Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a Freezer in a Small Shed

• 28-06-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hi i need to put a Freezer in a Small Brick Shed its about 5ft x 3ft ,
    i used to use this shed as an every day shed so i just want to know i have washed it down well with jeyes fluid etc, but im going to get a bit of lino on concrete.

What is the best thing to paint on the wall can i do a masonary paint or must i use a poly bond paint ??

Also i was going to run an extension lead from the main house out to the shed so i can have power will this be ok and safe enough any recommendations please ?...:D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Funny enough I done this recently into a wooden shed.
    Forget the extension lead & do it correctly & permanantly.
    Run 2.5mm NYMJ surface (as high as possible) along a wall & feed into kitchen or external socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

can u simplify that a little bit im not an electrician,

do u have any pictures plz ?:rolleyes:

also we have the old fashion screw in fuse aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where werr you planning on running your extension lead from?
    NYMJ is the type of cable you want. Its designed for outdoor use.
    2 .5 mm is the gauge of the cable .
    In the shed wire this cable into a normal socket. Run the cable from the shed allong wall or fence keeping the cable as high as possible.
    From here you need to decice where you intend feeding the power from.
    Remember to isolate the mains before making any connections.
    If you are not fully comfortable doing this type of work its best to employ an electrician. Remember safety first!

My father is an electrician but he has parkinson,s

but my real questions are this : do i have to drill a hole into the main house then to get a socket were i turn the fuse off and double connect this wire to another external socket in the house and tun this wire with a socket at the end of it to the shed were i have to drill another hole, my only concern then would be drilling into the house and shed

the shed is about 4 feet away from the house , i also have to avoid the gas outlet

This is the way I did it.
    I drilled out behind an existing socket in the kitchen. At that exit point I fitted a double external socket. I wired from the existing socket in the kitchen out to the new external sockets & onto a new socket in the shed. This leaves the external sockets free for other uses & also means all connections are more secure & sealed.
    What are your concerns re drilling?

• Advertisement

:pac:main house i feel bit nervous prob afraid i hit a wire or wall collapse lol

:pac:So u drilled out of ur house near ur original socket and put a double socket above it so now u have 4 double sockets, then drill hole in shed put a single socket in shed connect up

main house i feel bit nervous prob afraid i hit a wire or wall collapse lol

I drilled out from behind existing socket. I mounted external sockets directly over where the cable comes out. No holes visable.

your sockets are outside on the wall is that not dangerous ?

can you tell me were you got the sockets so i get the right ones thanks

faolteam wrote: »
    your sockets are outside on the wall is that not dangerous ?

can you tell me were you got the sockets so i get the right ones thanks

They are externsal sockets, they are IP rated.
    You will get them in any decent DIY store Woddies, B & Q etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Warning:

Fridges or Freezers are NOT designed to work in cold environments (ie cold shed)!!!

Fridges/Freezers work on a heat-pump principle, basically moving heat from one source to another, and in fridge/freezer terms means heat from inside of fridge to the WARM metal mesh at the back.

If this metal mesh is cold your freezer will not work properly and cause you food to defrost!!!

Simple fix is a mini 150W frost heater directly under the metal mesh, downside is your electricity bill will go up!

Edit:

Found this:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&printertopic=1&t=39852&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult&popup=1

Advertisement