think I had to lock him up and let him starve to death in the end

still going on the mega-trap fort, and its gotten a bit ridiculous.. must stick up a recent screenshot

up to ~160 dwarves at the mo
    sieges have become common place now, but the forts pretty self sufficient at this stage. Last caravan was ambushed and killed by gobbos, which is a bit worrying (still no military)
    Also got a crazy fire breathing hyena thing trapped in my prisoner killing room. It can destroy doors, and jump over traps, but seems to have stopped in there and seems quite content.. tied up some war elephants outside, but I dont have much faith in them. Thankfully its not moved in a couple of seasons so (cautiously) happy enough
    Prisoner killing room rebuilt elsewhere
    Thankfully my nobles have been fairly reasonable, though the previous mayor demanded an adamantine door for his bedroom(!).. of which I've never even seen a bar of.. thankfully he didnt throw a wobbler, and has since been suceeded by a more reasonable quiver-obsessed ruler

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of my mates has been raving about this game. I must give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

weird thread is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

After the unrivalled joys of ADOM, I think I'll give this a try. There's something special about a game when it can actually make you wary about a purple coloured capital D...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I had been of half a mind to try this out for quite a few months now, so I went and took the plunge at last, I'm following the tutorial in the OP.

Having a lot of fun, just about ready to get stuck into trading properly (I think).

Reminds me of Dungeon Keeper, what with the tunnelling and room designation etc. Thought it would be fun to show it to my girlfriend and see what she thought of me looking after little blips bouncing about the screen. She reckons it's like the Sims.

I am worried though.. that I'm going to get nothing done at work now :D

would appear my run of fantastic artifact creation has reached its pinnacle!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I would play Dwarf Fortress
    but it looks like an arcadey version of Disgaea
    i.e.
    it's video games' crack cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i live on disgeae for a fe months and have since managed to give it up cold turkey...though this is intriguing me...

tba wrote: »

:eek:

Advertisement