Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a Buggy game count as a faulty good?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just wondering since I just thought of the idea.

Say you buy a new game and it's buggy as hell. My latest example would have been Empire which pretty much sat on a shelf for a month or so until the worst of the bugs were ironed out.

Would you have a case against the supplier or the producer that the item wasn't fit for purpose? Or are they covered by the EULA? Is the EULA even a binding document under EU law? I thought I'd read something about it containing clauses that are held within unwaiverable consumer rights legislation or something.

Just curious. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Supplier has nothing to do with it, unless the physical entity (which would be the Disc) had something wrong with it. The issue would lie with the producer, however art in any form is purely subjective. If you go see a film in the cinema and it is utter nonsense with so many problems (such as inconsistencies or seeing the camera man in shot) you can't do anything about it. All that would be suggested is; check reviews in future. And as far as I can tell, the same would apply here.

It sucks, but I don't think there has ever been a game which was not buggy/problematic for someone, somewhere; most noticeably on PC due to the innumerable amounts of hardware configurations out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've tried to get money refunded to me on the basis of a game being unplayable due to it being buggy but got nowhere with it. The publisher just couldn't care less once they had my money.

The game was Splinter Cell: Double Agent, published by Ubisoft.

They're reply to my query was that they could not guarantee that my system was in a fit state to play the game and that software issues on my side were clearly causing the problem. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was a %^$^£ port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I've tried to get money refunded to me on the basis of a game being unplayable due to it being buggy but got nowhere with it. The publisher just couldn't care less once they had my money.

The game was Splinter Cell: Double Agent, published by Ubisoft.

They're reply to my query was that they could not guarantee that my system was in a fit state to play the game and that software issues on my side were clearly causing the problem. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was a %^$^£ port.

You could try the small claims court. Ubisoft might say that your system wasn't fit to play the game in correspondence, but assuming that it matches or supercedes the requirements printed on the box, you would already be covered by their advertised requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Liber8or wrote: »
    Supplier has nothing to do with it, unless the physical entity (which would be the Disc) had something wrong with it.

Not necessarily. The supplier is selling it as being playable as per the minimal requirements printed on the box, so if it doesn't play, then they are also responsible for that claim failing (assuming it isn't an issue with system). It may be better in the long run to go with the producer of the game though.
    The issue would lie with the producer, however art in any form is purely subjective. If you go see a film in the cinema and it is utter nonsense with so many problems (such as inconsistencies or seeing the camera man in shot) you can't do anything about it. All that would be suggested is; check reviews in future. And as far as I can tell, the same would apply here.

Not exactly the same thing. Games are sold on the basis of being playable. If the producers went by your argument, then they would be claiming that the game is supposed to bug out and become unplayable, something, I presume, not printed on the box.
    I could understand your argument if we are talking about non-game-breaking bugs (graphical errors etc), but the op is talking about bugs that make the game unplayable.
    It sucks, but I don't think there has ever been a game which was not buggy/problematic for someone, somewhere; most noticeably on PC due to the innumerable amounts of hardware configurations out there.

Thats why they have system requirements printed on the back of packaging.

Advertisement